O/U or SBS users, who does it?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Outlaw

I have shot O/U's SBS's and autos but wondered how many people on the forum still check thier barrels are clear before they reload, not possible on an auto obviously. I did it religiously when I started shooting but have let it slip a bit now. I you have done, and slipped like me, do you know why you let it slip?I realised I could tell the difference between a fired round and a miss fire that might leave a wad up the pipe but that isnt fool proof.I am starting to shoot a bit more now, and I am building it into my routine, never be too sure when I might get caught out.

I am not too sure if I should be embarrassed to say…..I have never thought of that. /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-embarassed.gifI am careful about not putting barrels on the ground or such like that could get mud in the end etc, but had not thought about a wad getting left in there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I look - most of the time... I had never thought of why though.

sp1boy said:

but had not thought about a wad getting left in there.
I've seen it happen a few times. Years ago Rio shells would have the odd blooper, especially in cold weather, but the sound was completely different so you always knew. I've also seen it happen with a newish shooter who would have happily reloaded and carried on shooting but for a more experienced person stopping them and explaining.  Even then some are dumb enough to insist that a stuck wad isn't a problem and all you do is pop in fresh shell and blow it out.

Outlaw said:

I have shot O/U's SBS's and autos but wondered how many people on the forum still check thier barrels are clear before they reload, not possible on an auto obviously. I did it religiously when I started shooting but have let it slip a bit now. I you have done, and slipped like me, do you know why you let it slip?I realised I could tell the difference between a fired round and a miss fire that might leave a wad up the pipe but that isnt fool proof.I am starting to shoot a bit more now, and I am building it into my routine, never be too sure when I might get caught out.
I look before the start of every drive. When I'm on the peg at Fitasc I have a look too but tend not to when I'm shooting sporting. Don't know why.It has to be said that I have never had anything lodged in the barrels all the time I have been looking!

i,ve seen wads stuck up the barrel  twice,but both shells were out of the same box so could have been bad batch,i was using an auto with 3 inch magnams,with a skein of geese over me the shot just didn't sound right,but the next shell was chambered ready  to fire so could of been nasty.

I tend to glance inside the barrels before the first pair but not thereafter. You can check auto's too but it entails knowing the chamber is empty and the bolt drawn back, if you look through the wrong end you can clearly see the firing pin hole /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-surprised.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif.

Hamster said:

I tend to glance inside the barrels before the first pair but not thereafter. You can check auto's too but it entails knowing the chamber is empty and the bolt drawn back, if you look through the wrong end you can clearly see the firing pin hole /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-surprised.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif.
Spot on re the auto, that's what I do I just look down the business end in between stands as the butt is sat on my foot and the action locked open so I know it's safe, when shooting skeet I don't refit the breech flag until I have finished on 7 but sporting it's removed on the stand and also refitted there.  It's easy to see the barrel is clear.  Another one to check is if your chokes are seated properly on a multi choke gun ;)  If I was to get a funny report then the barrel would be off for a proper check :(  Jon.

Start of every drive and when I get in the cage. I have had a few wads stuck, usually fibre. Had a really bad batch of eley first fibres, went pop and shot rolled out the barrel/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-surprised.gif had one not long ago at 4 counties with my 20 bore guy waiting behind me had his non shooting missus along who looked on in horror as I broke a bit of elder out the hedge and stuffed it down the barrel/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif Note to self must stick a 3 piece rod in my shooting bag /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-cool.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-cool.gif

I have only ever experienced one blooper, probably because most of us use plastic wads. It was 1984 at a straw baler, blokes gun went pop and he proceeded to carry on and reload as normal, I ran up to him and asked him to stop and together with the help of another chap who'd also noticed what was going on we removed the obstruction from the barrel. /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-surprised.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-surprised.gif

I do think it seems to be a fibre problem, usually when its damp or cold. If I have to use fibre might be worth secreting a few in the undercrackers to keep them warm whilst waiting /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif

My routine:-Open gun, check barrels clear, load,close, fire, open,eject, blow down barrels.As you bring the gun to the face and blow down the barrels the chambers / bores pass your line of vision,so sub-consciously you you actually look down the barrels and check they are clear.It may sound a long winded routine but I can assure you it is not.Try it, it might save a finger,hand, or life. /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif

I do check every time by holding the gun so I can check as I reload.But I was recently doing a gun review on a new Remington semi auto when I had a cartridge that made a very weird noise when it went off so I didn't try and shoot the second bird but checked the barrel.I emptied the gun and saw that there was definitely some thing in the barrel.  So I got a wooden cleaning rod and tried to push the object out.....but to no avail. What ever it was it was stuck fast.I decided to put the gun in the car and look at it when I got home.Later that evening I pushed an aluminium cleaning rod down the muzzle end of the auto's barrel only to hear a metal against metal tink, tink noise. Now this was definitely not right.I decided to take the multi choke out of the barrel and look at it. It was quite stiff to get out stiffer than it should of been that's for sure. When I eventually got the choke out I was horrified with what I saw./wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-surprised.gif The wall of the choke had imploded in to the opposite side of the choke making it impossible to shoot anything through the barrels again.O.M.G what if I had gone for that second bird.....the gun would of blown up for sure.I've thought about it quite a lot lately...what if, what if ?I'm just glad that I was experienced enough to do the right thing at the exact right time.A very close call./wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif

What could have caused that then?/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-surprised.gif

I've heard that if you, for instance drop a choke and it puts it slightly out of round, that shot can catch on the edge bending it in. and also if its not completely tight it can happen Edit, And what he said /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif

It is extremely important to take care of chokes and their lead in diameters.Because of the variables in machining tolerances multichoke guns normally have a lead machined into the barrel of a greater diameter than the parent bore. this is to avoid having a noticable 'step' into the choke.Therefore it is extremely important  to make sure that chokes are not damaged by dropping, and remain concentric.Briley 'used to' machine each choke specifically for each barrel. But due to demand they compromised with a 'fit all' dimension.Teague still provides this service if you have your gun' factory Teagued' and maintains the data to enable you to purchase chokes at a later date specifically for your gun by quoting the serial number.After market Teagues are manufactured to a 'fit all' tolerance.Be very careful when fitting a new choke for the first time to your gun that it does fit correctly without a 'step'.'A little care with your gun today,  will prevent a lifetime in Heaven'Perhaps we should ban all Multichokes and all shoot 3/4 & Full fixed choke MK38's /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif

Nooooo /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-cry.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-cry.gif my averages are bad enough without having to shoot tight and tighter /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-cry.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-cry.gif My mk38 is factory teagued and its great/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif  Thin wall chokes are so light it doesnt affect the balance at all. But as you say, even more so with the thin wall chokes you have to look after them. Keep em cased and not just thrown in the shooting bag. Fuzrat

Latest posts

Back