How did it go 5/6 Nov?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will Hewland

Hi,After I had my first reg HG on Thursday at EJC, I swaggered cockily to a local 50 bird shoot yesterday and was promptly brought down to earth with a huge bump! I hit 36 ex 50. To add insult to injury my Mrs. hit 38!!!!!/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-surprised.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-embarassed.gif So, with no ego at all, I went to the Hornet 120 reg today. A really nice shoot. Some long stuff, but nothing stupid. I felt a twonk missing some of the easiest stuff there, but still managed a respectable 104. Mickey Rouse leading on 115 when I left, which I can't believe will be beaten.. Cheers,CSC3 

Nice going my man/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif, I had a really  nice 91 at Greenfields first thing, but wish I'd gone to Hornet now. Went to Caterham for their 100 registered, massively overcooked shoot/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-embarassed.gif, one man only broke into the 90's all day with a 91/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-frown.gif. M. Marshall and A. Cobb of England team fame shot 89 and 83 and were lying 2nd and 3rd as I left. The only saving grace is my score is bound to be over 10% below my standard and hopefully won't count.  Didn't enjoy myself if I'm honest. Too many over 50 yards. One stand had a 45 yard rabbit followed by a 55 yard quartering away./wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-yell.gif

Agree with comments about Caterham, the shoot was a bit of an eyesight test. The light wasn't great but you expect that at this time of year.

well im way off you chaps but went to valley view for the frst time since its been done up and shot a 77 which im wel chuffed with/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif

Well shot Gav!!! Just the boost you needed mate. Hammy, I heard from a friend that Caterham was OTT. He is a decent A shot and hit 61. He also wishes he had done Hornet.. I have been there when it was daft. Just leaves you depressed.. I usually enjoy Caterham, especially the land itself, but I think it is run by people who dont get to other shoots, which is never good. Hornet was very good. Only one easy stand and no crippling stands, with almost all of it a firm but reasonable test. Cheers,CSC3

Just goes to show what a hard job ground owners have trying to please every one,last week people were moaning westfield was to easy,now this one's to hard!

Hi all, when was it ever said a shoot was easy?unless you shot a fab score in the 90s,As with all shoots the easy stands are the ones that catch you out.

I missed 5 targets today that were simpler than almost everything else on the course. Pretty sure i would have won A class and exceeded 90% if I had put them in the bag. Grrr..CSC3

CleverSC3 said:

Well shot Gav!!! Just the boost you needed mate. Hammy, I heard from a friend that Caterham was OTT. He is a decent A shot and hit 61. He also wishes he had done Hornet.. I have been there when it was daft. Just leaves you depressed.. I usually enjoy Caterham, especially the land itself, but I think it is run by people who dont get to other shoots, which is never good. Hornet was very good. Only one easy stand and no crippling stands, with almost all of it a firm but reasonable test. Cheers,CSC3
 cheers i definately left a few out there and the others i just couldnt find, i think the fact that we had to fly round somehow helped?

shot the little straw baler at lane end with mum and dad and put in 45 ex 50, absolutely nothing testing but went out with a view of yeah its easy but you still gotta hit em. My big problem at the moment is missing the last or last but one on a stand or losing one or the other after a couple of pairs so a good exercise in maintaining concentration and not taking anything for granted. Wonderful Sunday lunch at chez mater, with much cheese and port made up for not getting to hornet /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif

Shot 43/70 at Four Counties. Bloody annoyed with that tbh. Started off pretty strongly and felt ok. No rifling which made a pleasant change. Then 3 tricky distance stands buggered up my card. Grr! Thought I was turning a corner but just goes to show I still have weaknesses

Some good scores from the ShootClay-ers - I really missed shooting this weekend... back in the saddle next.

optima said:

Just goes to show what a hard job ground owners have trying to please every one,last week people were moaning westfield was to easy,now this one's to hard!
 It's true, hard to get it right all the time but I really think it's the setters responsibility to think about things a little. There's a world of difference between hittable and straightable.Many stands featured two hard birds, I shot a 5X8 on the rabbit stand I mentioned earlier and was told it was one shy of top score for the day!! £37 fee as well.

Well i shot weston wood and longridge today,shot terrible at both,78 and 78 nothing wrong with the targets though,just had one of those days. Westonwood was £37 longridge £35,left 6.50 am got home 5.30 pm knackered,i don't put those hours in at work/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-frown.gif

Hamster said:

optima said:
 It's true, hard to get it right all the time but I really think it's the setters responsibility to think about things a little. There's a world of difference between hittable and straightable.Many stands featured two hard birds, I shot a 5X8 on the rabbit stand I mentioned earlier and was told it was one shy of top score for the day!! £37 fee as well.
If every shoot had two or three stands as youve discribed all would be in there proper class and sand baging would stop over night. Hittable is straightable but only by the best, well done caterham sounds like the place if you want a challenge

I do thing that there as an element of macho target nonsense in some quarters..The thing is with Caterham is that their product is not reliable. I have been there when it has been easy and also when it is too bloody hard. I dont think they well understand what makes an overall course work well. I know that they set the course at dawn on the day. Father and son(s) do half the course each and I dont think they talk to each other enough? So you can get two soft halves or two tough halves!Any plonker can make targets barely hittable. Easiest job in the world; just make it hard to see / give no time to deal with it / miles away / edge on in to the sun / any combo of those. Only a good course setter can put on targets that fully challenge the shooter without that `lottery` feel to hitting them. At Hornet there were some good long birds yesterday. One was a 60 yard out tower bird, that rose l-r at 45 degrees, before looping over. However, it showed face and was repeatedly hittable if you put the shot in the right place. If the trap had been moved to make the clay edge on, or if it had gone towards the trees below, it would have been stupid. Also, with that tough target, was a sensible crosser. Well done again Hornet. CSC3

Last edited by a moderator:
Balance is the name of the game. I kind of had the same thought Clever, did several people have a hand in set up wihtout conuslting eachother?! For the record, hittable is NOT straightable, even for the best, and I would put my house on that.

Latest posts

Back