Alternative to Cast

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisPackham

Hi Guys

i have a nice stock that is super straight and the gunshop won’t bend to add cast due to grain so I’m looking for alternative ideas

thanks

What gun is it ?  I’ve got a couple of GD5 Mirokus , had them bent  , but with an explicit warning that they can go pop because of the American Walnut , they had metal tubes through the wrist that had to be removed before the cast could be done   . High risk because a new stock was £1000+ in both cases , but Nigel Teague did the 12 and Brian Webster the other. so perhaps a second opinion ? 

I’ve also had  a couple Berettas cast way back in the past where the stocker adjusted the fit between the head of the stock and the action , but the guy who did it is long gone from this life . You could ask around and see if that’s possible . Lastly you  do have the option of an adjustable comb conversion . 

Manuel Ricardo custom stock

Grade 1/Standard  €550
Grade 2/D €700
Grade 3/C €850
Grade 4/B €1,000
Grade 5/A €1,200
Grade X/Exhibition €1,400+

Fore-end €450

Glove grip €100

Adjustable comb €200

Thats very competitive when you compare to factory prices for replacement stocks and more so when compared to factory custom stocks  

you can order online  Manuel has a process for sending in you measurements, or take a four day holiday to Portugal, flights from Luton by EasyJet £25 each way per passenger  hotel (discount arranged via Manuel Ricardo) approx £320 for 4 nights + food and drinks  you get to try the the gun on the trap range as Manuel is sighted on a shooting grounds and you leave knowing the gun fits you.

Keep the original stock so when you come to sell your gun it has a one size fits all stock  of your gun is a keeper, flog the old stock to offset some of the cost of the custom one.

My son and I are going to go next spring. In the meantime I knocked up a rough stock myself

The standard 4-way adjustable comb (cheap and easy) accommodates a comb offset that is exactly the same effect as cast.  Cast is just a poor imitation of a properly offset comb.

Last edited by a moderator:
For stock alterations, fitting, Tim Greenwood is your man. Full custom stock Midland Gun Services is the place to go. 

Have had both G1 MK38 (plain wood but ram rod straight) and a MX2000S (lovely wood, in my eyes that is & new - off shelf) cast by Nigel Teague, depending on where you are etc (Nigel is in Gloucestershire) You would benefit from a second opinion 

I had a mate with a similar problem and it was solved with one of these: https://www.alanrhone-store.com/product_info.php?products_id=1251 
I see! Good idea...

Manuel Ricardo custom stock

Grade 1/Standard  €550
Grade 2/D €700
Grade 3/C €850
Grade 4/B €1,000
Grade 5/A €1,200
Grade X/Exhibition €1,400+

Fore-end €450

Glove grip €100

Adjustable comb €200

Thats very competitive when you compare to factory prices for replacement stocks and more so when compared to factory custom stocks  

you can order online  Manuel has a process for sending in you measurements, or take a four day holiday to Portugal, flights from Luton by EasyJet £25 each way per passenger  hotel (discount arranged via Manuel Ricardo) approx £320 for 4 nights + food and drinks  you get to try the the gun on the trap range as Manuel is sighted on a shooting grounds and you leave knowing the gun fits you.

Keep the original stock so when you come to sell your gun it has a one size fits all stock  of your gun is a keeper, flog the old stock to offset some of the cost of the custom one.

My son and I are going to go next spring. In the meantime I knocked up a rough stock myself
It’s a £4K gun so although I appreciate the idea it’s just not worth it...

How much cast do you need? Despite the long held and oft repeated myth to the contrary, an adjustable comb is not a realistic alternative to cast as it only moves the head in relation to the rib, but if you only need a few mm of cast then it would work.

The standard 4-way adjustable comb (cheap and easy) accommodates a comb offset that is exactly the same effect as cast.  Cast is just a poor imitation of a properly offset comb.
Thing is though Wonko some guns are just too pretty to bastardise with an adjustable comb . Fine on my K80 where the barrels and choke swages look like an apprentice pipe fitter’s test piece , but on my Mk60 20G game gun I’d rather put pins in my eyes than have an adjustable😂 ,  but each to his own . One consideration of course is how much cast do you need ? If the gun has a thickish comb ( like my k80 ) a substantial adjustment can leave a sharp ledge that you’ll feel as the gun comes into your face . In the end I had cast put on the K80 and just used the up and down on the adjustable  . That’s why I subscribe to the see a Teague , Greenwood , Webster et al  school of thought . These guys have seen every problem a man can have with a stock  and might have something tucked away in their solutions bank . 

