Small Shoot - Handicapping....

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExSCA

ShootClay Admin
Right - here's an hypothetical question for some experts... If I was to run a small 'ShootClay Open' and get some prizes and prize money together - how could I run and score a shoot so that the C-class peeps could compete against the A-class people?  If I did this for 10/12/15 people  - I'd really want it to be fun, and I'd like to try and level the playing field a little so that some of the ShootClay beginners could enjoy the day. Any suggestions? If I can come up with a system that works - then I'll happily organise and sponsor a day maybe with a chairty link as well.

Hi Matt what about the worldsporting handicap system, anything there that may be of use? although i think they take previous scores into account which maybe difficult on a one off also Im up for lending a hand if you need it

Or use the very proven RBSS system. Handicap based on cpsa averages..See RBSS site for details (so that I dont have to explain..) CSC3

It would be relatively simple to classify unknown shooters on the day. All you need is a list of say three stands out of the ten, known only to the organisers, and classify their performance on these targets. As an alternative, have a high gun prize then pay out on various places down the order 10th./15th.20th. etc.etc. High gun money would keep the pot hunters quiet and the rest of the prizes are random. You could even pay out on the very lowest score. Just a thought.

I like that idea Ian - that is simple enough - and a wooden spoon prize might cover my petrol.

Lewis class. Pretty much as above, paid out in equal splits depending on numbers and results of shoot. Eg 100 guns (for argument sake) pay top 2, then 25+26, then 50th +51st and so on. No one knows who gets what (except hg) until all scores are in.

Lewis.. might as well shoot, then pull prizes out of a hat. Hate it as it makes zero sense. Just me..?CSC3

I think john bidwell does the same sort of thing at the gamefaircertain targets are worth more points than others, he had 8 stands 5 birds shot on each

raffle tickets pulled out to decide who wins what. might as well if thats the road people want to go down. it could end up with someone having there first ever shoot and winning some good money and leaving the guy who is trying his best to learn the sport and improving all the time feeling a little peeved.

If it's just a website day trip then don't think anyone will take it too serious anyhow? Whatever method is chosen it's going to "handicap" the better shots so does it really matter? Just an observation!

wylye said:

It would be relatively simple to classify unknown shooters on the day. All you need is a list of say three stands out of the ten, known only to the organisers, and classify their performance on these targets. This is quite a common method of arriving at a temporary classification system and is easy to apply if you use the CPSA class divisions.Just make sure that on the day your calculator has got a good battery!You can do the same thing for a handicap.Let's say you are shooting a 100 bird shoot,set a scratch score of 90 and choose three eight bird stands for a max of 24.Shooter scores 18 out of 24 so their average is 18 x 100 /24 =75.That makes their handicap +15 to be added to their final score.The big guns may win anyway but if someone hits a purple patch on the day,who knows?Any ideas on when and where,or is it just a thought at the moment,Matt? Vic.

All good points as well - it's not a truly well thought out idea yet - I think I will work on something above a luck of the draw thing, but below just having 20 people in 'classes' - it would all depend on how many entries I was to get for something.I'll bounce it around a little before i go to the next step..

The really simple way to do it is to just use cpsa averages, I.e whomever shoots the most above their average wins?CSC3

Clever SC3,I don't think that would be a fair system.I used to be AA in Sporting but due to a shoulder injury and subsequent operation I have slipped into B.Shoulder successfully repaired and regular shooting, I am again enjoying myself and improving .I certainly would not like to be classed as a sandbagger but unfortunately that's what the system allows.

Latest posts

Back