Osteoarthritis

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wynno

As the title say's ,I've been diagonsed with osteoarthritis in my right shoulder. I have'nt shot since the " Growler " and to be honest my shoulder ached for a good while afterwards, I found the flush was the hardest  on the shoulder.

I shoot a Perazzi mx2000s that has a good gel pad fitted,however I've been thinking about having a recoil reducer fitted, does any one have any thoughts on them, are they the dog bo*****s when it comes to recoil reduction,can they be retro fitted, who does it and at what cost.

Any other suggestions on pain relief would be welcome, my GP has suggested paracetamol and exercise, but I prefer single malt whisky and gentle exercise in lifting the glass to my lips :prankster:   though that is costing an arm and a leg and is'nt doing my liver any good.

Thanks to all

wynno

Paracetamol is always thought to be a bit wimpy as far as pain relief is concerned but if you take 2 of 500 mg tablets 4 times a day without fail the pain relief effect builds up and does quite a good job.  You can always top it up with Ibuprofen.

Paracetamol is always thought to be a bit wimpy as far as pain relief is concerned but if you take 2 of 500 mg tablets 4 times a day without fail the pain relief effect builds up and does quite a good job.  You can always top it up with Ibuprofen.
Or more/stronger whisky!!!

I was prescribed Co-codamol for my arthritis. It is a mixture of Paracetamol and Codeine and comes in various strengths of Paracetamol content.

The lowest strength worked for me and I now take it only occasionally.

I don't think it is advisable to take two painkillers at the same time,such as Paracetamol and Ibuprofen,without  medical advice.

I started taking supplements for arthritis and reckon they work for me.

I take Glucosamine and Calcium and Omega 3 Oil. They take at least a month to become effective but,like I said they seem to work for me

Good Luck,

Vic.

Les53

I like it, If you want to send me a couple of bottles I'd be most grateful

As a fellow sufferer I would recommend a change to 21 gm loads with the occasional 24 gm when needed.As long as you are only shooting for fun or against your mates these light cartridges should go a long way to reducing the damage to your shoulder. I have tried recoil reducers and various gel pads and rubber recoil pads but in my opinion it is easier not to create excessive recoil than to try and deal with its effects once created !

I'd take T.C's advice and use the lowest recoiling cartridges you can find. A couple of days ago I had a lesson and was consistently breaking very long crossers with 21gram fibre cartridges. I carry a few 24g, but don't use many.

I would also have a look on the recoil systems website. I have an Isis 2 recoil reducer on my gun and think it is fantastic. Because they are made from a polymer they are relatively light (not like some others) and so do not upset the balance of the gun. You can also save weight at the end of the stock by fitting a Isis green pad as they are considerably lighter than others such as Kickeez (and better).

Vic that is what is needed, first I have saw someone doing what the body needs for once, and not just masking the problem.

Plan to take some more painkillers before the shoot and continue for a day or so after then just take as required.

Changing to a gas semi with little recoil such as the new Beretta will extend your shooting life also.

As the title say's ,I've been diagonsed with osteoarthritis in my right shoulder. I have'nt shot since the " Growler " and to be honest my shoulder ached for a good while afterwards, I found the flush was the hardest on the shoulder.

I shoot a Perazzi mx2000s that has a good gel pad fitted,however I've been thinking about having a recoil reducer fitted, does any one have any thoughts on them, are they the dog bo*****s when it comes to recoil reduction,can they be retro fitted, who does it and at what cost.

Any other suggestions on pain relief would be welcome, my GP has suggested paracetamol and exercise, but I prefer single malt whisky and gentle exercise in lifting the glass to my lips :prankster: though that is costing an arm and a leg and is'nt doing my liver any good.

Thanks to all

wynno
Problem with OA is its degenerative, therefore will only get worse but you can slow down the changes to the joint with muscle strengthening exercises. I know it can be a bit of a pain to complete them but it really is the only option if you want to keep shooting for a few more years....Pain in the joint causes incorrect/inhibited muscle activity which then leads to degeneration which then leads to pain which then leads to incorrect/inhibited muscle activity and so on....

Get the joint as strong and mobile as possible and that should keep the pain levels down although there will always be some pain unfortunately but you can limit this with exercises. If you like I'll message you with some good exercises to do?..

Wilfie.

Thanks anything that will help is marvelous, please pm me, my e-mail address should be there I think. 

Clanchief

I'm not a fan of semi autos so that avenue is not worth exploring.

Cheers to you all for some great advice

Problem with OA is its degenerative, therefore will only get worse but you can slow down the changes to the joint with muscle strengthening exercises. I know it can be a bit of a pain to complete them but it really is the only option if you want to keep shooting for a few more years....Pain in the joint causes incorrect/inhibited muscle activity which then leads to degeneration which then leads to pain which then leads to incorrect/inhibited muscle activity and so on....

Get the joint as strong and mobile as possible and that should keep the pain levels down although there will always be some pain unfortunately but you can limit this with exercises. If you like I'll message you with some good exercises to do?..
What he said. I'd say invest in a personal trainer and get a three month course with them and see how you are. Resistance training is great in so many ways, but I only took to it because I was introduced to it properly and carefully.

Glucosamine Chondroitin is my osteo's recommendation, but in combination with exercise. I get mine from www.myprotein.com because it's the best value I've found and also has MSM. You can get ordinary glucosamine in Poundland but it never helped for me. 

Sympathy though. Osteoarthritis sucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
PTs can be expensive though and I reckon you would get much better advice from a Physio but then i am biased... ;-) the exercises are pretty simple and can be done in your own home without fancy kit...

Just a thought but do many others on here suffer with Shoulder OA?

PTs can be expensive though and I reckon you would get much better advice from a Physio but then i am biased... ;-) the exercises are pretty simple and can be done in your own home without fancy kit...

Just a thought but do many others on here suffer with Shoulder OA?
Physios are also good. Depends on how badly off you are. If it's late stages then yes, serious remedial work should come from a physio.

PTs are not IME as expensive as shooting coaches so I think we can all agree that it's an individual perception of value :) 

Without doubt, the best recoil reduction device is a Presicion Fit Stock. Grips are available for all Perazzi's.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back