EJ Churchill Swinton Estate

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perazman

My friends and I thoroughly enjoyed our day at Swinton, North Yorkshire this week. Formerly Warren Gill shooting ground but now under the management of EJ Churchill.

They've clearly invested heavily in their first expansion north with 15 stands currently on offer and a new club house. Few no birds, friendly staff and good quality targets including a few 60 yarders but all hittable.

Sadly it will only be an occasional treat for us as at 35p a clay it's not far off double some other grounds up north.

A discount is available for members but full membership is £250 pa plus £95 admin fee!

Clearly aiming for a higher class of gun than us! An enjoyable day neverless and we'll revisit. 

Has anyone else been yet?

PM.

Announced last week 100 reg on a thursday starting july. I am expecting a widespread reajustment of clay pricing after the corvid just to help these places stay in business.

Unfortunately it's priced beyond the normal club shooter in the North and to make the membership fee back you'd need to be shooting around 75 clays every week for the year. 

We've been crying out for grounds in the North to put on registered events as there's so few, just can't get my head around Thursday's. I can't take the time off work so will have to miss out. It will be interesting to see if after the first few comps if they continue to get the entries.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yorkshire folk can't/won't pay them prices. Park Lodge is 32p a clay and has "no -no birds". I find that expensive but its a  good day out occasionally. 

For someone who like me is retired and fires a slab a week approximately plus pigeons it's just too much.

North Yorkshire is one of the richest places in the country , and has some of the best game shooting in the country as well , that’s probably the customer base they are looking at  . It’s nice to see that someone is willing to invest in a top end facility .  I’ll certainly be having a look as I have necessity to travel up that way on a pretty regular basis . I can remember shooting the Times Challenge at Royal Berkshire years back and thinking this place should be the standard that all shooting aspires to . There was nothing in the North that came close . Thankfully that’s changed , and another quality ground is a welcome addition. 

I paid 43p a clay last week, it was nice but I cannot see why that expensive but nobody is forced to pay those prices

I'd assume a mid week reg shoot up here will be occasional squads going around with a caddie.

When we arrived the car park was full of Range Rovers, Jaguars etc. As MartynB said, it's a very affluent area.

The north of england is desperate for a decent regular weekend 100 reg sporting shoot. Bywell (a trap ground) host a few. Spennymoor,Thimbleby,Kelbrook,Coniston and Westlands (sporting grounds) have none. 

DTL is so prevalent up here because there's nothing else to shoot! Easier money for the grounds. 4 traps and scorers versus 20+ traps and 10+ scorers.

We're straw bale connoisseurs upt'north!

PM.

Grim everywhere today!  I have gained a patio umbrella though.. fairly impressive as neighbour is 100M away!
I 'Lost' one yesterday. #Someone# left the sodding thing out and unsecured. North Wales wind turned it to scrap aluminium. The better part of 800 competition priced clays lost! ( It was a swanky umbrella! ) 

I'd assume a mid week reg shoot up here will be occasional squads going around with a caddie.

When we arrived the car park was full of Range Rovers, Jaguars etc. As MartynB said, it's a very affluent area.

The north of england is desperate for a decent regular weekend 100 reg sporting shoot. Bywell (a trap ground) host a few. Spennymoor,Thimbleby,Kelbrook,Coniston and Westlands (sporting grounds) have none. 

DTL is so prevalent up here because there's nothing else to shoot! Easier money for the grounds. 4 traps and scorers versus 20+ traps and 10+ scorers.

We're straw bale connoisseurs upt'north!

PM.
Agree with that but it all boils down to demand I`d say.Not enough people will pay the southern level of fees  up here ,thus running Reg Sporting isn`t a viable option for grounds. If there was money to be made they`d be doing it!!! As for Swinton it`ll be a good addition facility wise but will be a very occasional visit for most in the same vein as Park Lodge.

Back