where do you shoot and how much do you pay

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuzrat

Rather than de-rail the Weston wood thread. As above, where and how much?  and how much (realistically, remembering that this is a business) do you think a 100 bird sporting should be? Competition, to keep it on a level playing field Personally I think most grounds have got it about right, 35-40 quid obviously we would love it cheaper and it best be an almighty shoot for £40/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif

I paid £28 b/only at Shugborough today, if memory serves Kegworth's £30 b/only. I wouldn'y pay £40 - a step too much in my opinion. Looking forward to some hay-bales shoots in Lincs so I can have some lower cost weekends if I'm completely honest!

so that works out at £33 and £35 competition, assuming a fiver in the pot Edit Maths/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-embarassed.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
It does get more expensive the closer towards London... Round my way though it's between 34 and 36 (competition) which is for £150 hg and then class payouts (some guaranteed some not).I can't remember paying 32 for a reg shoot for some time... As we all know they are there to make money, and so they should. Those that put in the effort target/prizemoney/facility wise will be rewarded with more customers. We all know about inflation- everything has got more expensive, and the ground owners can't be expected to absorb it.We all make our choices- I avoid a shoot with soft birds/poor payout. Facilities are not important to me, but I know they are to some. Horses for courses. Sadly with shells being so ridiculously priced, fuel £1.40 a litre and mid £30 to shoot a reg, it is an expensive sport whichever way you cut it, I chose to support the ones that provide value in my eyes and the best chance of making my day out pay!

fuzzyshoot at grange farm £35, kegworth £34 , both of which the mrs gets reduced comp entry. shuggy £32 longridge £35 honesberie £35 newbold£35  doverridge £35 last time went (rarely)  Did do weston wood, and westfield until turned up today to find £37. maybe its just me but £35 for 100 reg is my pain threshold. steve has tried (and failed ) over the years to put big money shoots on with big entry fees , only for them to be cancelled due to lack of entries. But like you say it is a buisness and i respect the fact that it is steve's buisness, therefore he should run it as he sees fit . All i am saying is that it is enough for me personally. judging from the turnout at weston wood today many others are happy to pay the price .regardsjasper

edmany of us dont travel to shoots to make our day pay, in fact a chance would be a fine thing. a rather blinkered view me thinks.jasper

Well I paid 30 for a 120 bird at Hornet BO and then 32 at Weston Wood BO, I shot 110 at Hornet and 90 At WW due to the raised stands that I can't shoot. Value for money, well the Hornet represents the best value based on cost per clay but based on the number of no birds, trap breakdowns then WW wins but only the first time I have visited both grounds so am not going to make any other comment other than i'd go back to both. Jon.

As I said jasper, it's what makes a shoot value for you. Everyone looks at it differently, that's just my view, and I appreciate it's not that of everyone.Horses for courses chap

Interesting so far, I think a reduced entry for the ladies is a good idea. A few of us have shooting women-folk so does ease the burden somewhat, also a way to get more ladies involved. I think weston is so popular because of the potential as a C class shooter to win £150 as they do a guaranteed £150 1st down the ranks rather than seeing the same old names win the big HG money (no offence Ed) lower classes can win a big one too /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif

fuzzythe potential to win £150 in c ????. so did you get any where near 80 today????. sorry thats another story.jasper

I pay £28 for 100 bird non-reg comps at Greenfields, members rate, or £23 practice. They pay down to 4th in AA with £75 HG, also vouchers to third in A/B and C. Good if you think about it.Other places I shoot at tend to be £35 even non-reg and some of these wouldn't win best design layout in a month of Sundays /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-confused.gif. JJ's is good value but 12 per stand takes a bit of getting used to.Keston is notable at £32 (I think) for 100 birder with £120 HG but only one place payout in AA/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-yell.gif,  1st and 2nd in A/B and C, their re-entry is only £17/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif.Abbey is sensible at around £30 for their 100 birders but only pay £20 for third in AA /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-yell.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-confused.gif, you spend more on burgers whilst waiting to pick that up.Willow Farm charge £17 I think for 60 birds but do pay a staggering £35 HG /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-surprised.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-frown.gif, third gets 3 boxes of El Cheapo Torpedoes. 

