How did we shoot.............

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hamster

I could have had the weekend to remember but :( Started the Sunday well enough with a 96 which I later found out via Ross Straker was good for joint HG :D , then set off at 6.30 am for Sarfdown on the Monday for the 200 birder.Nice steady start on the first course with 85 which was clearly 10 shy of being ON it (GD had shot 99 I`m told , brilliant) but felt good anyway as none of it was easy.Sandwich gulped and onto the second course which everyone warned was tougher (GD had posted 95) , personally I just couldn`t see it that way as I was only 6 birds down after 8 stands .Then the strangest thing happened. It was as though whatever drugs I was on had worn off and I hit a cliff. Believe me I had straighted or 9`d some clever stands by then so would have backed myself to shoot another 85 with ease. But I dropped 14 on the next 4 stands. No way they were that hard .One strange thing worth a mention is stand 11 where a longish midi R/L was followed by a much closer airborne rabbit L/R. Here most of my squad pulverized the first bird but nobody could break more than one or at best two of the other, a few blanking it, I broke a 5. One of the guys shot and missed the report airborne rabbit and as I tracked it`s fall down to earth, it suddenly fell apart some 10 ft off the ground. I mentioned this after the shooter had finished and the consensus of opinion was that it was technically a break. I`m convinced many of these (slightly angled) rabbits were infact hit but wouldn`t break with such small shot. In the main it was another fantastic Southdown set up, loads of entertainment, angles, lots of distance and speed. One point is that there were next to no quartering birds and none coming from behind, no criticism but I like these as I tend to hit them so just being selfish I guess ;) .

Nice work to begin with mate!I had 2 days of it- Sunday a tough one at grange farm, hard work to get 92 but managed hg. Went from there to barro heath where I found Paul Simpson sitting on top with a 98, followed by phil thorrold on 97. I assumed it was dead soft but half way round I wasn't so sure! I missed 2 on my last stand to end on 96, I could see a 97 at best so Pauls effort was top drawer.Monday went to kegworth to shoot second day of the promatic challenge. Did 96 which given Arnies targets and the weather I was dead pleased with. Nick Hendrick did the same, next man down was Ben on 91. Went from there to Orston which was a great shoot; some tough old birds but all fair. Shot a blinder till my last 3 stands where I dropped a bucket load to end on 90 which wasn't enough to catch John Lee who shot a very good 94. Managed to scrape AA which was not a total loss! Was ready for bed that evening!

Blinding scores as ever, Ed and Hamster!Popped over to the Shooting Club on BH Monday for 100 ESP - shot a 73 which I was fairly ok with. I would've liked to have broken 80+ but there you go.

Quote from EdSolomons on August 30, 2011, 23:16Nice work to begin with mate!I had 2 days of it- Sunday a tough one at grange farm, hard work to get 92 but managed hg. Went from there to barro heath where I found Paul Simpson sitting on top with a 98, followed by phil thorrold on 97. I assumed it was dead soft but half way round I wasn't so sure! I missed 2 on my last stand to end on 96, I could see a 97 at best so Pauls effort was top drawer.Monday went to kegworth to shoot second day of the promatic challenge. Did 96 which given Arnies targets and the weather I was dead pleased with. Nick Hendrick did the same, next man down was Ben on 91. Went from there to Orston which was a great shoot; some tough old birds but all fair. Shot a blinder till my last 3 stands where I dropped a bucket load to end on 90 which wasn't enough to catch John Lee who shot a very good 94. Managed to scrape AA which was not a total loss! Was ready for bed that evening!
Brilliant shootin Ed :) I hope you bring that sort of form over to Ireland for next weekend !what time are we shooting on the Sunday am ? Nige

Cheers matey! I hope it stays dry. I recon be on the first stand shells in and calling pull 1 second past opening time!!

Had a quick pop over to Four Counties before the GP. Nothing special, 35/50 I think. Had to do something though before my holiday!

Pipped you by 1 mate, shot a 36 :) nothing too stiff down there this morning but the wind made things interesting esp on the stand in the top field (1 coming over left shoulder and r-l) the r-l was getting knocked down by the wind big style! simo l-r in the trees was interesting when the sun peeked through as well.Fuzrat

Yes I agree. Only hit one of those L>R over the shoulder ones over the field. Not really sure where I was with that one TBH

from what I saw (myself included on the first 2) people were starting with their barrels too high and slashing through it and missing infront, only needed to shoot the right edge off /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif Fuzrat

I shot at Valley View (review coming later) with Tonky70 from the forum - shot a 67, which i think is one of my highest out of 100 scores ever - so I'm pleased with that... shot generally well apart from a sim pair which I screwed up quite badlt...

81/100 for me today at Wallers Ash GC, shot over 14 stands ( two lay outs red and blue) then had a go at the compak and done a 16/25, I need to  study the compak a bit more as I'm not always 100%  sure as to where the targets are coming from next, although it had the order on cards in front of me /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-confused.gifWas a good morning out with good friends /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif Rob

Weston Wood for me (and CleverSC3 his friend) – trickier than last time I went and I came away a bit grumpy with a 47 – I was disappointed to have an old concentration issue reappearing – that is going to need to have some work.All-in-all a good morning, new shooting friends and a decent bacon roll. Oh - and great shooting Robo - nothing wrong with that score!

Last edited by a moderator:
Could of gone to either flightlines or weston wood, so chose the harder of the two as im a glutton for punishment../wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gifFirst time there and really enjoyed it.missed some really easy targets and missed some hard ones as wellsaw a couple of big names there, a 94 was leading when I left. I shot nowhere near that however.Will definately go there again and may try the pool shoot next time.Must work on finishing the shot as I was stopping the gun and still must try to be smoother.Some long targets there that I will need to practice on

Good man Robo.....I get lost as well even though the card is in front :)Stick at it Gav.Matt........no Mr Grumpy please .......it is just a game :) (she said with the £50 in her pocket ) :)

Matt, you shot the targets well. Just not enough of them! Same as me.. You will progress quickly if you keep doing that sort of shoot. Nice shooting with you. You made my hangover more pleasant..CheersCSC3

Unusual one for me as I lost to GD and Jamie Brightman, 98 & 95 as you do /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif, but felt really good anyway. I`m pretty sure I got into the money with my 91 as there were loads of mid 80`s scores by good shooters. GD and JB were each separately hosting a couple of Canadians, one with a camera apparently doing an article for their clay magazine. I had a very pleasent exchange with JB who shot really well despite having to tag these chaps around who also shot. I think he`s a good one for you to interview for this site Matt, I don`t think he gets the mention he deserves, he did come runner up to GD at the recent Southdown Grand Masters with a 188, he must have exceptional eye sight because he seems to have  a very conventional technique and never has to do anything unusual on a stand yet he always ends up near the top.

Yep - he's on my list - I will reach out to him when I get back from the US.

I started off at Shugborough, had a horrendous showing! Not sure if it was because I wasnt enjoying the shoot (very dull targets) or if I had a not so great nights sleep but was like someone else was shooting for me, most unpleasant. Drove off to Kibworth for the 50 registred FITASC tehy had on a did the 50 to win by 5 which was a small consolation for the mornings effort (or lack of!). My end of season target of 93% average on sporting is looking a bit shaky now; could do with a few monsters in October befor I put the gun to sleep!

Latest posts

Back