how to master the teal challing

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul b

im thinking of going to grange farm to try the teal,just so i dont look a complete t*t ,has anyone got any ideas on the best way to shoot it?on the way up or on the way down,i normaly shoot with a lot of gun speed,but will this big distance require more of a maintaned leed method.  

Based on the distance I would guess it takes half a second or so before the shot gets there and clays break best when under power, so I would say time things for the shot to get to it while still not quite at it's peak but wouldn't have thought early attack would be much use given the distance. As always the line is the most important thing so read that before stepping up.  Use max load allowed and it would pay to see if your barrel/choke patterns that at all well. There is  no guarantee it would or should.  This is such a new area of target shooting that almost nobody has any real idea so you're bound to pick up clues as you have a few goes. I would think that you must shoot over the top to allow for a foot or more of drop.

I broke 2 at 120 on the way down, the one at 115 at the top. Will go back in December with some 5s and go for 140!

Wow, was that with normal 1 0z 7.5's then Ed? /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif

I have severe doubts about this whole thing. We set up a chondel trap at a measured 100 metres and proceeded to blaze away. A CCI black standard is tiny at that distance and it is a bloody long way off and despite some of the group being accomplished shots, it was down to 85 metres before we could break half of them. I think there are some short metres out there and if I've said it once I've said it a thousand times, people do exaggerate. I am not convinced.

Ian ( Wylye),I have to agree with you.I think the purpose of the Grange Farm Teal Challenge is to make money/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif.As long as the targets stay the same for everyone, obviously eventually we will get a winner.Where it all goes a little pear shaped is if we are trying to emulate George.WAS his World record 130 yards or metres? As far as I know no one measured it. George just paced further and further back.Did the clay in George's record attempt go vertical? Going away? Incoming?Anyone wishing to claim a new record needs to use the same shot size, shoot at the same type of clay (manufacturer) because the clays have different characteristics.In the meantime have fun/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif.

Sorry Paul,I got carried away a bit and didn't answer your original question.I think you may have success with distant Teal by shooting at the base of it as it peaks.Normally I hold about 3/4 of the way up its flight line and as it comes to my gun I push up and through the line and shoot. But these distant ones will need a bit of thought and practice.Perhaps you could  practice on Maurice's Compact by shooting off the verandah/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif

wylye said:

I have severe doubts about this whole thing. We set up a chondel trap at a measured 100 metres and proceeded to blaze away. A CCI black standard is tiny at that distance and it is a bloody long way off and despite some of the group being accomplished shots, it was down to 85 metres before we could break half of them. I think there are some short metres out there and if I've said it once I've said it a thousand times, people do exaggerate. I am not convinced.
 Agreed that to get regular hits, say half or more, then 85 yards is plenty far enough but I think you've slightly missed the point with the long range challenge or George's display for that matter. I think even George would admit that at 135 yards yo need luck as well as judgement but ultimately it is a bit of fun and nothing gets hurt. We blast away until we find the absolute limit of shot size V distance etc.  I also agree that not only the size and angle but also the make of clay is important. There just has to be a difference in breakability between brands. On Sunday I had a poor round at Caterham but I also noticed a distinct difference between their orange and black clays breakability.  On several stands I either got poor or non breaks on stuff I couldn't believe I was missing so convincingly. One stand featured a black and orange going away pair. I watched people shoot it badly by tackling the orange first then the black which was the first to be seen. Their breaks were poor on the orange even though it was the first to be shot at, so I shot and absolutely smoked the black one first but still only managed a single break of the orange 2nd bird. Even the scorer was mystified by the manner of the smoke/non breaks. 

I agree range finder for me or one of those Meter wheel thingies!The clay should go straight up obviously it could vary when windy though.You can't even say George's teal was a world record etc in my opinion, yes it was a very long way but no details on how it was measured and who varified that.I do remember grange farm mentioning they have measured it properly so then it is what it is.Really it is not hard to set up and get verified. Just get some judges to verify the ditance pop it on the board and all is good.Max load is 36gram 5 so you can use anything below that so simple really....then go out and have a laugh and some fun!Don't see what all the fuss is about go see it for yourself if your not convinced I suppose! Glen.

First off this was set up just for a bit of fun, because at the end of the day that's what clay shootings all about./wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif But this is what i did to set it up.The first distance marker i measured out was the 100yards (91.4m) with a 50m tape and a few pegs. Then working from that mark i placed other markers at 5yard approx 4.6m intervals until i had marks from 85 to 135 yards. when setting the target at first i wanted to throw it straight up but soon realized that this would be wrong, so to try and maintain a constant distance between shooter and target Ive set the trap to throw the target up at about 18 degrees towards the shooter.  As for tips on how to shoot it, ask Ed i tried several times and never touched one /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-embarassed.gif

So the 100 yard teal is really an 80-85 yard teal, at the top anyway. How far away from the shooter does it hit the ground?

Yes, if you miss it, does it land behind you? /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gifCSC3

couldn't they use a louper which travells parallel to the shooter? or would that make to hard?

No the 100 yard teal is a 100 yard teal or as near to it as you can easily get. On a calm day the clay lands within a few yards of the trap.If the target went straight up to a height of say 80 yards and you stood 100 yards from the trap the target at the top would be approximately 130 yards from the shooter. With the trap tilted at about 18 degrees from vertical it stays around 100 yards from the shooter throughout its flight. Ofcourse this is dependent on nice calm weather which is a rarity this time of year

I think if you want to be so precise then you would be forever working out the distance to the kill point by Pythagoras etc as it is "further" the closer to the peak of it's travel. A tape measure is good enough for a friendly pool shoot which is what this is. If it was a record attempt it would have to be lazered, universal shot limits, angle, type and presentation of clay pre determined and probably limit the number of attempts allowed per person. It's a bit of a laugh, turn up, shoot it then tell everyone the trick to shootin them as they are probably only 45yard off anyhow ;-)

So now we are really getting anorakish about something that George started as a bit of an exhibition.Just for those of you with a morbid interest.If you shoot at a clay going vertical at 100 yards, at 20 yards high it will be 101 yards away                                                                       at 30 yards high it will be 104 yards away                                                                      at 40 yards high it will be  110 yards awayAngle it towards the shooter at 18 degrees and the distances become 95 yards @ 20 yards high                                                                                                   93 yards @ 30 yards high                                                                                                   91 yards @ 40 yards highNo doubt some one will come along and say that all these figures are a load of tosh, but ask yourself.Do I look bothered? /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif

Back