Front beads

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ips

The topic of front beads have been touched upon in various threads ie should they be there at all, should we have them in our sight or just be aware of them. I allways consider for me personally they should not be too bright or big to attract your eye but I must be aware of it hence I use a brass bead.

Having watched many issf OT videos it struck me the other day whilst watching the olympic mens final how many of the top OT shooters use very bright orange or bright white beads which sort of contradicts what I and others have said, some have even gone as far as removing the sight all together (I know people who have done this and I once tried it myself) So can we conclude that these top OT shooters are fully aware of the front sight after all and we are all missing a trick which in simple terms is called "aiming" rather than "pointing"

Discuss .............

I think that we should all be more aware of putting topics into 'sporting' or 'trap', as they have different requirements and a trappy commenting on a sporting thread can be a bit painful and vice versa. No offence intended to anybody; i am just an organised soul.. :)

I did consider putting in trap however as the topic has come up a few times in the general before I decided to put it here.

I am not bothered were it goes so if admin want to move it then please feel free.

PS-Non taken ;)

None meant; really. I know nothing about trap beads, other than to guess that as the gun movement is less varied than ESP, maybe they work?? As do maybe those bits of garden fence they call ribs? Just dont know. What I wanted to avoid, for you, was a rambling waffle from Sporting shooters saying `ya dont need em` when in your case they may be everything..

Cheers

You may be correct we dont want them sporting lot hyjacking it .. :D

admin contacted

Seems strange that this should have been changed to the "Trap" section when in "Sporting" you see all different types of front beads on guns,from no bead at all to them easy hit things and all manner in between.

Trap being point and shoot may be the shooter needs something to make sure they are in line with the target.

As for sporting who knows why all the different beads.

I shot the Beretta world this year and was stood at the Beretta trade stand when an AA Oxfordshire county shooter/gunsmith borrowed a new DT11 to shoot and the first thing he done was to take it to the little workshop they had there and told them to take the bead off.He then went on to straight the pool shoot. Must just be a personal thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
In trap I would say its possible to initially have a bigger gap between bead and eye than sporting, as your eye looks to where the target went, having left the gun behind. It might help some shooters to be able to see the peripheral bead as a reference as it catches up and overtakes the clay. Of course this all happens in a split second so there is less likelyhood of actually looking at it.

No bead at all seams to suit some people but I didn't like it.

This could be domination by one manufacturer - all Perazzi current production trap and double trap models have fluorescent beads. The only alternative that comes to mind is the white ivory as used on their game guns.

This Perazzi seems a bit distorted! The mind boggles at the removeable trigger group which it has.

Last edited by a moderator:
, as your eye looks to where the target went, having left the gun behind. It might help some shooters to be able to see the peripheral bead as a reference as it catches up and overtakes the clay.
Jake

i think this is am excellent observation. I believe you are saying that you dont look at the bead or are aware of it at all but become aware of it as the barrel and target meet. Yes i think you have it one. So on that basis do we believe that a bright bead works beter cos those perazzi ones look bright as hell to me.

Fred

i Will bring one of me scopes next week and we Will gaffer tape it on to your perazzi and see how you get on :)

Jake

i think this is am excellent observation. I believe you are saying that you dont look at the bead or are aware of it at all but become aware of it as the barrel and target meet. Yes i think you have it one. So on that basis do we believe that a bright bead works beter cos those perazzi ones look bright as hell to me.
well I think it's still down to personal preference, but a lot of shooters don't really know how they hit trap birds and can't say 100% where the gun was when the shot left the muzzle. The only real issue, is making sure you're not looking at the bead, trying to measure etc, so if you never look at it you could have a tiny X-mass tree with lights on as a peripheral reference, only problem with this would be low straight away target! But do you notice how often that is missed with traditional beads! Less gap between gun and target...

True them little straight ones are little beggers, have to swing through cos its still rising. Anyway back to the topic. My point with all this is to try and establish if what we think were doing ie never looking at the bead is a myth and that actually we do. If it was true that we dont need a bead and never actually look at it apart from maybe just being slightly aware of it at some point then why do top ot shooters not either take em off or use little discreet ones instead of a glow in the dark job ?

True them little straight ones are little beggers, have to swing through cos its still rising. Anyway back to the topic. My point with all this is to try and establish if what we think were doing ie never looking at the bead is a myth and that actually we do. If it was true that we dont need a bead and never actually look at it apart from maybe just being slightly aware of it at some point then why do top ot shooters not either take em off or use little discreet ones instead of a glow in the dark job ?
I don't think it's a Myth but admit its a bit puzzling why some take them off, they must have a very good awareness of where the gun is pointing using the rib alone, which incidentally I would suspect they can see a lot of (try shooting a flat rib view and no bead, you might as well have a hand gun)

its all bollocks if all guns had a fixed white, orange, yellow bead then that would be it ! as you can change them its just another variable to mess with your head ! just call pull and shoot it. have i got the right bead, choke, cartridges errr pull bang bang loss.

Back