Balance question??

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robden

When talking about the balance of a gun, is it the perceived balance (as in between the hands) or equal weights either side of the hinge pin? 

Over the years, my left arm (right handed shooter) has got weaker than my right - due to a trapped nerve - and am now wondering about adding a bit of weight to the stock. Would this restore the perceived balance?  At the moment, I believe the gun is a tad barrel heavy anyway.

Thanks for any help/advice

Yes it would,is the short answer.Most one armed shooters load the stock with weight. 

PS The muzzle will be a little more whippy so think smooth rotation and expect a dip in scores untill you get used to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Paul. I've noticed that lately, holding the gun mounted for longer than a few seconds, the muzzle is starting to move around.

The quick and easy way to find out is to cut some cartridges through around the plastic wad with a sharp knife . That will give you some handy 1 ounce weights for the stock bolt hole .  

When talking about the balance of a gun, is it the perceived balance (as in between the hands) or equal weights either side of the hinge pin? 

Over the years, my left arm (right handed shooter) has got weaker than my right - due to a trapped nerve - and am now wondering about adding a bit of weight to the stock. Would this restore the perceived balance?  At the moment, I believe the gun is a tad barrel heavy anyway.

Thanks for any help/advice
check out  gun fitting on youtube  big ben fits alfie tibbles gun   bang on ! 

I have a similar problem as I can't raise my left arm above shoulder height. Holding the gun up my left arm starts to quiver after a few seconds. I need the birds in the air clearly, before mounting. In my case weighting the stock caused it to be too heavy to mount and caused problems in my right hand and right side. I found a light gun "wobbled" too much as I could almost throw it around. I settled on a standard weighted gun of around 7 1/2 lbs with 30" barrels which I think has excellent balance. My son however finds it heavy and he's far stronger than me.

Horses for courses, try different things till you find what's right for you. Everybody is slightly different in their own disabilities or abilities.

Latest posts

Back