Touchy subject - covered many times (like an old horse!) Cartridges

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Growl

I know this is an emotive subject and has been done (to death) before.

I need some opinions please.

currently I shoot Eley VIPs and am very happy with them (so I should not change - shortest ever post) I am trying to consider alternatives going forward.

I like the VIPs as I find them incredebly smooth shooting, not punchy and yet devestating at all ranges, what else is there???

I was tempted to try the Clever Mirage range and have had a few recommendations, problem is my nearest stockist is 2 hours away!

Next week I will have a great opportunity to try a few different shells as I am off to high lodge for 4 days and would be able to try a few in between lessons without having any competition pressure.

so to sum up, smooth and devastating (like me) available in Stafford area - cost not a major issue, but preferably no more than the VIPs

Cmon, suggest away, but remember thumpy bangers are not n option in my book tried tested and found wanting.

cheers all, Growl.

I would say if you're happy with them, stick with them, because in my opinion it's all in your head anyway.

Modern cartridges are all good and although everybody has a favourite, I believe it's just psychological.

I use Gamebore (Kent) Velocity. Cheap as chips and just as good as anything else, including all this expensive garbage. Perhaps a AAA class shot might glean one extra clay at a 100 bird shoot if he uses poncey cartridges but at our level it doesn't make a jot of difference (except in your head). :hyper:

Shortest reply, try what your temptation is, call Tom at NASG on 01294 833 297 job done. The super targets are all you need and more serious comp try some T2's also.

cheers Chard, I suppose we all look for the 'clay seeking missile' and I agree a lot of this is 'in your head' I would like to try some alternatives but I suppose when I'm shooting in comps now I'm happy with the eleys I'd have a constant niggle that sits in the back of my swede whispering words of doubt (you would hit this mother if you'd have used the old shells).

Availability is always a key element, unless you are happy to order 10,000 which usually means free delivery. The other alternative is to occasionally shoot at a distant ground which stocks what you want and buy several thousand to take home.

Like you, I used to shoot Eley VIP. Fairly smooth, but pricey with no ballistic advantage that you will ever capitalise on compared to other cheaper options. (Also, as with everything Eley they leave dirty barrels, especially the forcing cones, which bothers me..)

I have always searched for something that patterns well enough and does not cost the earth. They must also be non-thumpy and clean to suit my preference. I ended up very happy with Clever T2, ticking all boxes at £180. I initially used the T3, but they are a lot dearer for a slightly better pattern. Can't hardly tell the difference on clays, certainly don't believe the score card knows at all.

I have been examining other cartridges with mixed results. Rios are on test next, because they seem to be similar to the Clever T2 for less money, with slightly better availability. Too early to say yet..

Growl this is so much a personal choice.

Nevertheless, I currently shoot Gamebore Evo Sporting cartridges, and have found them to be at least reasonably priced, soft recoil, they seem to pattern and kill well at all ranges, and I've had no duds.

Worth a try if you want to experiment, so good luck

Btw, massively believe in finding one cartridge that's fits the bill and sticking with it. However, this doesn't mean you can never change; you just need to use the new ones, hit some decent scores and reprogramme your head to accept that they do the job, and move on.

I'm with chard. If you like the recoil characteristics, feel they kill well, are happy with them and don't mind getting arse raped when you pay for them, why change? You have ticked all the boxes so anything else will at best be the same for you, or more likely screw your confidence.
There isn't a shell out there that will add kills to your card, fact. Despite what someone will no doubt crop up with shortly. If I thought a shell at £250/thou was going to hit me more targets, I'd be first in line to buy 5000 of them! But there isn't...
If you have a shell and the price doesn't make you vomit on your shoes, crack on!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Clever, do you travel to fauxdelga to get them of can you have them delivered?
In modest volumes, no, you need to find a dealer nearer you. Not sure where that is.

The ones I would try if I were you would be the Gamebore EVO, the Clever T2 and Rio Targets.

Thanks for all the thoughts guys, I think I will experiment a little to see what is out there and find out if it fits the bill, if my swede starts to give me any niggles I can easily go back to my VIPs, I am happy with them and feel very confident in them, they won't break the bank (yet) but it would be nice to try a few alternatives just to see if I can do the same job with them.

Thanks again, best regards, Growl.

I'm with chard. If you like the recoil characteristics, feel they kill well, are happy with them and don't mind getting arse raped when you pay for them, why change? You have ticked all the boxes so anything else will at best be the same for you, or more likely screw your confidence.
There is t a shell out there that will add kills to your card, fact. Despite what someone will no doubt crop up with shortly. If I thought a shell at £250/thou was going to hit me more targets, I'd be first in line to buy 5000 of them! But there isn't...
If you have a shell and the price doesn't make you vomit on your shoes, crack on!
Ed, ooi what do you use?

Eley Olympics £160 per thousand I've been using for 3 years and they haven't let me down!

I've let them down a few times! .!!

My brother (28 bore shot) will say the same a 21 or 24 gram load will break a clay at 70 meters from the target! my daughters 410 will all so fit the bill for this, any one in disbelieve please contact me and your more than welcome to come and try and see for your self a 21 gram cheap shell will kill just as good if not a little better as faster than your very expensive shells! Remember from the clay not the trap 90 meters 24 gram hull!!!!!

George digweed 150 yards with normal cartridge!

Depends on how much you wish to spend! but I promise any of the cheapest are just as good as the big names! It's just a Market to get in your mind that most expensive is better! :)

Growl,

I've been using 28g (7.5) Hull comp-x for the last 6 months which IMO feel like 21/24g compared with my last 28g FOB vipers. Very smooth and soft. Trouble is I don't really have a prob with recoil so its now in my head that the softer cartridge is giving me a handicap!!

I tried a slab of Gamebore White Gold at the Growler over the weekend and could notice a difference instantly! Much stronger kill and solid feel IMO even with the same idiot at the stock end of the gun

Latest posts

Back