Practice

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GavB

Im interested in how people go about practicing sporting, or dont you bother and just shoot as many comps as possible When I go to my club I usually get drawn into shooting a round and come away none the wiser so, all you top shots how do you go about practicing perfectly

I just shoot a couple registered on a Sunday, occasionally have a round after coaching in summer as the days are long but don't enjoy it to be honest! I'd only want to do it if I felt I had a real problem with a specific bird.

OK, I'm not a TOP-SHOT, but.. Its personal I think. I once asked Micky Rouse (when I had not been shooting long) whether lessons or practice was the best route. He said `lessons for a specific problem, but otherwise its just lead-in-the-air needed`. I would suggest that if you have been shooting a while and are scoring 65-70 or less, with very few straights on the card, and are not improving, then some instruction would be good. There may be a couple of key obvious changes needed that will get spotted. These days, I usually screw up a good card by having just a few bad stands, so it is all about `those problem targets` for me in the main. Notable ones for over the last year or two have been teal, close rabbits, high overhead aways and stuff that hangs and drops in an arc. I have gone and practiced these at AC sporting targets at West London. On those days, I do just a bit of `round` shooting, but mostly practice the problem birds until I learn what to do. Very useful. CSC3

I'm not a top shot either but consider practice is all about what you want to get out of it. Sometimes its good fun to have a round with some mates but not get much out of it.On the other hand if you approach practice and competition with the attitude to learn then you can pick up all kinds of tips by just watching how people approach certain targets and also by talking to them at an appropriate moment.For example a few of my mates at club shoots have had difficulty with loopers, I told them what works for me is to start and stay in front so that you can see the line of the bird, with swing through method you can lose the line of a dropping bird. Their hit rate improved immediately!I think its all too easy to just keep repeating the same old approach to problem targets, so practice is the ieal opportunity to try something different from something you have learnt from reading, seeing or talking.Stewart

I don't practice! I do shoot with some friends for fun. I do shoot a lot (for NA) comps. Your subconscience records the shot targets. You learn on what you hit. If you missed a certain presentation, then you need to practice to hit it and get a good coach to help you! Mostly, hard focus on the target will automaticaly give you a good score. Do you look at the bat at cricket or the ball? The football or the foot? Get it? Coaches are there to help you out with certain presentation problems! The Lone Canadian,Henry/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif

Decided a couple of months ago to have a crack at registered. It's not that I have any great expectations of a high ranking, rather that I was losing interest in fun shoots and wanted more of a challenge. I knew that I needed to sharpen up a bit and get used to bigger, tougher presentations so I started dropping in to Ian Coley's on Thursdays to shoot the compak.  Those targets are not soft and there aren't many straights even though some pretty good people turn up. Definitely worthwhile if you want to quickly find out where your strengths & weaknesses are.What I also do at Sunday sporting is shoot some report pairs as doubles or reverse the sequence. Where possible,  I'll ignore the sweet spot and shoot earlier or sometimes later in the flight. Pretty much anything to build the repertoire and boost confidence.One thing I don't do is practice by shooting DTL or ABT.  Not only do I start losing he will to live by about the 10th target. but it also boogies up my shooting for the next 50 or so sporting targets.

Yes, I think the reason why many of us shoot competitions (rather than practice) is simply because of focus. Personally I just cant find motivation to stand in a field and break pottery for no reason. It needs to be a registered shoot to make me want to hit the stuff. Also, I can then be REALLY pissed off when I shoot below my average../wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-yell.gif CSC3

Practice, practice, practice on your bogey target/s with a good coach and watch your scores soar.I had a guy today for an hour that just couldn't hit 40yd teal or 60yd crossers, an hour later he could hit them well and consistently.He now needs to keep practising them for the next few weeks a month maybe until it becomes one of his specialities.At Wylye the registered targets are left there for a week so you can go back and practice that bogey target, with a coach if need be./wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif

Latest posts

Back