24g for abt - ut

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ips

Who uses 24g for everything and do you feel at a disadvantage ?

Pros - cons for and against doing so.

Don't all the Olympic disciplines use 24gm cartridges?

They seem to break clays OK.

I haven't enough personal experience of them to comment but I do know shooters who use them with no detriment to their scores.

Vic.

Hi, 24 for ot 28 for abt and ut however i have been using 24 for everything. Just wondered what everyone's thoughts on the matter are.

I think its a bit of a trade off, you loose a few pellets but gain a little speed, plus you have a little less recoil and that can help you getting on the second target. and as you know if you are on them you are on them.

Mick. :)

Personally speaking (and other may well disagree) i'd only shoot 24g shells if the rules insist upon it. The lack of pellets are a handicap. If recoil is a problem use a softer 28g shell, Hull Pro One DTL's are ideal.

The main thing I question is if its better to shoot one size and type all the time therefore you are used to it rather than swapping and changing even though you may be at a disadvantage or if the disadvantage if indeed there is one of not shooting 28 like everyone else outweighs the fact that you swap between the two...Phew hope any of that makes sense.

I've shot 24gm for a few years now, mainly at sporting and when I miss one it's not because of a few less pellets in the pattern. I like the less recoil too and have no intention of going back to 28gm for any of my shooting.

Mike

I certainly prefer to shoot 24 and am convinced they shoot / pattern better through my gun. I shot ut and abt with them yesterday and scores were ok but you have this doubt in your mind as to if you are at a disadvantage however if there good enough for ot they should be ok for everything else. I think i am right in saying that those of us that remember 32g dont miss them

Most shooting problems are in your head. Why have more recoil when it's not very good for you, the recent Olympics proved how good 24gms are.

When I started 32g was a common load and the guns were a lot lighter then and after a mornings shooting you knew it. I would have thought that the recent 21g shoot publicised on the forum might have opened a few more opinions on lighter loads.

Agree and as mick shaw states wene your on em your on em.

As i am currently having an enforced day at home due to yet another sciatica episode i think that i Will stick with a smooth 24 for everything.

I have used 24grm since they became compulsory for OT, I have to say that I noticed no difference at all.

les

I dont recall noticing much difference when we changed to 28 apart from recoil that is, however i suppose there is a limit as to how low you can go. Baffles me why 24 isnt the regulation in all trap disciplines ? Would certainly make things easier all round.

There's no 24g rule for domestic trap because there's no need for one. There are several brands of 28g shell that are consistently soft to shoot and offer no more felt recoil than a 24g load.

In any event, many shooters use devices like the PFS or the Evo Comp stock that take recoil out of the equation.

les

I dont recall noticing much difference when we changed to 28 apart from recoil that is, however i suppose there is a limit as to how low you can go. Baffles me why 24 isnt the regulation in all trap disciplines ? Would certainly make things easier all round.
Beats why they didn't just leave things alone! I have shot some 24grm sheels that had a kick like a 28grm or even a 32grm! I can't remember which ones they were,but I think they were Maionchi or Fiocchi,) don't think they are the right spellings though) :frown: :D

There's no 24g rule for domestic trap because there's no need for one. There are several brands of 28g shell that are consistently soft to shoot and offer no more felt recoil than a 24g load.

In any event, many shooters use devices like the PFS or the Evo Comp stock that take recoil out of the equation.
Can you tell me which brands of 28gm shell have the same felt recoil as I've tried most of them with no success. Unless they are loaded with less powder they are going to recoil more. You posted earlier mentioning DTL 300's they used to be a soft shell to shoot years ago but on Hull's website they have three bars as a level of recoil, which to me is a quite heavy recoil.

We all feel recoil differently, some shooters say they don't feel anything at all, but the recoil is still doing the damage to your body.

You mention that other types of stock take recoil out of the equation, only video evidence or sensors attached to the shooter will show this to be true, they can only change the felt recoil,and nothing else when fitted to a fixed breech gun.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are a few other factors that can have an effect on recoil; the crimp , the powder burn speed and the wad type/shape. Slower burn powders tend to push you rather than jab you, but shells with slower burn powders often equate to slower shells too. The other thing that some people don't realise is the case of shell temperature! The difference in generated pressure between a cold shell on a cold day and one that has got hot because it's been sat in a hot car in the summer can be huge. I noticed it in a big way when I used to shot Winchester Trap 200's. They always gave the shoulder a push, unless you left them in the sun or in a hot car, then they would knock your shoulder off with a huge jab. Something to bear in mind Mike!! :wink:

I shoot a gun which weighs nearly 9 pounds and only shoot a "soft" 24gm shell and it's very comfortable to shoot and I do know what temperature effect can do.

A couple of articles;

http://www.chuckhawks.com/shotgun_recoil.htm

http://www.chuckhawks.com/shotgun_recoil_monster.htm

http://www.chuckhawks.com/horror_shotgun_recoil.htm

Latest posts

Back