Your best day of sporting shooting?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExSCA

ShootClay Admin
What has been your best day of Sporting shooting?For me - I'm going to say Beretta World this year - my first competition and whilst I didn't score highly - I did score better than I expected and not even last in my squad! The venue was great, the targets were interesting and my squad was full of great people who were good fun. For a first competition it was superb.No - I know that you all have had MANY days of sporting shooting - which one sticks out in your mind?

Really enjoyed Beretta, not much waiting, shot pretty good as only my second big shoot.This years game fair shot my first and last 80% and very happy with that.Worst was definately Churchill classic, first big comp and shot rubbish and ready to jack it in half way round.

A few year ago now but I won two seperate days game shooting once at the Annual Ashford Valley Hunt shoot, one for 1st (not HG) and the other as part of the winning team shoot. I tend to enjoy regular shoots as much as the majors so for me the icing on the cake is if I myself do justice to the the targets.

my best score and one of the best days I have enjoyed shooting was at Banbridge Sporting Gun Club this time last year when I shot an 80 in the pouring rain, I was using my Browning Gold Sporting Clays semi auto, for some reason I focused more because of the rain, I've had a few and I mean a few good days since then but that one was my best achievement in shooting since I returned a few years ago.Nige

My best moment was winning the Classic Sporting in B Class and taking home a gun and coming 3rd in B Class at the British Open and taking the Bronze medal at Somerly House! Is a few years ago now but that was a great moment!Other Great moments was my PB at West Wycombe SG of 96 and obviously taking Team Bronze in the European Helice in Italy.Best ever shoots probably :-1. World Fitasc Championship Claythorne Lodge, Kansas, USA2. European Fitasc Championship Prague, Czech Republic Konopiste3. European Fitasc Chapionship, Montfortinho, Portugal4. Dorhout Mees Dutch Grand Prix FitascGlen.

Any time I shoot with Dave Carrie and Sean bramley- we always have a brilliant time and is one of the few times I don't care how many miss!

I have had plenty of `nearly` great days; but the nature of Sporting means that I almost always get caught out on one stand or other and ruin the card. Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.. D`oh! I suppose two memorable ones came within the last year. Firstly was a registered at Hornet, where I made a late decision to go and went round on my own. For some reason I just kept hitting them. With three stands to go I had dropped just 6 targets and the scorer, having seen my card, actually made me stop and calm down before I shot his stand 10. Another straight! Two stands to go. One was a toughie where Chris Childerhouse had apparently dropped four. I dropped two. The last stand was not hard, but my head was so full of `wow it could be 92` that I missed two more for a 90, still my best registered score. The other good one was at the RBSS Classic this year, where my first go was enough to stick me in the final and I lead the first week, winning some dosh!. I actually shot a higher score on a later attempt,  but it was nice to know that I didn't need to have done it. They say it is the taking part that counts. Wadda load of sh.../wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif Cheers,CSC3

This weekend has to be right up there for me, never enjoyed shooting so average in my life! Must be getting old, but the company and atmosphere were top class.

C'mon Ed, you must be fishing with that comment. Go on then I'll say it: `I wish I could be as average as you`/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif CSC3

The 2nd time I went clay shooting, where I scored 35/75 which was over double my first (terrible) score of 15/75. It was also just the right temp, not too much sun but not too dull. I just like to see progress I guess!

ha not at all if you'd seen me on Sunday you would see what I mean- ask nige! Chris childerhouse managed it though- he got to bed 2 hours after me I think and shot a rather more respectable score! My average was probably 8-10 less than normal over the weekend yet I enjoyed it more than any shoot I have done this year. I recommend the place and hospitality to anyone :)

nice one Ed - lookin forward to you comin back  or us goin over to you -- whatever comes first - Happy days btw I wouldn't mind being that 8-10 birds behind you every time  - no chance of that though  /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif Nige

My best day was at EJ Churchills shooting a university competition.  It was only 50 targets on 7 stands; I didn't realise I had only missed one until the last stand - of course someone pointed it out as I walked onto the stand - promptly missed the first pair before finishing on 47.  I won by a couple and was quite pleased as all the decent university teams where there.  I've had a few decent scores on 100 target comp's but that one was special.  I was accused of cheating though as I was about twenty years older than most of the other students..../wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-surprised.gif  But thier eyes are better than mine so it must cancel out experience!

Mine is almost the same as Drymounts…. 7 stand 50 birder at my local club, I knew I was shooting well that day then a squad member told me I was on for a full house, with 2 stands to go I started thinking about it to much and missed 1 teal, then on the last stand which was a Right to Left quartering pair I missed the first pair out /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-yell.gif ended up on a 47/50 !  I was pleased with the score though,and I've never done a 47 since …. maybe today? /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif Rob

Last edited by a moderator:
Sunday just gone coming out of a tough period trying too hard to hit an 80 score and stuck an 88 (PB) in to finish joint 1st in B and 13th overall ex 178 - faith restored Bring on Fauxdegla this weekend!

I've got a single stand that was memorible,

A group of us were shooting 100 reg ESP at Grimsthorpe about 15 year ago, I was in my late teens and just gone into C class from juniors if I recall correct.

We went round the back of the wood to a stand looking over a field of corn, we qeued up for ages to get on, it was a very tough stand, lots of people not doing well at all, crowd of 30-40 waiting at all times.

There was a left to right crosser off like hell close in 6 foot off the deck, very limited window of oportunity, then an incomer dropping into the corn a good way off.

I went on and dropped 1 or 2 out of 8 and came out of the cage to a round of applause, I had never been so proud.

Apart from getting 3rd once in C class at North yorks, that was the highlight of my CPSA shooting!

I do recall a memorable stand at Hornet about three years ago. It was windy. A target was being blown out to about 80 yards, luckily showing face. (Kevin admitted that it was meant to be a long bird but the wind had made it silly). There was a medium hard crosser first, with the long one on report. I watched a whole bunch of guys including Carl Bloxham drop loads. Carl even double barrelled the first bird because the second was so tough.

It was five pairs. I estimated the lead as 14 feet bottom left and smacked it every time! There was a big crowd waiting and it went dead quiet after I hit the first three pairs. Another pair hit, then on the last pair I dropped the easier bird just down to nerves. Still got a few claps as I walked off the stand..

Blind squirrel.. Still got a nut..

Latest posts

Back