Grease or oil on ejectors

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeordieTrapper

What is the opinion on lubricating ejectors, Beretta say oil, gunsmith says grease, engineers seem to say oil springs but grease sliding pieces.

If you do oil them I would go steady with it, there is a hole at the bottom so any excess will run out and go everywhere if your not carefull, grease stays put at least. I put a little bit of tetra grease on mine and never had a problem.

my routine is, take them out, clean them, put them back in, few drops of Hoppe's oil, then almost wipe it off again with clean cloth. as long as the moving/touching surfaces have oil it will be fine. Also depends on how often you use and clean it. I too have heard the same expression. think either will work. pros and cons for both. we put oil in our engines and they have a lot of moving, sliding parts etc. 

Oil.

The barrel flats and Ejectors are exposed to dust. Burn powder etc and I was told  not a good place to use Grease. I Only take them out if obviously full of muck or if obvioulsy got water behind them which can't be removed it with a Rag, toothbrush or ear bud / Qtiptip. 

I don't specifically oil them as enough oil gets into the sliders as I spray a small amount on the Barrrel flats and  wipe off any excess with an oily rag. 

Grease works best in terms of how the gun closes and opens, but oil is fine. Apply either sparingly and clean it off and replace after every shoot, especially grease which becomes a dirty lapping paste if left. 

My preference is for oil on the ejectors on the grounds that it is free running, grease has a higher viscosity and might just impede the ejectors slightly. Also as Will says grease will hold grit particles.

These are just personal, nit picky views, both will do the job and if it works for you use either.

Grease works best in terms of how the gun closes and opens, but oil is fine. Apply either sparingly and clean it off and replace after every shoot, especially grease which becomes a dirty lapping paste if left. 
I use oil on ejectors too, but keep in mind that with lubricants in low mechanical stress environments like shotguns, less is more.

Latest posts

Back