Eye domanance and eye black out covers

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HedgerowPete

We all know about right side or left side, but until today i had never heard of centre or intermittent.

I have anew to me gun and trying to get everything back into order is a struggle. One small tip i was told is both eyes open for maximum view of incoming targets and then a quick close of the left eye to perfect the focus with the right just before the trigger pull.

Closing the left eye momentarily changes the sight picture on the pip ( not that we look at the pip of course)

Best i can describe is i am not 100% right or left  dominant,nor am i central. The brain plays about with it, as it suits its self.

Its not helped with a new to me gun and trying to re-educate the brain with a new sight picture and trigger point.

Now after some research in shooting glasses i see( pun, sorry) that the target people have the whole eye blacked out.

Is that an option with clay shooting?

More than anything i am trying stabilise  the new gun variants so i can focus on ( another pun sorry) getting used to the new gun and fit

Target shooters do indeed block the non shooting eye out, but it's a stationary target their aiming at. It's not really helpful to do the same with clay shooting, but some people do block out the central part of the non shooting eye on their glasses but leave the peripheral vision part clear

Target shooters do indeed block the non shooting eye out, but it's a stationary target their aiming at. It's not really helpful to do the same with clay shooting, but some people do block out the central part of the non shooting eye on their glasses but leave the peripheral vision part clear
I use a bit of translucent tape over part of the lens of my dominant eye to block it at the bead. I find it less tiring than closing my eye... each to there own though, I am sure that Hammy said he eventually trained himself to shoot both eyes open while shooting off the wrong shoulder.

I use the same that MartynB has linked, along with a fibre optic easi-hit bead. I'm left eye dom / right handed and I feel it works well for me. Certainly better than closing an eye!

I tried for a good while with magnetic spot, various patches and a full patch.   The full patch made my free eye ache by the end of the shoot and the various patches and magnetic spots just weren’t enough to make my dominant eye back off.  So I just went with two eyes and close my eye and I’m happy with that. 

I switched shoulder after about 40 cartridges. Not only am I left eye dominant, my right eye has a micro-strabismus (Tiny squint)

I can still hit targets off my right, but no where near as consistently.

I doff my cap to those of you who successfully shoot off the “wrong shoulder”

"Successfully" is the word because statistically there must be about 40% of shooters who are crossed . However there are quite a few I know who shoot well and some very well... Derek Burnett comes to mind, must be others though. True story I know a shooter who is right eye dom, right handed ... and shoots off his left !!!! I just cannot get my head round that at all. He said the first time he shouldered a gun he did it from the left shoulder because it felt right... maybe it was a left handed gun?

Latest posts

Back