Flush chokes

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MK82

Do all 'new' clay shotguns  nowadays have options for flush and extended chokes? Seems like the extended ones are in fashion these days. (But I prefer flush ones). 

Looking at Teague/Briley website they show extended and flush for My Gureini/Browning

I'm looking at Beretta 690 series - the pictures all have extended chokes - just wondered if they have options for flush ones....

I'm looking at Beretta 690 series - the pictures all have extended chokes - just wondered if they have options for flush ones....
Certainly. Take a look at the Beretta site (and e-store). The 690's take Optima HP chokes which are available extended (even up to 5cm if I'm not mistaken), as well as flush seating. I am swapping out my extended skeet chokes for flush cylinders, just to see what effect (if any) that'll have. 

If anyone is able to detect a performance difference between the different styles it may well be a revelation.  Insensitive, hack clot that I am I even have difficulty discerning the diff between 3/8 and 1/2.  OK that's a lie - I don't have difficulty with it I simply see no diff.  And flush vs/ extended?  Phffffft!

JMO of course tho I'm sure the makers hype is contrary

If anyone is able to detect a performance difference between the different styles it may well be a revelation.  Insensitive, hack clot that I am I even have difficulty discerning the diff between 3/8 and 1/2.  OK that's a lie - I don't have difficulty with it I simply see no diff.  And flush vs/ extended?  Phffffft!

Haha, just preferring the flush ones from aesthetic point of view, not the performance!

I just fitted two Teague half flush chokes. 
standard chokes supplied with gun were extended. I have not been able to discern any difference... But then I barely notice the difference between 21g and 28g

Most sporters these days come with extended chokes, game guns tend to have flush chokes, people buy after market chokes as the fancy takes them or if the manufacturer doesn't supply the constriction the shooter wants 

I'm pretty sure I will not be able to detect any physical performance improvements. Disproving perceived mental advantages however... Also, they're just more shiny bits to have and covet.  

I'm pretty sure I will not be able to detect any physical performance improvements. 
I put the flush chokes on a scale (17-19 grams), as well as the extended ones (27-29 grams). Weight difference is a modest 10-12 grams between them, but for two chokes that does add up. So besides the 'shorter barrel' (not having an additional 20mm of choke sticking out) there is a perceptible difference in weight at the very end of the barrel. Of course having weighed them adds to that perception 😁 .

As for performance improvement, suffice to say I am better off practicing than pondering the alleged effects of the above. 

I use 1 flush choke and 1 extended choke...............................I find this combination an excellent choice,  because it only leaves ONE black ring on my shoe   !      :whistle:    
Dear me Wesley, haven't you seen these?

61olxyk1KML__AC_UL480_QL65_.jpg

Now you can have chokes of the same length, however - one foot will feel heavier than the other

That, and you have to decide which foot to wear it on... choices choices. 

Don't forget to take it off before you leave the ground though, looks a little funny walking around the shops with it still flapping around down there 😉

Dear me Wesley, haven't you seen these?

View attachment 8321

Now you can have chokes of the same length, however - one foot will feel heavier than the other
Oh, I have 2 of those, the problem is I sound like a Circus clown walking around with one (or both) feet going slap, slap, slap. I stopped using them after I overheard someone saying "Here comes that slapper with the auto "   !     🙄

Latest posts

Back