Helice shells !

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray

Looking to get into a bit of Helice or ZZ's whatever, so was looking at 28 gram size 6's

so any opinions on which to choose, I normally shoot steel or would lead be your choice ?

Whenever I've shot it 28g of my normal 7.5s through a bit of choke is more than adequate for me. Steel is a no no as 1, it lacks the down range velocity and 2, the steel plates on the traps are one hell of a riccochet risk, and yes you do occasionally shoot the trap

OK point taken, Lead it is, forgot to mention that I would use 1/2 & 1/2 chokes.

First time I shot it I used 1/2 and 3/4 as they were the tightest I had at the time, they broke a few when I hit them. It's great fun, which reminds me I haven't had a go for a while and must get to rugby or a1 soon.

Sure Nicola will be along soon to give some better advice as she is the zz expert with euro medals to prove it :)

Cant see as it matters. I have watched this discipline and do not believe they are actually hitable :)

Hi Ray,

I normally use Hull Sovereign FITASC 6.5's in the first barrel and 6's in the second through 34 choke.

I have a ZZ target or "Electrociebel" that has been hit 29 times and not broken.  I dug a pellet out and they were 8's when I measured them.

ZZ is great fun :)

Jon.

Hi Jon,

I'll try them Hulls in 6's all I gotta do now is find where to practice, seems like A1 ground is best for me.

Ray,

Helice is great fun but i think practice is the wrong word ,you can have a go at it and you can learn how it is shot ,but as no bird is ever repeated  nothing is duplicated ,it would be a lot cheaper to shoot ABT (random targets ) or ask Henry his opinion .

Hi Ray  -  A1 club is definitely the nearest for us to have a go at Helice. Also do it at West Kent I think.

Me and the missus are going to give it a go this year too, but I understand that they are a fair weather lot of shooters (not meaning to be derogatory - but you know you are a bit of a snow, sleet and T-shirt boy) and I am informed that facilities will not normally be available to have a go until about March or April, if I remember rightly.

Perhaps Nicola will enlighten us ?

Ray,

Helice is great fun but i think practice is the wrong word ,you can have a go at it and you can learn how it is shot ,but as no bird is ever repeated  nothing is duplicated ,it would be a lot cheaper to shoot ABT (random targets ) or ask Henry his opinion .
Andre,

I can't quite see ABT as the same, at least with ABT when the clay leaves the trap and you lock onto direction, the clay is just going away, however with the ZZ these things have a mind of their own.  :(

I will be speaking to Henry about having a go  :)

Mind of their own is right! I've seen them worm burn r-l along the deck behind the traps then pop straight up and go hard l-r at the end! nothing else is that random apart from pigeons but thats a whole different box of birds if you pardon the european pun  ;)

Ray,

28 grm 6.5's for me when I shoot ZZ. Reaction shooting at its best, so it shoot it is the best way, don't think or you will miss. The white centre has to land in the ring to score, so don't shoot it to late.

A1 shooting ground

Rugby Trap Club

West Kent

Invicta

http://youtu.be/WL_buN1igP0

Ray,

28 grm 6.5's for me when I shoot ZZ. Reaction shooting at its best, so it shoot it is the best way, don't think or you will miss. The white centre has to land in the ring to score, so don't shoot it to late.

A1 shooting ground

Rugby Trap Club

West Kent

Invicta

http://youtu.be/WL_buN1igP0
Which shell manufacturer do you prefer in the 6.5's ?

I always shot 28g 8s first barrel and 28g 7s in the second; seemed to smash the guts out of them ok for me!

I'm gonna have a bash with these Fiocchi FBLU, Just gotta wait for somewhere to shoot them now, as there doesn't seem to be an interest in the colder month's. :(   

Been using f blu for abt Ut and ot last month or so. Seem ok no prob so far.

Andre,

I can't quite see ABT as the same, at least with ABT when the clay leaves the trap and you lock onto direction, the clay is just going away, however with the ZZ these things have a mind of their own.  :(

I will be speaking to Henry about having a go  :)
Ray you will find most helice shooters shoot trap as a form of practice ,look how often Henry shoots abt at Dartford (in zz season ) no the targets are 'nt exactly the same otherwise they would be helice targets but ABT is as close as you'll get also you will pay approx £25 per 100 ABT versus £ 150 - £200 for 100 helice targets !! 

Latest posts

Back