Essex Masters 2013

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy Baker

Shot the 200 at Hepworth hall today
With Shootlcay members
Nicky T and Mark Jones.
Joined by Paul and John from way up north.
Food tent and trade stands for those in a spending frame of mind.
Well organised entry run by Rose who controlled the squads well.
We were second away but moved to first to accommodate for a tardy Mr Digweed.
We went out on the Red course first.
Nothing impossible on this course.
Well set targets that were hitable
Concentration was required as silly ones and twos could slip past you.
I shot 73/100 here leaving maybe five out based on my ability.
The best stand (enjoyability wise) was a sim pair off the tower Standard and Midi well set to seem crossing.
Hour lunch break was nice plenty of time do amble about eat shop etc.
Then onto the black course.
Again nothing massive all needed head on shooting.
Many sim pairs needed work on which to take first.
I shot 71/100 here. Last three stands took 13 of the losses. Hey ho. Need to work harder.
Tough last stand.

Really enjoy the "big" day.
Great shooting with The Squad.

Enjoy if you are going.

First time at this event and will sure stick in my mind for all the right reasons. Despite the 4am start to avoid traffic I think that was one of the most enjoyable shoots I've done in a while. The organisation was top notch, I think our squad prob only had 3 no birds in TOTAL!!.
There were pallets at every stand to put you kit on should the weather turn and the whole route was laid with wood chip. Our squad started on time and of note were the well printed menu cards on each stand,v clear. As for the targets, as Jem said, there was nothing there that was ninja, just need to keep it tight and not let 1's and 2's slip away. Was a bit annoyed on the black course as there was a bloody great tree branch close to me at my eyeline that didn't seem to bother the more vertically challenged, guss you win some and loose some but in this case I dropped 5 on this stand. Think I shot 80 on red and 77 on black which is about right looking at my recent scores. Nice to meet Nicky from on here and wish anyone else shooting it the best of luck. See you all next season!
Mark

As Jeremy stated it was a cracking day out with a top squad and good to meet Mark and his high rib DT10 :)

The two courses (of thirteen stands apiece, all four pairs unless otherwise stated) were spot on! We started on red which was comprised of the following:

1. L-R incomer o/r R-L blaze quartering away

2. R-L low white crosser o/r L-R blaze Battue

3. Low incomer on the right o/r L-R high midi crosser

4. L-R climbing target o/r blaze teal

5. R-L climbing target o/r rabbit

6. L-R close blaze crosser o/r overhead

7. Going away blaze from the right o/r white low looping incomer over water

8. Sim pair of R-L off tower, one std one midi

9. L-R quartering away o/r R-L blaze quartering in

10. Sim pair of double trap birds, one blaze one black

11. R-L rabbit o/r L-R midi off tower

12. R-L Battue o/r R-L off tower

13. L-R blaze curling crosser o/r white going away (2 pairs)

I shot an 83 on the above, enjoyed a good hour or so for lunch then on the black course:

1. R-L climber o/r blaze teal

2. L-R quartering incomer o/r R-L quartering away

3. Cannot recall!

4. Blaze teal o/r R-L climbing crosser

5. Sim pair fast R-L rabbit and L-R quartering away

6. L-R white crosse o/r R-L curling crosser

7. Driven midi o/r L-R climbing crosser

8. Low white going away from the right o/r L-R fast rabbit

9. Sim pair of blaze Battue and looping midi

10. R-L looper o/r L-R crosser

11. Edge on looper going away o/r R-L crosser

12. High looper from the right o/r L-R low fast crosser into water

13. Four singles full use of gun.

I shot a 79 on the above to finish on a combined total of 162. Yet again another great course and well worth the £75 entry fee.

Good luck to any other ShootClayers going this week :)

Good day 11.15 start on the Black back at 2 ish then 30 mins and back out finishing at 5 so an endurance test but great weather, had a stop over last night after a 3 hrs drive and 11 hrs at work but was suffering by the end of the first round which cost me a decent score. All very shootable, 8 down first 8 stands on the red but then the wheels fell off and finished on 78. Red felt harder but could had been fatigue and dropped far too many to end on 72 overall fairly happy for a B classer! With 150. Overall a great day and my first 200 comp. so lots learnt. I think GD has hit 194!

Really enjoyed it; in my opinion the degree of difficulty was set about right to suit the majority. Had the privilege of having John Bidwell in our squad, what a great shot and amicable guy!
Great day out and even the weather was kind for a change.

Do they normally post any scores during the shoot or is it just the winners at the end??? :money:

Do they normally post any scores during the shoot or is it just the winners at the end??? :money:
My absolute pet hate is the lack of scores posted at any open shoot. As an entrant, you have the right (IMO) for timely full scores access. No excuse these days..

Posting scores never was their strong point. Other than that always a very enjoyable shoot.

What is the catering like this year? The last 2 years it hasn't been very good.

2 years ago it closed before the last squads came in so couldn't even get a drink before we left for home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I'm not interested in scores until I have shot

I did hear George shot 96 and 98 so there all hit table will try tomo

I saw scores during the week last year for the Essex masters....

Latest posts

Back