High grade cheaper gun or low grade expensive gun?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonny English

Just a passing though from during the day. Given a half decent budget what would most people do. Buy a high grade 68 series beretta or miroku mk etc or go for a s/h or bottom grade better gun ie DT beretta or B2G browning etc. gun makes and models and cost etc are only indicative, its just the question of big fish little pond or vice versa given the chance for yhe same budget?

Well i would say find a good sh dt10 or similar. Plenty of good stuff around. But if like me you have a thing about buying new then obviously you buy the best yet can. There are no bad guns they all do the same thing, goes without saying that gun fit is the most important thing.

I originally bought a brand new Ultra XS then when I fell out with it I asked myself the same question and ended up with a S/H DT10 as a replacement.

For the right gun at the right price S/H for me, when I make my millions then I will get my man to pick the new one up from the factory and have him remind me what second hand means again...

I would try and shoot a few to see which one works best and buy that. Just because a gun is of higher grade or higher price doesn't mean your going to hit anymore targets than you would with a cheaper one. Save some money for cartridges/clays or if needed coaching

Last edited by a moderator:
My question was hypethetical really i'm not really looking for a new gun at the minute. If fit, cost, brand etc were all equal which way would you go.

This all stems from looking at the Browning heritage on the browning site last night, £4,000 ish of gun which is a side plated 525, or do you go for a s/h B2 G for similar money. Again brands and prices etc only used for examples.

Well i would go new but i am funny like that. Prob better value sh but hey ho

Which ever way you look at it, buying new you instantly lose 20% Vat. 

So I would always prefer to buy a good S/H fortunately I have realised that the finest clay gun for any discipline will only cost £2700 retail new and it is possible to get discounts for cash or no trade in.

2nd hand, previously loved / adored etc, and would the look to gun fit and have any alterations done.

With reference to a post I made (my problem) just after the growler and mulling things over with reference to all the posts and chatting to people , a few days ago I headed off to rugby gunshop with an open mind . Sor and my self were talking to Adam (grange farm ) and he was drooling over his beautiful caesar guerini so in rugby gunshop they had a caesar guerini summit second hand after ummin & arring i picked up a browning 525 with 30" barrels , after a bit of faffing about I bought a browning 525 with 32" barrels 2013 model brand new and walked out with a big smile on me fizhog .

I would try and shoot a few to see which one works best and buy that. Just because a gun is of higher grade or higher price doesn't mean your going to hit anymore targets than you would with a cheaper one. Save some money for cartridges/clays or if needed coaching
You won't hit more with a high grade gun ,but you will miss in a very stylish fashion!!!

Chippy

Buy what makes you happy and you will keep. They all go bang and will break the clay if pointed in the right direction.

That said, I would always get used and better quality for longevity.

Generally if you buy a high grade less expensive gun ,all your getting is a better grade timber and better engraving  if this is your thing ,you'd have to go this route , but personally i'd go second hand and get a better quality (action ,barrels mechanics ect. ) gun (although everyone generally likes a nice grade of timber )

I think it's better just to find a gun that you can shoot well. The cost and grade are not important, well unless you're skint that is! I have spent a fortune on high grade/price guns that, for me at least, shot no better and often a lot worse than the cheapo 3800 I have now, which I originally bought in 1991. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think its human nature to buy the best you can afford in all things in life. But take my advice stay away from expensive women. Divorce can be crippling :)

I think its human nature to buy the best you can afford in all things in life. But take my advice stay away from expensive women. Divorce can be crippling :)
Dead right Ian, I had two of those! :fie:

like a great car. Running costs aren't cheap but the real loss is when you sell it! :)

Latest posts

Back