Trigger Freeze/Flinching

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psych4shooting

I am interested in those clay shooters who suffer from trigger freeze/flinch. I need to get as many volunteers to help - the information is all confidential, but will just involve filling in forms each time you shoot, regardless of the flinch occuring or not. There is much written about the subject, but the aim is to get some clear facts around it - you maybe asked to help with further research including using heart rate meters and biofeedback analysis (this is a simple electrode attached to your ear). But the key is to start with evaluation/research forms.Thanks to anyone who can help - just send me an email (all in confidence).

I have discovered over the years that I can solve most, not all but most trigger freeze problems.

If your radius on your gun is a little large or the palm swell is a little on the large side etc it can cause you to grip very tight with the trigger hand causing tension through out the wrist. Coupled with the anxiety etc and almost always having a wrong trigger finger position on the trigger, the result is often a flinch or a pulling of the muzzles in a downward direction as the trigger is pulled, missing underneath.

The way I have solved this is:-

Just for a second or two, hold the gun in your front hand only and as near flat as you can but not quite.

Then put your trigger hand open on the side of the stock but just behind the pistol grip.

Then slide the open hand up to the pistol grip leaving it open a little and putting the finger on the trigger.

While you are doing this the stock toe should not be lower than the elbow.

The trigger should be placed half way across the first pad (the one with the nail) and not in any joint what's so ever.

Once you can feel the finger pad touching the trigger you can then gently close the hand fully but not too tightly.

This will take all the tension out of the wrist/hand and will usually result in a very sleek and smooth trigger pull.

People that mount with the back hand doing all the work can often suffer from it as well as the hand is too rigid/tight. Game shooters in particular as they hold the gun in the air with the trigger hand and the wrist gets stiff. They lower the gun with the trigger hand into the front hand and shoot with a very straining wrist a very tight grip and the trigger in the first joint......"oh dear".

You can also do it as part of your cage/stand routine to help you relax before calling pull if you suffer from flinching.

Try it. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen trigger freeze referenced on another post within this section, I am now conducting scientific research into trigger freeze - clay shooting through this year and next year, game shooting from this season and into the next. I am not saying it is one thing or another, I am saying can we truly find out what trigger freeze is and how is occurs - there are too many thoughts, rather than facts on this subject.

Only ever had it once, That was due to a pain response. When I was about 13 I had a bsa semi hammer single 20 bore and sometimes the trigger guard used to whack me on the middle finger. Therefore sometimes I was hesitant to actually pull the trigger in case it whacked me, hurt like hell when it did. Had it for a couple of months til I saved enough beating money and got rid. Never happened before or since.

It's not an entirely successful way to get rid of it as I have said but I have found that it does stop most.

I'm still looking forward to your reports on it though Phil. Always willing to keep an open mind on things and willing to learn something new from anybody.

For me it is identifying the problem first, looking at what causes it, then looking how effective the solutions are, plus what can be done - not expecting magic answers to start, but I would like to achieve knowing what causes it.

The research outline has now begun, some great comments and emails sent over to me from some great coaches too. The research will start in earnest come May for the clay season. Thanks everyone for the help.

Hi Phil, I have suffered with trigger flinch/freeze for a couple of years now. I maintain a pretty consistent average of 82% shooting on average twice a week. 80% of targets i get trigger freeze on, i seem to be able to re-address and hit.It seems to come about as soon as I assume to know a sight picture, or with tension. I would be very interested in talking with you or helping in any way towards some research. Drop me an email [email protected] if you would like I am 30 min from Chatcombe.

Thanks Fletch, I will certainly drop you a line on this, I will be having two research groups, those with and those without flinch, so we can do some proper fact research. Thanks again.

Hi Phil, I have suffered with trigger flinch/freeze for a couple of years now. I maintain a pretty consistent average of 82% shooting on average twice a week. 80% of targets i get trigger freeze on, i seem to be able to re-address and hit.It seems to come about as soon as I assume to know a sight picture, or with tension. I would be very interested in talking with you or helping in any way towards some research. Drop me an email [email protected] if you would like I am 30 min from Chatcombe.
sounds exactly like me, same average and re- address alot of them, tried most things to get rid,24 grm, thearapy,heavier gun,none of it worked, changed my shooting style which helped a lot,but still get a few each time i shoot,have had up to 16 flinches/ freezes on a 100 bird shoot so 1 or 2 i can live with though none would be better :yell:

sounds exactly like me, same average and re- address alot of them, tried most things to get rid,24 grm, thearapy,heavier gun,none of it worked, changed my shooting style which helped a lot,but still get a few each time i shoot,have had up to 16 flinches/ freezes on a 100 bird shoot so 1 or 2 i can live with though none would be better :yell:
Optima if you would be happy to help please drop me a line.

Hi Phil

I enjoyed reading the blog and recognised much of what was written in my own technique at this present time. I am constantly seeking a change in every address of target to pre-emit trigger freeze or flinch which in turn gives you no continuity in a stand.

Having said this I managed to shoot the Essex without a single trigger freeze.

Good for you Fletch, glad you enjoyed my article for Phil's website. Remember stay positive about curing yourself, because that ultimately is who is going to effect a cure, yourself.

For all of you that suffer, remember one of the key elements is breaking the cycle of events that usually cause you to freeze or flinch. This is where gun down for Sporting assists so much. For Trap disciplines it is a little harder because in Trap your routine is all about focus. So maybe it will help if you change your routine by either speeding up or slowing down your mental preparation routine.

We eliminated "flinch" in Metallic Silhouette shooting by alternating spent cartridges and real ones. The mind conditions itself to felt recoil. The subconcious mind! One needs to condition it. It works with O/U and S/S. Have someone load the shotgun at random with spent shells and new shells. After a few times, the consicious mind takes over. Slowly squeeze the trigger! Always! It should be a surprise when it goes off! It works for sniping and works for shotgunners and pistol shooters!.

Meanwhile, while shooting a new prototype Fabarm semi, the idiots put the trigger pivot in front of the trigger. Pull back, nothing! One had to pull up at 45 to get it to fire! FLINCH, FLINCH!

Regards,

Henry ;)

Latest posts

Back