Browning GTI Trap (info and chokes?)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

---

I recently picked up a Browning GTI Trap. Solid citori setup and fairly reputable trap gun back in its day I think.

It's a 1989 model with 30" barrels choked 1/2 & full with red and black action. I'm not sure if the red and black is for the trap models or for early models - I've heard people say both.

It's an early model so believe it has flush standard invector tubes in it. I was hoping to swap these out for some Teague standard invectors, maybe standard invector extended if they're known to pattern better? The barrel isn't backbored or ported so I shouldnt have any compatability issues.

Is it quite likely that the old tubes will be seized in through time / lack of cleaning, or even with locktight due to it being a trap gun? 

Might have been an idea to check the chokes before you bought it.

No one in their right mind would loctite a choke tube in , so I wouldn’t worry about that . I’ve seen red line GTi sporters , and then later I do believe they changed GTis to gold lines .

If you can’t get the chokes out with the standard key , step one is fill a container with WD40 or a similar all purpose penetrating oil , check the front sight isn’t just plastic , then stick the muzzles in the fluid for 3 or 4 days , then try again . If they don’t move after that I’d see a gunsmith , choke removal is a bread and butter job for them 

Will an aftermarket Teague Invector choke pattern better than your standard ? Only way is to buy them and compare with the standard chokes on a pattern plate . Of course though no one who has spent a hundred quid on a pair of chokes is going to tell you they are crap  . I’d buy an extended pair and just screw then in with your fingers .

The  GTI would have been 3/4 and full when new. Not a multi choke..
I thought 1980s brownings would have the standard invector at the end of the fixed choke era in the 1970s

I thought 1980s brownings would have the standard invector at the end of the fixed choke era in the 1970s
When you look at the the muzzles , can you see in each tube the four notches , that a standard Browning choke key would locate in ?  

Many  new trap specific guns today are sold today as fixed choke , generally  full and three quarters . 

When you look at the the muzzles , can you see in each tube the four notches , that a standard Browning choke key would locate in ?  

Many  new trap specific guns today are sold today as fixed choke , generally  full and three quarters . 
👍 I guess the only way to check is to see when I get it from storage this weekend. 

If they are multi choked barrels it should be easy to see the flared last 3" of barrels at the muzzle. If they are multi choked and the chokes are stuck. Stand the barrels muzzle end down in a container of diesel for a couple of days, the chokes should then come out easily. I have done a few barrels with stuck chokes (none mine, I hasten to add) using the diesel method and not been beaten yet.

Latest posts

Back