28 , 30 or 32"

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hawkeye said:

Which would you advise as a first gun?
  32" - start where everyone ends up /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif.  In my view body strength, discipline, gender, experience etc, etc, just doesn't come into it. Chicken is nice, really nice even, but red meat is better, always.

Yes very true,started  with 26.5,28,30 and finised on 32 and don't think i'll go any further forward or back

Assuming you have done some clay shooting,what barrel lengths have you tried up to now? What discipline do you intend shooting?Did any one length feel more comfortable than another?If you haven't already tried different lengths then my suggestion is that you do so.Most professional shooting grounds have guns for loan.My suggestion otherwise is that you start with a 30" because they usually have the most neutral handling characteristics and are more than capable of breaking any target you may come across.Do not forget that any gun must fit you correctly and here is where a good instructor or an honest,well informed dealer will be invaluable.  Vic.

I'm 5 foot 6, still taller than Hamster /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif or does he have it by a hair, full head of /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif  and 8 1/2 stone dripping wet and I shoot my best with 32" I find it so much steadier, but have seen 6 foot 6 outhouses shooting 26" well. When I went to a prominent gun company in the oxfordshire region /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif  I was told 28" for my build and dont go near browning or miroku as they will have too much comb height. What a laugh Ive shot better scores with a 32" ultra xs and my current miroku mk38 than I did with a 28" bettinsoli or beretta which was recommended. Best advice I can give (and I have gone through some guns) is try as many as you can, different makes and barrel lengths and buy the one you shoot best. If you have a shooting mate to take along with you even better.

Serious question, can anybody recall the last notable sporting/fitasc championship that wasn't won with 32"? The ratio is probably 20/1 .

October issue of Clay shooter, the promatic challenge was joint won by Ed. He shoots 34" I believe/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-cool.gif  slightly facetious but I know what you're getting at, longer tubes seem to be the order of the day. However, just because George, Richard, Ben, Ed et al shoot 32" min doesnt mean an average shooter will shoot better with that. Just because Luke Donald plays Mizuno MP62s doesnt mean I will be world golf number 1 if I play them.

I also know what others mean when they say try different lengths and see but if you look at the results V 32", the figures don't lie. ps. Ed's is a 32" K80, he happens to have a choke extension issue himself /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif.

I'm 6'5 and started with a 28" 325 but changed up to a 32" 425 after 2 years, I noticed perceived lead to be a ot different and the 32 was easier to control with the way I shoot most of my targets.

Be nice to get a ladies view, us men are always banging on about longer is better /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif

The ladies are hardly gonna opt for short and chubby are they? /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif Joking aside, the better female shooters also wield the long guns I believe.

Shooting a 30 inch 390 or 391 is like shooting a 34 O/U. But a 32 is what I normaly shoot for clays and not game. Maybe a shoot get a 34 O/U?  it is the "moment of inertia" that makes a gun lively or not. Because we cannot focus both on the shotgun bead and the target, a longer barrel that has the "right feel" will help you on the longer targets. Mind you, I have NEVER been over barrelled on everything from rolling rabbits at 10 feet, decoying ducks that are in your face nor skeet targets with my 391 Gold Optima with 30 inch barrels (34 inch O/U). But, between a Chapuis 30 inch 28 Ga that the last two weeks was VERY succesfull on pheasants over Oban, and a DT10L on clays, barrel lenght is very personal! BTW, "It is not the throb of the knob that does the trick, it is the flick of the prick that does the trick" ! Now for the math: " The throb of the knob is equal to the drip of the prick which inversly proportional to angle of the dangle" From the McGill U, "Plumbers Pot"!Regards,Henry/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif

Outlaw said:

I'm 6'5 and started with a 28" 325 but changed up to a 32" 425 after 2 years, I noticed perceived lead to be a ot different and the 32 was easier to control with the way I shoot most of my targets.
Yesi too noticed the lead picture was completely different when i went from 30 to 32 i saw a lot less lead with the longer barrels and still miss a lot of targets in front,i did even consider going back to a 30 for this reason,but i like the gun to much

Matt, Matt, they're being rude on here! /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-surprised.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif CSC3

Latest posts

Back