Blaser F3 Vantage vs Perazzi HPX DSR

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cosmicblue

So shot the F3 Vantage today for the 1st time, new to me, but is a little used 2015 gun (same year as the Perazzi).  The F3 has a conventional Sporter stock with a fixed comb and fits me perfectly

Both guns are fixed raised rib designs, on the HPX one 'sees' the top of the rib in peripheral vision and as long as the target is fully visible then it's most likely toasted.  The F3 Vantage mounts like a conventional shotgun, i.e. no visible rib in your peripheral vision but removes the requirement to 'cover' the target for some presentations as again here there is enhanced target visibility.  Two different approaches in design to achieve a similar result. 

The F3 is lovely to shoot, balanced on the trunnions pins, the stock balancer is set and no additional barrel weights are installed, the gun feels alive, much like the Perazzi, and easy to accelerate for fast crossers and change of direction for SIM pairs,  Very impressed and I can see now why the F3 has such a loyal following.

So shot the F3 Vantage today for the 1st time, new to me, but is a little used 2015 gun (same year as the Perazzi).  The F3 has a conventional Sporter stock with a fixed comb and fits me perfectly

Both guns are fixed raised rib designs, on the HPX one 'sees' the top of the rib in peripheral vision and as long as the target is fully visible then it's most likely toasted.  The F3 Vantage mounts like a conventional shotgun, i.e. no visible rib in your peripheral vision but removes the requirement to 'cover' the target for some presentations as again here there is enhanced target visibility.  Two different approaches in design to achieve a similar result. 

The F3 is lovely to shoot, balanced on the trunnions pins, the stock balancer is set and no additional barrel weights are installed, the gun feels alive, much like the Perazzi, and easy to accelerate for fast crossers and change of direction for SIM pairs,  Very impressed and I can see now why the F3 has such a loyal following.

Got myself booked in at EJC Thursday afternoon to try the F3 😁

Sounds like we have similar tastes. I do like to see the target as much as possible and I do a like a lighter, more lively  gun.

What struck me about the F16 was its low profile and how nimble it is.

I don’t think a high rib would work for me though, lest I added a ridiculous amount to the comb.

Trying other guns since has left me wanting to find those same attributes.

I tried a hefty Krieghoff once. Fantastic piece of engineering, but we just didn’t get along.

Sounds like we have similar tastes. I do like to see the target as much as possible and I do a like a lighter, more lively  gun.

I don’t think a high rib would work for me though, lest I added a ridiculous amount to the comb.

I tried a hefty Krieghoff once. Fantastic piece of engineering, but we just didn’t get along.
You may get a shoulder bruise as the standard F3 recoil pad is terrible IMO. It’s a very soft gel with a hard heel section, which hits you after the gel has compressed with recoil. I replaced it with a recoil systems green pad very promptly.

Shooting slightly higher rib guns requires a little adjustment to learned sight-pictures , the Vantage is available with an adjustable Monte Carlo stock so all may not be lost Lloyd.  Once the penny drops in the grey cells over target visibility it sometimes feels akin to almost cheating.  

You may get a shoulder bruise as the standard F3 recoil pad is terrible IMO. It’s a very soft gel with a hard heel section, which hits you after the gel has compressed with recoil. I replaced it with a recoil systems green pad very promptly.
I noticed whilst cleaning the gun today (beautifully made aren't they?) that gel pad is really squishy - currently working through a batch of Fiocchi 26g/8s which I find a tad sharp and it felt OK'ish  I'll keep the green pad suggestion in mind.  

I tried a Blaser F3 at a Coley open day a couple of years ago. I really liked it.

They set me up a Vantage stock with standard sporting barrels -  to give me a high comb and a flat rib.

Full raised ribs don't really work for me as they tend to make the gun too heavy for my taste.

They set me up a Vantage stock with standard sporting barrels -  to give me a high comb and a flat rib.

Full raised ribs don't really work for me as they tend to make the gun too heavy for my taste.
That would probably suit me very well with 30” tubes

Latest posts

Back