Locking Threads

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alan Maughan

Matt,

Im disappointed to see the course of action you have taken on the 'Ignore Button' thread by choosing to close it.

You alone have decided the discussion is over yet there wasnt anyone breaking any forum rules (after I raised my point) and there was lots more to be said IMHO, much of it was aimed at having a positive effect on the future of your site, neither have you commented on the issues I raised yourself.

Now if you want to treat us all like kids (by deciding what we can/cant discuss) then that is your perogative, afterall you own the forum but I would respectfully suggest it is a mistake, without members you dont have a forum and treating us like kids is a sure fire way of losing them.

Respectfully

Alan :)

Last edited:
I didnt know it had been, but just had a quick read through last page or so and it seems to me that admin pulled it because it was all getting a bit personal. In view of the current "friendly sport" type posts I think it was a good call. IMO the ignore thread in fact the whole ignore button concept is pointless.

Exactly - I pulled it because it was getting personal.

Lets analyse what happened in that thread:

1. Someone asks for a feature

2. I implement it

3. Some people don't like the idea, some people do

4. The tit for tat 'discussion' turns into someone getting personal.

5. I lock it - to stop the argument

Steps 1 - 3 are fine on my forum / step 4 is not

neither have you commented on the issues I raised yourself.
I'm not sure I can see those issues... point me towards questions, and I will answer them.

Now if you want to treat us all like kids (by deciding what we can/cant discuss) then that is your perogative, afterall you own the forum but I would respectfully suggest it is a mistake, without members you don't have a forum and treating us like kids is a sure fire way of losing them.
If people act like kids - I will act accordingly. The rules of the forum are simple, if in doubt - refer to rule 1 : http://www.shootclayforum.com/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

Happy to reopen it - if we can guarantee that it won't end up as a slanging match. We had enough of that with the forum that ShootClay replaces.

I think rules 1/3/6 may have been infringed a bit. tut tut!

Good job its only a forum, and not in the clubhouse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Time to get my hat and coat, and go!

Enjoy your shooting.

Bye!

Well done Matt, Alan if you had been on the forum longer you would know Darkside and Harley are not the best of buddies and Matt has clipped their ears previously on another thread, Harley baited a response from Darkside and got one!

As for your issues on tolerance, everyone has different levels of it? ( ie: you can't tolerate poor engineering on choke tubes and I couldn't give a monkeys! so in that instance I'm more tolerant than you) and elitism? which you aim at Ed, nothing wrong with being elitist if your at the top of your game, he certainly doesn't come across as that and he's always posting helpful and useful stuff for newcomers to the sport.

If it had been in the club house maybe a lot of what was said wouldn't have been, we all know people 'hide' behind keyboards?

Can I please have my own 'special' button as I feel left out. It doesn't have to do anything just as long as it's 'special' .... Thank you.

The point Im trying to make guys is that shutting a thread down as what I consider a knee jerk reaction isnt the way to go, dealing with what is at the root of the problem is.

Some of us in that thread were making our points respectfully and in a controlled manner befitting our position as grown adults who know how to behave, deal with the ones who dont rather than closing the thread.

I am bored with it and if I hadnt allready stated I would not be ignoring anyone then I jolly well would hit the ignore button on anything even remotely to do with ignoring ............... (eh, I am confused now)

Anyway you get my point can we please get back to some serious gun relaterd issues ........... which is the best peaked cap for instance, that kind of thing, better than all this bickering over nothing.

I'm going to ignore that.
My comment wasn't directed at anyone so apologies if it sounded like it was, I don't know many of you well enough to be insulting.

I was merely stating that in life we all tend to be a little more brave when were not face to face with the recipient of our comment, it's human nature, so again, sorry if I caused offence, it was never my intention.

:)

The point Im trying to make guys is that shutting a thread down as what I consider a knee jerk reaction isnt the way to go, dealing with what is at the root of the problem is.

Some of us in that thread were making our points respectfully and in a controlled manner befitting our position as grown adults who know how to behave, deal with the ones who dont rather than closing the thread.
I spent almost 2 seconds considering my knee jerk response :D ... as someone has already said, lets get back to shooting related stuff instead of debating whether a feature already implemented is useful or not.

I want ShootClay to be a place to talk about shooting - or to interact with other shooters - not a place where we debate how the forum should be run... there is too much 'meta' activity in shooting and not enough worrying about enjoying ourselves, with new friends, out shooting

Life is too short to argue about the internet.

For those that cannot let it pass without a snarky comment - I feel bad for you - have a nice deep breatj, move to a new thread and think about when you'll next be out enjoying yourself with a hot gun and some decent friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back