Browning 725 v 525 Sporter

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeordieTrapper

Hi, my son wants to buy a clay gun. He has tried several and is down to Browning 525 or 725. Some say the 525 is better built, what are members experiences and views pleas

Look on YouTube for tgs outdoors ( gun shop botly) they do a comparison with the actions and how they work, I have heard of early 725's having problems changing to the second barrel, I bought a 525 as I had some invector plus chokes and the 725 uses invector ds chokes 

Hi, my son wants to buy a clay gun. He has tried several and is down to Browning 525 or 725. Some say the 525 is better built, what are members experiences and views pleas
ive had both ,  both great guns  but I'm currently shooting my 525 sl   ( sporter laminate )  the 725 is a low profile action and mechanical triggers  the ds chokes are superb , but i prefer the 525  bigger action and my laminate stock is easy to care for and weighs in at 8lb 4ozs   nice weight for a sporter   the midas chokes are good  , no issues with recoil ,  but its what feels best for you , try out both  !   great reviews by lloyd pattison on youtube .   

The actions are pretty well the same as is the build quality. They shaved a sliver of metal from the action body and messed with the triggers to emulate mechanical ones but not much else other than the choke system. Many people say the 725 trigger pulls are much better, but on the 3 or 4 I've tried they seemed exactly the same. The early 725 triggers did have some issues and they were revised a few years back. No such issues with the 525, but one thing to think about is that the sporter has changed a bit during it's life, particularly with barrel weight. Newer ones have lighter barrels more in keeping with the other makes of mid range gun.

The standard 725 is perhaps more "Italian" in feel but I'd say it's entirely down to which one your son prefers as both are reliable and durable.

Agree with Westley. I too have come across owners of early ones sending them back because of "second barrel" issues - they say they have mechanical triggers but that is not entirely correct. I have not come across anybody with any issues now. The build quality is irrelevant really (they are both made in japan etc) and balance and feel should be the main criterion - lighter barrels on the 725 and palm swells etc.

I have both..... A B525 Sporter 30" MC which I love and have had for about 6 years and used for game and clay all round. But I wanted a more dedicated clay gun and didn't want to pay for a custom stock and also wanted 32" barrels so I went and got a Pro-Sport and am very happy with it. I have only shot it a hand full of times so far and hope to be out with it again tomorrow. The Pro-Sport a very different gun being noticeably longer and heavier, but that`s what I wanted.

I also had a 20b B525 I bought new which I then chopped in for my Pro-Sport. Both my 12 & 20 B525`s had problems not shifting after first shot for the second shot and just left me with a solid trigger, thankfully this was quickly put right for me when sent off and hasn't missed a beat since. The Pro-sport hasn't missed a beat, my only criticism of it though is the recoil pad as its mostly rubber but has like a hard plastic part on the top which was split when I got it. I think some time in the near future I will source a different pad as that`s going to annoy me as the spare pad also now has a crack in it.  

I would just go for which ever fits best. in my eyes they are equal. 

ATB

Matt

I purhased a second hand 725 Prosport 30'' and am very pleased with it. But I think the stock is different to the early 725's

If it was my money I would have a new 525 sporter with adjustable comb, trigger etc. . All for £1600. Enjoy for ever. It will still be going strong when you are not. Hell of a gun for the money. Makes a mockery of both cheap ATA etc and the expensive guerinis trying to be more than what they actually are. 

Crack on. Enjoy. 

Jasper. 

I have just sold a 725 after 4 years use without any problems. Sorry, 1 problem was bottom barrel misfiring, but having stripped out the UNMARKED firing pin, then cleaned away the black powder deposits, oiled the spring and pin and then re-assembled it, it functioned without fault. I have had a new 525 XS Pro for 4 days, shot it once and I am very pleased. (I have locked away all the ornaments that came with it, just in case I became tempted to 'have a fiddle'). I suggest that you try BOTH and then make up your own mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
ive had both ,  both great guns  but I'm currently shooting my 525 sl   ( sporter laminate )  the 725 is a low profile action and mechanical triggers  the ds chokes are superb , but i prefer the 525  bigger action and my laminate stock is easy to care for and weighs in at 8lb 4ozs   nice weight for a sporter   the midas chokes are good  , no issues with recoil ,  but its what feels best for you , try out both  !   great reviews by lloyd pattison on youtube .   
I thought you had a 'Roy Rogers' gun.......................................struggling with Trigger   !       🤔

As has been said, try them, the replies you get are those persons opinion to them of that gun. When I first started I thought the 525 laminate was for me, but when handling it it just felt to light and the forend to slim 'for me'. Now those first impressions made me think all Brownings would be the same, wrong. Just on the off chance I tried a 725 Pro sport after selling my Beretta 686 and as soon as I picked it up I thought this seems to fit just perfect to me straight out of the box so to speak.I almost didn't try it as I was thinking Browning wont suit me because of the first impressions I had with the 525

As has been said, try them, the replies you get are those persons opinion to them of that gun. When I first started I thought the 525 laminate was for me, but when handling it it just felt to light and the forend to slim 'for me'. Now those first impressions made me think all Brownings would be the same, wrong. Just on the off chance I tried a 725 Pro sport after selling my Beretta 686 and as soon as I picked it up I thought this seems to fit just perfect to me straight out of the box so to speak.I almost didn't try it as I was thinking Browning wont suit me because of the first impressions I had with the 525
I learned MANY years ago that you can take 4 or 5 different Browning/Miroku guns out of their boxes and each one can feel totally different. 2 years ago I went with a newcomer to the sport to buy his first gun, a Miroku MK38. He was a left hooker. We tried around 6 different new guns but the 1 that fitted him best of all,  was a right hander. Beretta guns are machined to such fine tolerances, that I do not think they vary much from gun to gun. Browning/Miroku guns can vary vastly. Which is why you should really TRY the gun of your choice. 

Latest posts

Back