Thing is though Wonko some guns are just too pretty to bastardise with an adjustable comb . Fine on my K80 where the barrels and choke swages look like an apprentice pipe fitter’s test piece , but on my Mk60 20G game gun I’d rather put pins in my eyes than have an adjustable😂 ,  but each to his own . One consideration of course is how much cast do you need ? If the gun has a thickish comb ( like my k80 ) a substantial adjustment can leave a sharp ledge that you’ll feel as the gun comes into your face . In the end I had cast put on the K80 and just used the up and down on the adjustable  . That’s why I subscribe to the see a Teague , Greenwood , Webster et al  school of thought . These guys have seen every problem a man can have with a stock  and might have something tucked away in their solutions bank . 
This, it’s a good looking game gun, I don’t want it looking like it’s been to Halfords ..

How much cast do you need? Despite the long held and oft repeated myth to the contrary, an adjustable comb is not a realistic alternative to cast as it only moves the head in relation to the rib, but if you only need a few mm of cast then it would work.
probably too much..

It’s a £4K gun so although I appreciate the idea it’s just not worth it...
So when does it become worth it, compared to the value of the gun. I paid £4400, for my second hand P gun (which is a definite keeper). Took it to MGS for a full custom stock at £1400. Has it made much difference to my scores, probably not, but it fits, and is a much more comfortable gun to shoot now.

This, it’s a good looking game gun, I don’t want it looking like it’s been to Halfords ..

probably too much..
Chap, From your original q, and with the cast in mind, the gun shop may be erring on the side of caution from what they are able to do, will repeat the suggestion others have made that you take it to one of the named gunsmiths / stockers for that second opinion, your not committing to anything and other than a bit of travelling/ time you’ve not really nowt to lose? 

In spirit I have to agree with you - mutilating a lovely piece of wood is near a crime.  BUT - I've never had anything like that and each and every one of my guns has found its way onto a gun rack at the shooting grounds where God knows who is likely to do God knows what to my toys.  And I've seen some incidents that you'd be pressed to believe.  So cutting a comb or fitting one of the anatomical stocks tho odious has never been problematic.  I've always hoped that I'd own a pretty gun one day but as time passes that seems less and less likely   :phew:

And that is all an offset comb (cast at the heel) is meant to achieve and is no myth at all.  Cast at the toe serves quite another purpose having nothing to do with the effect of cast at the heel but convenient to crank in at the same time

You've got your geometry wrong Charlie. A straight stock is still a straight stock no matter what you do with an adjustable comb. If you try to create cast by moving the comb laterally toward the cheek of a RH shooter, you'll simply end up making the gun shoot to the left.

You've got your geometry wrong Charlie. A straight stock is still a straight stock no matter what you do with an adjustable comb. If you try to create cast by moving the comb laterally toward the cheek of a RH shooter, you'll simply end up making the gun shoot to the left.
Maybe but an adjustable comb can account for a straight when a degree of offset is required to place the shooters eye over the center of the rib while the gun is in a shoot-able mounting position. The thing we are not told here is does the stock need cast in ref to heal , toe  or both? Kreighoff for example boast that their adjustable comb stock can give up to 5mm of cast left or right ... their words not mine. I was led to believe that cast at the toe was a measurement that was more relevant to recoil issues and second barrel target acquiring than placing the shooters eye over the center of the rib? It is irrelevant anyway this stocker has told you it is not to be done and I am assuming he knows what he is about? Either get a new stock or a new gun... unless it is a Purdey some blind chap that has flogged to you.

As I said earlier, an adjustable comb can allow a few mm of cast adjustment but it's incorrect to state that it overcomes the need for bending/twisting the stock to develop cast. 
Depends how you view that statement. If the comb is moved either way the gun has cast... it may not be cast at the toe but it will be cast at the heal. The gun does not have to have cast at the toe to have cast.

Depends how you view that statement. If the comb is moved either way the gun has cast... it may not be cast at the toe but it will be cast at the heal.
Correct

Latest posts

Back