Hypnosis

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidney

Has anyone here considered or had Hypnosis to help sports performance. Its something that really intrigues me. Mr Coley, would love to hear your thoughts on it?

Speak to Lesley Goddard. She uses it in her work. Mat you can get her off my Facebook friends page.....just click on her and ask her what you want to know.

(Have to say it is not for me....might wake up as a real nutter :). )

Thanks Nic, already had some coaching with Lesley, she's a star. Have discussed it with her, was just curious to see if anyone else had tried it. Interesting stuff! The way I look at it, I couldnt wake up any worse than I am now :lol:   

Hypnosis isn't something to be scared off as such, though it is natural to be cautious.  It isn't all "mumbo jumbo" and not all Hypnotists look like this chap,

look-in-my-eyes.jpg

All Hypnosis is, is suggestion.  You don't always need to be "in a trance", which is merely a relaxed state to make you more open to suggestion, you can do it with basic things, while a person is entirely awake, with key words and so on (Derren Brown).

And when you decide that something is a good idea, but you know it will only come to fruition if your other other thinks it is there idea, you surreptitiously "plant a seed"...same thing!   

I know nothing about it in a shooting/sporting context, but I would imagine that things like, avoiding negative thoughts etc while in the zone, and aiding with actually "getting in the zone" quickly and consistently, are part of it.

What I know about it within other areas, it is certainly a very useful tool if you are receptive enough.  I can't actually be hypnotised, despite several attempts by various persons whilst I was studying psychology, so I can't give you feedback from experience.

My wife also "dicks about" with my head, but I tend to return the favour...it's her own fault for sleeping with her mouth open....

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah hahahaha that last comment made my day! Think I will be giving it a go in the new year. Nice to know I'm not the only believer!

It is not for everyone, just as sports psychology is not for everyone. Lesley is one who practices in this as is Charles Milne. From my perspective it is not for everyone, but those who have found it works for them find it really useful. There is no harm in trying a session, but equally in the sports performance world of mental training there are many different ways to help someone.

Spookey stuff...ya have to have the right mindset. There are several PGA golfers that use it. I don't recall the guru's name but damn he was anything but cheap!!

I had it for a fear of heights, which actual turned out to be a fear of edges. I have jumped out of a plane and done the P course when I was younger so 

not being able to shoot the platform at newnham Park came as a shock :oops:   Now I can shoot off platforms with a little bit of worryso for me it must work

I had it for a fear of heights, which actual turned out to be a fear of edges. I have jumped out of a plane and done the P course when I was younger so 

not being able to shoot the platform at newnham Park came as a shock :oops:   Now I can shoot off platforms with a little bit of worryso for me it must work
god is airborne coz he failed the commando course....

i had a session to try and giveup smoking  on the way home lit up a ciggie   didnt work for me

managed to give up a few years later due to other events

So... Has anyone tried it for clay shooting then.... Or do sid and I have to do ' paper scissors and stones' to see who goes first...

Has anyone here considered or had Hypnosis to help sports performance. Its something that really intrigues me. Mr Coley, would love to hear your thoughts on it?
Not for sports but for cancer and i would say it saved my life. So it can work for any problem i would say so long as you want it to work. My fear was needles in a big way, but they dont scare me any more, eight months of treatment every week and alive to tell all.    Perhapes i should go back for ranting on this blog from time to time and see if hypno could help there.

I was once hypnotised by a women, she became my wife, and she has put me into a trance to support her shopping habit.

It did work for me to stop smoking. The subject fascinated me and I spent some time afterwards studying it.

From my understanding though, such as the non-smoking thing, a subject would need to WANT to stop smoking in the first place. Hypnosis is not some kind of miracle cure and it is quite normal for anybody to still fancy a cigarette immediately after a session, so some level of wanting to do it with a bit of willpower is still needed at first. 

But I found that as each day passed by I actually thought about smoking less and less until not thinking about it at all. Now seven years later I even enjoy being in the company of smokers but simply not tempted to try again.

Weird huh ?

Anyway, obviously Mark may be able to confirm from his missus, but from what I understand MOST people can be hypnotised and it is often those who believe they can't be that can be the easiest to deal with. Many people claim to have never been hypnotised because, quite simply, it never feels like you have been, and it is a much different experience to what people expect !

Its certainly nothing to be wary of, and is VERY relaxing.

I'm sure it could help shooters in a number of ways. The only way it can ever be harmful . . . . . . . . is to your wallet  :eek:

Latest posts

Back