A fable of firsts

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lloyd

Lots of firsts for me today.

First time back shooting since lockdown

First time shooting at E J Churchill

First time shooting through 32" barrels. I didn't really notice the extra length to be honest. I do want to go back and try 32" at close range window shots, because I know these aren't much of an issue with the 30" barrels on my F16 for me.

First time shooting a Blaser F3. Felt very similar to My F16 really, but despite LoP being about 1/2" too long, I got along with it just fine. The cast was a better fit for me than my F16.

First time shooting 28 gram. Didn't feel any difference, though the F3 is about a half pound heavier than the F16, not that I noticed that either.

First time shooting No:8 shot. More pellets in the air didn't break any more clays though.

All in all a good experience. 

Rupert in the gunroom at EJC tried really hard to sort out a short lefty for me to use, but in the end, I just had to go with what they had. All's well that ends well.

Adam was my coach for the hour. I talked through with him my nemesis target, the chondelle. He had me shooting a L-R about 35-40 yards out. I decided to carry on where I left of at Kelbrook just before lockdown and shoot it "maintained". This time however, I added the extra component of being gun down. I find it generally helps me if I have less time on a bird. I missed the first and the dusted the next five. Adam informed me that all the breaks were good but that I was in fact shooting "swing through"

To finish the session off, Adam took me to shoot a R-L battue overlooking the skeet field, the trap just over the embankment about 45 yards out. I hit it first time... and that was also the only time. Another 15 shells and I could not find it. I was ll over the place and couldn't make sense of it. Adam said I couldn't have hit the first one any better, that my footwork needed some working on, but then I've had very conflicting advice on this. I do know I need to learn how to read the target better and get my thinking done before shooting not WHILST shooting... A big issue for me that is.

Latest posts

Back