Maintained Lead.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jake.keeling

I have always thought of this as inserting the barrel in front of the target rather than coming from behind, but thinking about the actual term, you could come from anywhere then maintain a lead in front, this is surely also maintained lead. I know there's a multitude of techniques but as you can probably tell I'm bored at work! Discuss?

I think maintained lead is nasty and difficult, in the traditional sense of start in front and remain in front. The main issue with it is that you dont automatically pick up the line. Not a beginners thing IMO.

It is good on fast birds that are not long in view. I swing through or pull away mainly, but often lately I will pull away and then maintain the gap. Wouldn't call this maintained lead in the traditional sense though..

Not for Sporting, can't do it on all the targets so too much thought in changing techniques.

Go try it on a Teal (rising shot) then a Louper as a pair.

Target lead will always start a long and valid discussion. Is maintained lead a good method? What exactly is it?

I think if people were honest and actually knew what they were doing it would surprise them.

Many shoot smoke trail or swing through, probably the easiest successful method is Clarrie Wilson's method or as it is better known the CPSA method. But Maintain means to keep things the same, so do you keep the Lead the same and ride the target ? If so why? If you insert online in front of a target and then reduce that lead it is Diminished lead. If you mount onto the target, establish its speed and increase the lead is that pull away or are you maintaining a lead?

How about a new shooting style? Let's call it Perfect, Spot On, or Dogs Bollocks. :smile: :smile: :smile: Discuss amongst yourselves, wake me up before you go.

17 year old Me on an Eley 10 target training course:

Clarrie Wilson: don't pull the trigger until I tell you

Me: Bang!

Clarrie Wilson: No, don't pull the trigger until I tell you

Me: Bang!

Clarrie Wilson: Bugger off.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use maintained lead for 70-80% of my shooting. Mixed in with largely pull away, some ambush/spot shooting and the very odd bird swing through.

One thing is certain; you need to be able to use all of them and know which ones work and when if you want to put good scores in.

I've found the danger with maintained lead - especially on long birds that are in sight for a while - is the tendency to check......"is that it?? No, no, it's that! Or is it.....??" Bugger, slowed/stopped the gun, shot behind! :angry:

As has been covered on other threads, over thinking can screw it up! I've been trying to train myself to get gun speed right, even if that means holding at the pick-up point to let the bird past, then swing through - or at the very least, touch it then pull away.

If I maintain lead, I stop the gun. Maybe I need a lesson with Ed.....? :huh:

I think maintained is one for the more experienced, then it can work well. But no method works well if you can't deal with it.

I watched a Bidwell video, where he clearly shot everything maintained lead and failed to mention it once in his commentary. He also perfectly describes his Move Mount Shoot '123' tempo, then completely fails to do it! Just goes to show that very experienced shots can be very happy in their own head but not really consciously aware of their action.

I use maintained lead for 70-80% of my shooting. Mixed in with largely pull away, some ambush/spot shooting and the very odd bird swing through.One thing is certain; you need to be able to use all of them and know which ones work and when if you want to put good scores in.
I think this is the knack, knowing what type of target requires what technique. What do you do on say quarterers or targets that don't need much lead or no gap to maintain?

Shallower the angle the further out the hold point is toward the kill point- letting only the eyes come back to the visual pick up.

Watch the bird approach, slowly making a move onto it then in front, which isn't much on a shallow one.

The wider ones I will chop into early if they show some belly, or ride out with the above technique, just starting further back.

Lots of ways to skin a cat though, as always!

I shoot most sporting targets using maintained lead, I just find it easier.

I think this is the knack, knowing what type of target requires what technique. What do you do on say quarterers or targets that don't need much lead or no gap to maintain?
Well technically maintained lead doesn't work on a quartering target as the lead picture isn't constant - but then the lead picture on a 90 degree crossing target isn't constant as the clay slows down. Maintained lead is good on a crosser where you have a limited window in which to shoot it. Also IMHO it's good on a long crosser where you need a lot of lead. Starting on the target i.e. pull away, can give you a lot of lead to pull out so if you think it needs, say, 15 foot, why not start, say, 10 foot in front and then adjust - it may give you a bit more time because you only have to make a small adjustment

Shallower the angle the further out the hold point is toward the kill point- letting only the eyes come back to the visual pick up.

Watch the bird approach, slowly making a move onto it then in front, which isn't much on a shallow one.

The wider ones I will chop into early if they show some belly, or ride out with the above technique, just starting further back.

Lots of ways to skin a cat though, as always!
It's such a combination of technique and it working well for you (due to practice and sheer trust). When I watch Ed shooting quartering maintained, it of course works well and looks effortless for him; but to me it also looks like it takes superb timing that I wouldn't be able to do reliably. Each to their own proven method.

Shooting maintained lead for 95% of my targets I soon realised it was letting me down on 1/4ing birds. Having had some lessons I have taken to using swing through a lot more, even on crossers. The problem I am having is timing. When I get it right I see zero percieved lead pulling trigger on front edge of clay and it seems effortless. When it it like this it makes me wonder why I would use anything else. But sometimes timing falls apart and I feel as though using this method makes me over aware of the muzzels??? ie I look at the gun. Really not sure weather to continue with this or revert back to my old way,

any thoughts?

i mate of mine shoots a very fast swing through style and he sees very little lead 12"to18"max on 40yard crossers,i think to my self it must be so easy for him as i'am seeing 12 to 15 feet.

chippy

Shooting maintained lead for 95% of my targets I soon realised it was letting me down on 1/4ing birds. Having had some lessons I have taken to using swing through a lot more, even on crossers. The problem I am having is timing. When I get it right I see zero percieved lead pulling trigger on front edge of clay and it seems effortless. When it it like this it makes me wonder why I would use anything else. But sometimes timing falls apart and I feel as though using this method makes me over aware of the muzzels??? ie I look at the gun. Really not sure weather to continue with this or revert back to my old way,
any thoughts?
I'm no pro but I think swing through is less precise and less repeatable although most of us use it here or there, sometimes without realising. Any coach I've ever been with including Mr Bloxham and Mr Faulds told me NOT to slash through hoping to pull trigger at the right spot each time!

I'm no pro but I think swing through is less precise and less repeatable although most of us use it here or there, sometimes without realising. Any coach I've ever been with including Mr Bloxham and Mr Faulds told me NOT to slash through hoping to pull trigger at the right spot each time!
And for those of us who aren't in AAA and in my case never likely to be, there's a good case to be made for the Steve Nutbeam approach of pick up the leading edge and pull away.
I love maintained lead, especially for the fast and close, and it's great when it comes good - but it takes a lot of practice cuz there isn't much margin for error.

personally I dont like a target getting in front of my barrels, makes me panic and slash wildly :( swing through for me is just not repeatable enough, relies too much on timing and if i start getting exited I get fast. Not sure that I shoot "proper" maintained but more of the insert in front and pull from there technique that mx8man describes :)

To put a good score on a card, you need to have repeatability. Swing through can be fine if the swing is not crazy fast. So often I watch a shooter do something really impressive at great speed and think, 'yes, but I bet you will drop a few', which they almost always do.

Back