What does "Marmite Gun" mean?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgnmi

Curious. 

What does the expression marmite gun mean? 

Yes I know what Marmite/vegemite is and find it revolting.

Thanks (in US). Americans and Brits united by a common language barrier. 

There is a very well known advertising campaign for marmite over here that is based on the premise that people either lover it or hate it (and no-one feels ambivalent about it).  So a marmite gun is one that some people will love, some will hate and very few will feel indifferent about.

Cant stand marmite......as for anything K....read between the lines 🤔🤔🤪

We let Americans use English. Just not all of it. 😆
It has been my unfortunate observation that few persons on either side of the pond pretending to be English speakers actually are to anything more than a very limited extent.  Proper spelling and punctuation appear to remain near universal mysteries.  My own abilities though admittedly meager seem almost godly in comparison to what I encounter and to which I am subjected on a daily basis.   :phew:

Last edited by a moderator:
It has been my unfortunate observation that few persons on either side of the pond pretending to be English speakers actually are to anything more than a very limited extent.  Proper spelling and punctuation appear to remain near universal mysteries.  My own abilities though admittedly meager seem almost godly in comparison to what I encounter and to which I am subjected on a daily basis.   :phew:
Bloomin eck................................who wrote THAT for you then   ?      😵

I see that commas don't exist in Ameringlish.  :haha:
hmmmmm , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  they perhaps are not always a necessity

so here are a few

It has' been my, unfortunate, observation that, few, person's, on either side of the pond, pretending to be English speaker's actually are, to anything more than a very, limited extent.  Proper spelling, and punctuation, appear to remain near universal mysteries.  My, own, abilities', though, admittedly meager, seem almost god'ly, in comparison to what I encounter, and to which I am subject'ed, on a daily basis'.

is that better?   :thumbsu:   I added a few apostrophe's' to help out

hmmmmm , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  they perhaps are not always a necessity

so here are a few

It has' been my, unfortunate, observation that, few, person's, on either side of the pond, pretending to be English speaker's actually are, to anything more than a very, limited extent.  Proper spelling, and punctuation, appear to remain near universal mysteries.  My, own, abilities', though, admittedly meager, seem almost god'ly, in comparison to what I encounter, and to which I am subject'ed, on a daily basis'.

is that better?   :thumbsu:   I added a few apostrophe's' to help out
Not a bad riposte there Charlie. Just one thing though: Why do you guys spell MEAGRE wrongly?

Not a bad riposte there Charlie. Just one thing though: Why do you guys spell MEAGRE wrongly?
You can’t even start with this topic. You sort of have to admire that America sifted through our dictionary and just said “no way” to anything that seemed to involve too many letters or not be sufficiently phonetic. Jewelry, color, aluminum. A few letters ditched here and there and they can get on with their lives much faster. Not sure I can forgive their pronunciation of oregano though.  😀

You can’t even start with this topic. You sort of have to admire that America sifted through our dictionary and just said “no way” to anything that seemed to involve too many letters or not be sufficiently phonetic. Jewelry, color, aluminum. A few letters ditched here and there and they can get on with their lives much faster. Not sure I can forgive their pronunciation of oregano though.  😀
All languages are fluid.  No language travels without changing and there is no predictable direction for that change.  Spellings, meanings, new words - anything goes.  I mean, you folks can't even get together on how to pronounce a common vocabulary and speak "your" language within your own country    :lolu:     and look how long you've had to smooth that out.

And as for "meagre" - I can only suppose that the alternate forms simply ignore the origin of the theft

All languages are fluid.  No language travels without changing and there is no predictable direction for that change.  Spellings, meanings, new words - anything goes.  I mean, you folks can't even get together on how to pronounce a common vocabulary and speak "your" language within your own country    :lolu:     and look how long you've had to smooth that out.

And as for "meagre" - I can only suppose that the alternate forms simply ignore the origin of the theft
It’s true about the UK; an old country that developed separate regional speech way before transport or communications existed. I can get in my car, drive for two hours in several different directions and struggle to clearly understand local speech. I mean Cornwall and Liverpool don’t seem to share the same language at all. 

Many years ago I was in a lift (elevator) at a factory in Cumbernauld near Glasgow. I was sharing the lift (elevator) with  2 cleaning ladies who were having a conversation, yet despite travelling up 5 floors, I was unable to understand a single word from either of them.

Latest posts

Back