Patterning....

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwpzx9r

OK so the long lay off has had quite an effect on my shooting... negatively  :lol:

So I have never checked the patterns or POI of my gun on the plate and am now thinking it may be a good idea to do so. My thinking is that it may at least give me confidence that my gun is shooting in the right place when I shoot and if I find something I may be able to correct it...  Good idea or bad?

I've done it with 2 different guns. One a cheapo the other a well respected mid range gun. In both cases one barrel shot to where I was pointing and the other didn't, in other words the convergence was off with both. My head couldn't cope with the idea of correcting for 2 different POI so I got rid of both.

All I do now to check this stuff is to shoot straight away clays and straight teals with a fair bit of choke.

I've done it with 2 different guns. One a cheapo the other a well respected mid range gun. In both cases one barrel shot to where I was pointing and the other didn't, in other words the convergence was off with both. My head couldn't cope with the idea of correcting for 2 different POI so I got rid of both.

All I do now to check this stuff is to shoot straight away clays and straight teals with a fair bit of choke.
Aye but what if ye cannae hit thum ? Which is whit ma problem is  :lol:

OK so the long lay off has had quite an effect on my shooting... negatively  :lol:

So I have never checked the patterns or POI of my gun on the plate and am now thinking it may be a good idea to do so. My thinking is that it may at least give me confidence that my gun is shooting in the right place when I shoot and if I find something I may be able to correct it...  Good idea or bad?
check out ben huthwaite  shotgun fitting vid on youtube    covers the lot    !!

I spose banging off some lead at the pattern plate can't do any harm and maybe you'll get an answer. 

Or maybe find someone who can see the shot cloud. 😉

More seriously though, has something changed with your vision rather than your shooting?
Re the eye sight I don't think so I had a full eye check at the hospital last month and the eye surgeon said they were good for an old git  :lol:  I have a very minor prescription for distance and reading.

There is something that has happened though and that is I have a slight shoulder injury. Nothing that is an agony but it is bothering me so that could be something that could be causing concentration problems. Thing is when your normal scores is around 21-23 and the odd better then suddenly your are shooting 15 and 16 your confidence goes right out the window and straws are clutched at  :lol:

Shooting a pattern plate cant do any harm so long as you accept its not a the panacea.  Eyesight can change quote a bit depending on stress, caffeine intake (for me anyway), tiredness, light conditions and the fact that vision isn't a fixed thing (according to my optometrist) .. Could well be preemptive recoil adjustment protect your shoulder too..

For me the plate is all about POI.  And is presuming that your gun mount and form are not changing.  I don't shoot the plate like a rifle.  Usually take 6 shots from about 20 yds - gives a relatively small pattern regardless of choke..  Using both barrels swing in from the left, the right, and from below.  Fresh target each two shots.  The motion doesn't have to be fast just not static.  I almost never have to adjust the stock after making it work this way on the plate.  And I don't get excited about chokes.  A sorta Mod and a sorta Full and that's it.  Covers everything I do.  The exception is the skeet gun and I just plate it closer cos the targets are and the chokes too open for 20yds to tell the tale.

all JMO of course - besta luck

Latest posts

Back