Health and safety gone mad!

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoubleBarrelledDon

Ok, I have seen it all now.....a letter on the back page of pull complaining about the practice of holding 2 shells in the forend hand while shooting as it is supposedly dangerous!  Whilst the gentleman in question is perfectly entitled to his opinion he is patently wrong. It is something I have done while game shooting for the last 25 years or so and there are 1000's more that do it. I also use this technique when shooting flushes and I have never had a problem or seen anyone else have a problem with it other than possibly dropping a shell harmlessly onto the ground but I see plenty enough people drop shells out of the skeet vest pockets as it is. Maybe I am just a wild revolutionary hell raiser (I dont think I would mind that reputation for a while! .) but I really think its a non issue......and while I am at it I really dont think that I am going to go straight to hell for holding a gun over my shoulder either. In my opinion if you dont have the spatial awareness to rest a broken gun over your shoulder without braining someone on the stock then you probably shouldnt be shooting, or driving or trying to cross a road.....

Come on people....I mean......

Yep I read that and thought much the same. :rolleyes:  Some people just love moaning about things they know little about.

We do this all the time, perfectly acceptable when in the game field, or as Don says in a clay flush. It is a great method of speedy loading, I've seen some loaders with 4 cartridges in each hand as well as 2 extras in the teeth when you get on a busy drive with double guns.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get sick of reading these 'holier than thou' safety advocates. It's as if they get into shooting to then pick it apart in the name of 'safety'.

You're dealing with adults here, most of whom are experienced shooters. It's so bad Pull! magazine now devote entire articles to 'how to take a gun from a slip' and similar such mindless topics. By all means have opinions about your fellow competitors, just keep them to yourself.

I read that. It made my sh*t itch, what's the problem?? Some people need to get out more.

I read that. It made my sh*t itch, what's the problem?? Some people need to get out more.
Not the accident in the see through s after all......!!

More important have they let you have a drink yet....

Hope you are not in toooooo much pain.

Psst still not seen a picture 'with' the full ensemble on..!!! :laugh:

I haven't quite lost the will to live, but where on earth do these pillocks come from. Probably one of those that walk around with  a cartridge belt on and a sling on their auto. Some sad buggers need to get a life. 

I think that it is an excellent idea that loaders hold cartridges between their fingers.

The resulting dents and scratches in the wood keeps me busy through the summer months.

As for holding cartridges in the mouth is it not time that BASC and the Wetlands trust banned this obscene practice due to the high level of lead contamination?

Don, I am glad that you are so concerned, splendid ol'chap.

Could I bring it to everyone's  attention that very often your insurance does not cover you whilst taking your vehicle off road to shoots. So could I propose on behalf of the British Heart Foundation that we all walk to our pegs. Or utilise the services of a donkey from Sidmouth Donkey Sanctuary.

And I thought it was only me who laughed when I read the letter.

Phil* :comando:   :haha:

Okay, time to fess up. I just read the letter, wanted to see for myself, but help me out with one thing. Why is carrying a gun over the shoulder a "pet hate" of his? I think it's handy when leaving the cage to hook the gun over the shoulder so it doesn't bump into anything or anyone. I'd hate to think it upsets people.

I'll join you in that confession Westward. I carry my gun broken over my shoulder all the time. Much easier than hanging it over your arm.

I'll join you in that confession Westward. I carry my gun broken over my shoulder all the time. Much easier than hanging it over your arm.
Far better to have ones loader carry the thing! :crazy:

I always carry mine over the shoulder like a true trappissssstaaaaa.

And I do not give a flying fig if anyone does not like it.

If anyone walks into my stock.....they should have gone to specksavers..... :laugh:

Latest posts

Back