Barrel length for a shorty

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MK82

I'm sure this is a topic that has been discussed to death but...

What barrel length is ideal for someone like myself who is:

5'3" (160cm)

Slight build

and wants to shoot Sporting and skeet (mainly at club level but aiming for competition at some point)?

I currently shoot 28 inch barrel and thinking of upgrading my gun. Stick with 28 or go 30? I've been told 30 is ideal for competition?

It's not about your size it's about what you feel comfortable using. There are plenty of people of your size shooting 32" guns. It depends on the gun and on you. If you have the normal strength of an adult you should be able to shoot any standard sporting gun up to 34".

Of course you might be perfectly happy with 30", there's no rule that says you have to pick the longest barrels, it just happens that most top sporting shots seem to use 32" barrels.

5' 3ish here and shoot a 30" barrel gun. Not of slight build, but being female I don't have the best upper body strength. One of the key things for me is the balance of my gun. I struggle with anything nose heavy, but mine isn't and causes me no problems at all.

Thanks all. Does it matter what type of disciplines you shoot? or does that again comes down to your comfort?

Traditionally shorter barrels for skeet, longer for trap and sporting. I used to shoot a 28" barrel DT10, but when I changed gun a few years ago moved to a 30". I tried out a 32" as well. Was fine with the longer ones, only difference was a slight slowing up after I'd shot a lot of targets. 

30" is a good compromise for me. Better for judging lead on more distant crossers than 28s, but still quick enough moving on quick, close targets.

I'm sure this is a topic that has been discussed to death but...

What barrel length is ideal for someone like myself who is:

5'3" (160cm)

Slight build

and wants to shoot Sporting and skeet (mainly at club level but aiming for competition at some point)?

I currently shoot 28 inch barrel and thinking of upgrading my gun. Stick with 28 or go 30? I've been told 30 is ideal for competition?
As others have said, feel is far more important than barrel length. Not least because barrel weight varies considerably between brands and models. A 32” Beretta 682 barrel would weigh less than a 30” Krieghoff K80 barrel. 

The only answer is to try different barrel combinations and see what suits.

I concur with previous commentators. 

I have shot Blaser F3 in 38, (err... 28” ffs 🙄)  30 and 32 and for me I felt no discernible difference. In all cases the gun was well balanced. 

On the orherhand, I shot a Browning 725 with 30” barrels which was set up nose heavy and it felt like I was trying to swing a skip 

I’m 5’6 and 3/4.  Don’t forget about the 3/4”

Last edited by a moderator:
So would you recommend a make that would be well balanced? 

@MK82 some guns are fitter with a balancing system. Blaser F16, F3. Beretta DT10/11. Browning Ultra XS, 725 Pro for example. These can be balanced by adding/removing weights from the barrel/stock.

That said, any gun can be balanced. If stock heavy, you can add weight to the stock. You can use a shop bought copper cylinder. You can cut up cartridges and use the lead shot. You can use old industrial carbide drill. These can be wedged I’m place. You can even mix lead shot with epoxy resin and cast into place. You can make this removable if you’re careful to provide a barrier for the adhesive.  

In brief, any gun can be balanced. 

@MK82 some guns are fitter with a balancing system. Blaser F16, F3. Beretta DT10/11. Browning Ultra XS, 725 Pro for example. These can be balanced by adding/removing weights from the barrel/stock.

That said, any gun can be balanced. If stock heavy, you can add weight to the stock. You can use a shop bought copper cylinder. You can cut up cartridges and use the lead shot. You can use old industrial carbide drill. These can be wedged I’m place. You can even mix lead shot with epoxy resin and cast into place. You can make this removable if you’re careful to provide a barrier for the adhesive.  

In brief, an hi can be balanced. 
Berretta 690 series?

32” preferably - and not less than 30”
I’m interested in your thought process  behind this. I always take what you say fairly seriously as reading back over comments you make, they always seem to have some logic and experience underpinning them. 

As I said above, I have shot 28, 30 & 32 inch and I can hardly tell the difference 

I think it tends to be a trend thing, all the top shots (mainly) are using x out of x y z so that must be the one to use 😉

I’m interested in your thought process  behind this. I always take what you say fairly seriously as reading back over comments you make, they always seem to have some logic and experience underpinning them. 

As I said above, I have shot 28, 30 & 32 inch and I can hardly tell the difference 
People love to describe the FACT all the top shots use 32” (mainly) as a trend, the truth is this “trend” started in the early 80’s with zero sign of abating. My thought process is always based on provable truth. 

I’m only 4’11” and shoot a K80 parlours 32” with no problems.  I used to have an MK38 30” which I shot for years BUT it was heavy up front and I struggled to get it moving fast on whizzy targets and driven.  Shot the long targets very well with it though.  End of last year got my K80, had Teague chokes done for it, Nigel Teague then fitted it for me and by the time I got it back only had a month or so with it before we went into lockdown.  Since coming back I’ve improved weekly, it’s easy to move, I can shoot much quicker, it feels lighter, no recoil and is balanced really well.  I had to have a fair bit off the stock as I’m slight in build but if I can use a 32” anyone can as long as it’s balanced by someone who knows what they’re doing.  
We all shoot different guns with different length barrels, I guess what we are all saying is go with what’s comfortable for you but make sure it balances on the pin, you cannot believe the difference that makes.  Good luck!

Latest posts

Back