grimsthorpe

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chippy

I shot a reg sporting at grimsthorpe today.it was one of the best rounds i have shot for years it was tough but all targets were in range.88 was winning when we left.i will certainly be shooting the next one,nice to have proper sporting targets rather than skeet in the woods chippy

Always a good round and usually some real mans birds- shame they don't do more, sporting is dyeing in my view!

you are right there Ed sporting is dying, seems we got to shoot skeet scores now just to get a result ? in the long term its damaging the sport, surly it would be nice to win sporting reg with high 80's rather than walk in see a score 98+ on the board...../wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-surprised.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-surprised.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-surprised.gif, to robotic filling in easy stands and waste of good cartridges../wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-frown.gif  

the worm has turned for you my friend /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-cool.gif have seen this sport turned on it's head in the past 5-6 years ? seems the lower classes find it unacceptable to face good tough targets (doubt if most realise how far 50m actually is) and that with a reasonable cartridge, clays can be smashed perfectly once they have got the picture of the required lead. but we need to see these targets on 4 or 5 stands every week so they can build up the site pictures and ability to do what's needed....to often I here the term speed and angles/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-frown.gif this to me strikes of a course setter pandering to the softer targets, this in-turn giving most shooters the initial buzz of a great day but in reality the fact is that those high scores do the CPSA averages or the shooter no favours what so ever...LONG TERM I wonder how many soft shoots one will be keen to enter week in week out before we all become bored ? yes by all means have some 15-20m targets but balance the shoot out with some at 50m ...change your choke ! buy a few boxes of decent no 7's have a go, there is no shame in missing hard targets, ask a top shooter for his advice they dont bite, you never know you might enjoy giving a target 15ft lead and see it break, instead of shooting straight at 60 or so claysyou may also STAY in a class where you can compete on a level playing field ....AND I DONT MEAN BY BAGGINGshooting sporting is about learning not earning   

I've had a pop at Grimsthorpe a few times when I lived in Cambs. Always remember it being challenging!

I also shot the round at Grimsthorpe on Sunday, the very strong wind and low sun made it exceptionally tricky making the scores lower than normal. It was essentially a typical Grimsthorpe shoot with very few "gimmes" and some really testing birds but nothing that was ridiculous.I enjoyed it thoroughly despite the wind and the winning score of 88 by I think Julian Freeman was a fantastic result bearing in mind the conditions.It is a pity Mark does not have so many shoots on these days but watch out for his FITASC shoots, they really are something special!

Surely, sticking targets on that are through the low sun is unforgivable? When I became briefly involved at EJ Churchill with `sorting` their target setting last year, my biggest point was to stop them throwing targets at the sun. Jeez! You know where it will be at a certain time of day! Setting it up on a cloudy day before is no excuse. Its lazy and uncaring to not consider this.If the wind is gusting, the course setter ought to tame things down a bit to assist slightly. You can pull the trigger at a perfect moment, but a long bird can move (like a bouncing bunny) and cause a miss. While `decent` target setting is important, with long birds featured where possible, any twonk can leave a course `unfair` to shoot in adverse conditions.The old `its the same for all` argument is cobblers, because other grounds will do a better job that day and your scores will be compared to those shooters when registered at the CPSA.Every course setter must ask themselves a few key questions about targets they set: Is there hardly time to shoot it? Will it just be luck to hit it? Is it a test of amazing eyesight or amazingly quick reactions? If yes to any of those, change it. We need a test of actual shooting skills, nothing else.Grimsthorpe and Grange farm may have got it wrong last weekend, from what I read on here .. Its a macho sport and people are too worried about seeming `wet` if they comment upon it.. CSC3 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes through the sun is a deff no no.But as to saying grimsthorpe and grange got it wrong I would have to disagree- everyone on here, and who I have spoken to said they were good shoots. Closer and softer birds are just as easy to miss when the wind moves them as you pull the trigger, and the slower ones are the worst!Grange had a Battue at 45/50 yards (belly on) which was te furthest bird, an you had time to shoot everything. The closest was an orange incomer at about 10 yards. The stand I messed up worst (4 away) was a 5 x pair slow incoming high pair, belly on at 35 yards!People are to use to shooting soft birds and get the hump when they see something that needs shooting. They don't all need to be hard, but most shoots now are won 96-98 and you rarely see a tough bit there. And then people wonder why they have a disaster at a major/new ground after banging in 80s at their local shoots and thinking they have it sussed! If you want big scores week in week out have a pop at skeet I recon!

CleverSC3 said:

Surely, sticking targets on that are through the low sun is unforgivable? When I became briefly involved at EJ Churchill with `sorting` their target setting last year, my biggest point was to stop them throwing targets at the sun. Jeez! You know where it will be at a certain time of day! Setting it up on a cloudy day before is no excuse. Its lazy and uncaring to not consider this.If the wind is gusting, the course setter ought to tame things down a bit to assist slightly. You can pull the trigger at a perfect moment, but a long bird can move (like a bouncing bunny) and cause a miss. While `decent` target setting is important, with long birds featured where possible, any twonk can leave a course `unfair` to shoot in adverse conditions.The old `its the same for all` argument is cobblers, because other grounds will do a better job that day and your scores will be compared to those shooters when registered at the CPSA.Every course setter must ask themselves a few key questions about targets they set: Is there hardly time to shoot it? Will it just be luck to hit it? Is it a test of amazing eyesight or amazingly quick reactions? If yes to any of those, change it. We need a test of actual shooting skills, nothing else.Grimsthorpe and Grange farm may have got it wrong last weekend, from what I read on here .. Its a macho sport and people are too worried about seeming `wet` if they comment upon it.. CSC3 are you the chap holding the first indoor shoot no wind rain or sun involved or am i being two "wet"/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif

I didn't go to Grimsthorpe - but I can comment on Grange Farm. I don't think they 'got it wrong' yesterday - it was challenging, there were birds that I couldn't hit - but that's my standard - there was a mixture of testing, challenging targets and a few that I thought were a bit easier.  Sun wasn't a huge factor although I did hear reports that stand 12 was a bugger in the morning. To be fair, I found it a bugger without the sun /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-frown.gifWind was a factor - and I expect that some targets did not act exactly as they were set-up to act - but nothing was unhittable... and we demonstrated that all day.  Scores were light by about 10 across the board... that to me is an indication that the wind played a factor in almost everyone scores.

I do miss going to Grimsthorpe.Mark always put on a good shoot and still does by the sound of it.You always had lots of people turn out for a Grimsthorpe shoot.

Latest posts

Back