How many shotguns

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maca

I read recently that the average number of shotguns held on a SGC in the UK is 2.4.  This means that assuming a standard bell curve distribution the majority of people have 2 or 3 shotguns.  I used to have 2 but went down to 1 as I found I was really only shooting the 1 but an acquaintance of mine has 8 so I was wondering what you all have?  Is 2 to 3 what most people have or is this average made up of extremes like me and this other guy?  

Thinking about it has made me wonder if I should buy another one though🤔 

3 at the moment, 1 which is up for sale,  Many years ago i had a lot of shotguns, all shapes and sizes. But my thinking now is 2 will do all i need, both the same gun,same spec etc so just carry on if main gun has to go to menders for any reason and i let my boys use it if they venture out.

However saying that i did pick up a CG 28g o/u last week which was lovely to shoot and i did think about adding it....But not for long.

All of my shooting life ive been of the opinion only 1 gun at a time (as you would always shoot better with the gun left at home), but at this late stage in my shooting I find myself now in possession of 4 (2 12g SxS, 1 28g O/U and recently a 12g auto) I don't shoot competitively now, only shoot clays for fun and each gun  is so different it really is a treat when I get a reasonable score with any of them

Just one at present, but there are a few I'd like to own one day. I'm not in the UK though, so not part of the quoted average. 

Six on my ticket, two of them mine, one shared with my husband (a 410).  Shared cabinet with my husband, brother and SIL means their guns are on my license as well as my own.

None. Yes NONE, not nine, NONE! Seriously... I now “own” a F16 and two F3’s all kept for me at grounds/RFD‘S until my license arrives.

It’s been just over a year since I applied. Some initial extra checks were required which was told could add two or three months to the process.

That then carried over to a short staffing issue at the beginning of the year and that turned into no home visits over lockdown to check my safe installation, which turned into further staffing issues to such an extent, the FO and Licencing Manager are so overwhelmed with trying to catch up on renewals, they’re asking folks to not contact them. It’s frustrating but I really do get a sense that they feel just as frustrated with the situation and I do believe they’re doing their level best. Just have to be patient a bit longer I suppose.

None. Yes NONE, not nine, NONE! Seriously... I now “own” a F16 and two F3’s all kept for me at grounds/RFD‘S until my license arrives.

It’s been just over a year since I applied. Some initial extra checks were required which was told could add two or three months to the process.

That then carried over to a short staffing issue at the beginning of the year and that turned into no home visits over lockdown to check my safe installation, which turned into further staffing issues to such an extent, the FO and Licencing Manager are so overwhelmed with trying to catch up on renewals, they’re asking folks to not contact them. It’s frustrating but I really do get a sense that they feel just as frustrated with the situation and I do believe they’re doing their level best. Just have to be patient a bit longer I suppose.
Even with Covid that wait seems a bit excessive, two or three months for extra checks, you haven't had links to the mafia your keeping from us have you Lloyd 😉

You have said you might pop to Italy a few times

Last edited by a moderator:
@ColinD 🤣

Isn’t just a little bit ironic that any criminal worth their salt is hardly likely to bother with complying with the law would go to the trouble to file for a SGC

The issue, I have no qualms disclosing as it’s a simple fact of life, my ex wife and I had over the years a tempestuous relationship. Six of one half a dozen of the other to be fair. The volume of our many disagreements over the course of a decade did on a couple of occasions attract the attention of joe Public and subsequently a visit from a local PC.

Their main concern was raised when I was asked if I thought my ex would male spurious claims about my waving a shotgun around and given the volatility in the past and wanting to answer honesty, I had to say that I couldn’t rule that possibility out, this further checks about the ex and the children had to take place. 

The ensuing staffing issues and subsequently Covid just added immensely to the delay. 

to give the FO credit, he did say give the time interval my application would [once the backlog of renewals are cleared] be top of the pile. 

I was always told beware of the man who only shoots 1 gun, I presumed it was because they would be an awsome shot, turns out that they are generally miserable buggers who miss a lot. I only owned 1 gun for years..😁😁
I own two, and do the exact same with both 😀

I only shoot Clay's and not at a good level and mostly for fun. I have the three gun classic combination, 1 trap,1skeet and one multichoke all round sporter.

4 guns 2x12 gauge Over /under , 1x20g Over /under all see use on clays and game ,   , and a tatty  old .410 folding Pedretti  with a full over barrel moderator . 

I always take two guns with me  if I’m game shooting , as if one developed a problem , I’ve got a reserve chained up in my vehicle and the day wouldn’t be lost .

The tatty 410 is for general use , rats , dispatch , knocking in fence posts , LandRover emergency  jack handle , that sort of thing ... 

Non as yet, as a returnee to the sport I put my application in a week before 1st lockdown, I’ve now got it.

I was waiting for matters to improve but that isn’t happening.

i have had a few lessons now and narrowed down my choice so hopefully once matters do improve, my total will be 1!

Kev

I have six or seven floating around here, maybe eight or nine, mostly beaters. I keep thinking I should sell them all and get one nice European O/U.

Latest posts

Back