Empty Cartridges

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sp1boy

Am I being unreasonable at getting annoyed with shooters who just let their cartridges drop all over the floor.Is the bin not placed there for a reason? /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-confused.gif I shoot with a number of Auto users who manage to pick up their empties and put them in the bucket. What do others think?

Hi, I completely agree, although I shoot a Semi-Auto I will always pick them up when possible, i.e. the empty hulls are accessible to me without putting someone else on the stand off or when it's really busy on a skeet layout.  However if it's quiet I will always pick mine and any others up.The only time I don't is in a registered competition as it's distracting and pretty much every ground I have shot don't expect you to in competition. Jon.

sp1boy said:

Am I being unreasonable at getting annoyed with shooters who just let their cartridges drop all over the floor.Is the bin not placed there for a reason? /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-confused.gif I shoot with a number of Auto users who manage to pick up their empties and put them in the bucket. What do others think?
Welcome to my world! Despite the proximity of two bins on each stand some ignorant b####rs still chuck them on the ground. Drives me crazy.

100% agreement from me - a hazard of some stands as well, as they can be quite slippy on a wooden floor/platform. Actually that was on thing I noticed about Wylye - two bins on each stand. Good work Ian!

Totally agree, how hard is it to put them in the bin. I've seen one gent catch his empties and then drop them in a little pile next to the bin !

Yes should be picked up,i suppose with an auto it could be a bit off putting for the guy waiting to shoot if some one is scrambling round in front of them.

Even worse are the ignorant,idle buggers who throw their empty cartridge boxes on the ground.At one ground recently I remonstrated with one scruffy git who took half a dozen boxes out of his car boot and threw them on the ground in the car park.Apart from telling me to 'go forth in short,jerky movements' he said 'You don't expect me to take them home do you?' Vic.

i also agree as a newbie into this sport its hard enough to get everything right let alone having to kick emptys out of the way so i can stand in the right place

sp1boy said:

I shoot with a number of Auto users who manage to pick up their empties and put them in the bucket./////////////////////////////////  I can't think of a single sporting shoot where routinely stopping the flow to go and collect ejected shells from an auto would be anything other than a nuisance.  This business of catching shells and binning them is fine and makes good sense but it is a relatively modern phenomenon, we all used to let them fly back in the day and nobody slipped or made a fuss, it took mere minutes to collect 99% of empties at the end of each day. Personally I swipe mine into the bin (frequently complimented on my super/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-cool.gifcoolness) but unless you have two bins present at each stand as per Wylye, it can upset your rhythm if it's on the wrong side. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Here here!! Put them in the bin! And who ever considers that a cartridge slab box full of empty cartridge boxes stuffed under the car in the car park is 'out of sight out of mind' let me tell you the box doesn't just vanish because your car has driven off!! £75 on the spot fine to litter anywhere in the uk EXCEPT for designated shooting grounds obviously!! Unbelievable. Pick em up! Allison (steve said I was free to rant on his behalf!)

I could not agree more with you Allison.I used to organise the White Gold Cup and when the Continental competitors came over they could not believe that we just ejected our cases onto the floor.It is so very easy to make ejecting spent cases into your hand part of your shooting routine, blowing down the barrels and looking to make sure that the barrels are clear before reloading.Crazy as it may sound, but if we docked you a target for throwing cases on the floor at each stand that you dropped your cases,  we would wipe out litter in a month at most. I know it is difficult to do with auto's but honestly, how long does it take to pick up 10 cases with a magnet stick?Finally, trap shooters, spare a thought for the left handers like me, just as we get into our pre-shot routine we are hit in the head by an ejected case or two. /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-surprised.gif

All the registered shoots I've been to since starting back up have been nearly perfect. Haven't seen anyone with an O/U just eject their shells and leave them. It's all good from where I stand! Even the S/A boys have started to pick up! /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif

Steve Lovatt said:

Here here!! Put them in the bin!And who ever considers that a cartridge slab box full of empty cartridge boxes stuffed under the car in the car park is 'out of sight out of mind' let me tell you the box doesn't just vanish because your car has driven off!!£75 on the spot fine to litter anywhere in the uk EXCEPT for designated shooting grounds obviously!! Unbelievable.Pick em up!Allison (steve said I was free to rant on his behalf!)
I can't believe some peoples actions.  I do not think its just an age thing, and what really gets me going is that if you politely speak to these types just to say that you think thier actions are unreasonable, what you get back is just a mouthful of obsenities.  I wonder how they would feel if we all turned up at their hoiuse and dumped our shooting rubbish on their drive…..or at the shooting grounds empty the cartridge buckets into their cars.

Last edited by a moderator:
Out of interest - I guess this is to Steve, Wylye, and Adam - do you guys recycle the cartridges? I saw this 'agricycle' thing at the CLA game fair which looked an interesting option - but I didn't get a sense of what the cost would be to a ground. I'd imagine a busy ground generates tons of spent cartridges each month.Is that something you have considered/are considering?

I would pressume that there would be some money in scrap value of the caps, and I would assume that the plastic could be recycled to make more cartridges.Interesting observations ?

Yes i looked into it a while ago but the cost's of transportation ruled it out as a viable option at the time and the fact that he wanted them in bin bags and wouldn't accept a skip full every couple of months, its a good idea but needs work. We do recycle all of our cardboard, cart boxes clay boxes etc, but then we do have a recycling plant about a mile from the ground so that's easy.

I like to eject mine into the air and header them into the bin/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-cool.gifYep like most it does my head in, I hate having to kick them about to get a sound footing, sometimes I have followed people into the stand and had to picked others up, but making loud noises about mucky f**kers while I do it.

Latest posts

Back