jasper said:

fuzzythe potential to win £150 in c ????. so did you get any where near 80 today????. sorry thats another story.jasper
 nope, nowhere near. As you say that is another very long thread on Classifications. Maybe I should have stated El Banditos have that potential /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif  I do hope to be wearing a bandolier and sporting a handlebar moustache by the end of this term /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif

I thimk Hornet is next on my list as its 120 birder its good value, as I say I havent been there yet. £37 for WW is too much for me though, and even if I was in CPSA I would probably shoot Birds only. Although WW is a good shoot I have to draw the line financially. As for rising costs etc, if there is good local competition like in any business you do have to absorb the costs as people will go with the cheapest. I currently shoot at Valley View and Prestwood which is £30.00 and I think £25.00 for 100 birds

I think there is a difficult balance to strike here - without decent payouts, top shooters won't come out and play. Without decent entries the payouts won't be there and the ground owners won't make a profit. Without a decent price, the shoots won't have decent entries.For me, if the shoot is well laid out, well organised, well reffed - then it's worth a few extra quid. Yesterday was a great example - Hornet was cheaper and better value - but we had lots of no-birds, a trap breakdown that caused us to wait for 20 mins. Weston Wood didn't have too many issues - we waited for 10 mins at one stand whilst the tower was safely refilled - and I think we had one or two no-birds. As for prize money - Steve pushes hard on this, and has added new ways for people to win money.- so that attracts people at the top end of the classes. £37 is a lot of money - but you pay for what you get / it was £2 more than Hornet for 20 (better?) birds less. Churchills was £30 for 100 - and I think that is pretty good value. Wylye is £35 I think for 100 reg - but again, excellent targets that really test us. Financially it needs to be sensible, but I would end up shooting less often for better shoots than have a drop in quality to save a few quid.

As a newbie at registered and having only shot Longridge and Westfield, I find the costs pretty reasonable.I used to shoot frequently at Ian Coley's back when it was called Chatcombe and, whilst all the new facilities etc are very nice, the cost now is 30p/clay.  Yesterday at Hollow Fosse there were only 5 traps set up on the course and for non members 50 clays cost £13.So I reckon that £30/£35 at Longridge or £32/£37 at WW or Westfield with 12 stands + scorers is fair enough.

JasperIts not about how much you pay its about the value you get, and I have to say I have been to all three grounds that steve operates and I have never felt I didnt get value for  the money  I paid out regardless of whether I have shot well or not.I can shoot for less at other grounds E J Churchills being an example £30 for your 100 registered but I dont get the same feeling of welcome the same commitment to providing a bloody good set of targets and of course some good fluffy rabbits with the owner, his scorers, and  the rest of his team. Any problems steve is always available to listen you may not get the answer you want but he will listen!!!I shoot churchills or other such grounds and its very impersonal no real commitment to the shooter its cheap I will grant you that but enjoyable?? Perhaps I shoot for reasons other than how much I pay for a round but I do know value for money when i get itEvidence of that is quite clearly how many shooters patronise steve lovatts shoots on a regular basis you dont get popular by just being relatively expensive you get popular because the product is bloody good !!Just  my opinion

Just my opinion, but I cant see why Hornet are doing 120 (for the price of 100). First off, it aint the same price, because it costs another 20 cartridges. Also, I find that I dont feel I have shot more. I just notice that there are a lot of 5 pair stands. I think that if they want to put on a bargain, just do 100 birds for £2 less.. CSC3

it would also help if the ground owners did a bit of talking to each other and staggered their shoots so they didnt all clash on the same day then we could budget our funds a lot better !!!

Absolutely. They are both good shoots, so shame you cant do both (on different days). crazy.. Quality will win through and value is impoprtant. This weekend I will likely go to Newbold. Now that will cost £25 in diesel alone. But its a great shoot. CSC3

Latest posts

Back