Browning XTR

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hotshot100

Has any one got/shot a Browning XTR or XTR Prestige. Just wondering how they compare against the Miroku MK 38.

Does any one know if the standard XTR is still available with 32" barrels as the only 32" barrels listed in the new Browning catalogue are in the Prestige spec.

I had one for a year or so, also had one or three MK's and personally find the higher combs of the Brownings nicer, I also think they're a little thicker too which suits me but apart from that I don't believe there is enough mechanical difference to favour one over the other. Mine was a 32' Trap version with adjustable wooden comb, would imagine the standard one should be available in that length.

I have an XTR and tried a Mk38 at the same time. The XTR, to me, seemed to have a lot more weight up front than the Mirook, which suited me more. Both nice guns to shoot though. Price may come into it too (it nearly did for me) as, if I remember correctly, there was about 500 quid difference between the two.

Thanks for the info.

That must have been a long time ago Hamid. All that I can remember you shooting is Beretta's.

Thanks for the info.

That must have been a long time ago Hamid. All that I can remember you shooting is Beretta's.
Probably around 5 years ago, I keep buying guns I like the look of and selling them on after a play, the Beretta is a keeper. :)

Probably around 5 years ago, I keep buying guns I like the look of and selling them on after a play, the Beretta is a keeper. :)
Yeah Hammy, I went through a phase of doing that sort of thing too, and I would bet that a lot of others have too! :resent:

Trouble is its so much fun buying guns. I actually miss it now that i have stopped the search. Think i need a project like an early 682 or gold to do up. :)

An old mate has loads of guns. He loves it but it ruins his scores. I'd love to have a play, but I'm score focused so I feel it's a no no..

I've been down that road. Bit of an expensive game though now that I'm retired. Trouble is that it's great buying them but not so good when you come to sell them.

I'm settled now with a Perazzi MX8, Browning Ultra XS Titanium Prestige 32" and a Browning Ultra XS Titanium Prestige 32" 20 bore. The 20 is a very rare gun ,no one that I have spoken to has ever seen one, the Browning rep even told me that they've never made one. Unfortunately they no longer make the titanium chokes in 20 bore, it is the sweetest handling gun imaginable, a real joy to shoot.

You got a few to be going on with there :)
Well I'm down to only one gun these days Ian. Mind you, when I was over with Dennis Stepney last week, he had a rather nice wide rib A1 trap gun in his gun room, not sure if it was for sale though. It brought back a lot of memories of my very early days in trap shooting, back then just about everyone shot a Winchester, a Mirook/Citori, a B25 or an SO, all depended on if you were rich. If you were rich you shot an SO or a B25, if you were poor like me you shot a Winchester or a Mirook/Citori. There were a few 682's, a few Franchi's and a few Perazzi's about, but in general they were not seen as "the real deal" by a lot of the old timers that I shot with in those days. Funny how things change!

Les

Wasnt it an B25 that bob braithwaite used throughout his career ?

Winchester have a place in my heart as my 1st trap gun was a parker hale based on the Winchester action bought new in march 86 for £450 :)

Les

Wasnt it an B25 that bob braithwaite used throughout his career ?

Winchester have a place in my heart as my 1st trap gun was a parker hale based on the Winchester action bought new in march 86 for £450 :)
Yes mate, Bob won an Olympic Gold medal with his B25, not to mention god knows what else, Fred can probably give us a full list, he's good at that sort of stuff. As for the Parker Hale, yes I remember those Ian, they were based on a Winchester, nice guns too! £450 would only get you about 2000 shells these days! How times change mate! :resent:

Braithwaite used a B25 model C3 [what he was thinking when he later had the bottom barrel teagued I don't know], his reward from Browning was a model D5G with Olympic rings. When I handled the D5G I was surprised the stock was hollowed like an eggshell. His cartridges were Legia Star ounce and a quarter reputed to be an ounce of perfect shot and a quarter of mis-shapes to create a fringe. At altitude in Mexico city patterns were tiny [but then there was no air resistance to the clay].

Braithwaite used a B25 model C3 [what he was thinking when he later had the bottom barrel teagued I don't know], his reward from Browning was a model D5G with Olympic rings. When I handled the D5G I was surprised the stock was hollowed like an eggshell. His cartridges were Legia Star ounce and a quarter reputed to be an ounce of perfect shot and a quarter of mis-shapes to create a fringe. At altitude in Mexico city patterns were tiny [but then there was no air resistance to the clay].
 I knew you would know something about Bob Fred. Why was the stock so hollow though? So if the stock was so hollow, surely the gun must have felt really muzzle heavy, didn't it ?

That was how he liked it Les, he was the only one I ever saw who could shoot OT with maintained leed. 70% on the front foot, Bailey said when Bob waggled the back knee you knew he was on form.

He always waggled the back knee

Last edited by a moderator:
That was how he liked it Les, he was the only one I ever saw who could shoot OT with maintained leed. 70% on the front foot, Bailey said when Bob waggled the back knee you knew he was on form.
Well each to his own Fred! At the end of the day it worked better for him than anything I've ever tried myself mate! :laugh:

Cheers Fred very interesting stuff. With hollowed stock that must have been very muzzle heavy. Goes to show once again that there is no right or wrong way. :)

Cheers Fred very interesting stuff. With hollowed stock that must have been very muzzle heavy. Goes to show once again that there is no right or wrong way. :)
Right that's it Ian!!! I've got me hammer and chisel ready...when the 3800 gets back from Dennis Stepney I shal go at it with vigour until the stock is like an eggshell. Then I think I will get one of them there stick on high ribs, or maybe a telescopic sight even! Then I will paint the whole gun in a nice shade of yellow, just so it's visible and people wont bump into it or trip over it. Anyway with all those modifications it's sure to get me into the next Olympics!!!! :nea:   :taunt:

Latest posts

Back