advice needed

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GavB

Well after a little lay off hoping to restore my interest. My recent results have barely reached the 50% mark. These scores are not at registered shoots but local strawbalers. I presume I am either not looking hard enough at the clay and or looking at the barrels. Either way I am loosing interest rapidly and just seem to be going through the motions. Although I am enjoying the crack on the way round it does seem like I am throwing money down the drain.Any advice on increasing my concentration and my scores or should i listen to my gut instincts at put the gun away or just sell it

Or the third option... get out, stop trying so hard and enjoy some shooting - ignoring the scores? I've had my two best weeks of scores so far in the last two weeks - both with crowds of people, and less beating myself up for missing a pair or screwing up a stand.Come out with us to Owls Lodge next week - we'll all have a laugh and the pressure will be off...

I would go back to basics and get your gun fit checked. If that is OK try shooting some easy targets to re build your confidence and maybe take a lesson from a good instructor to put you on the right path again.

Number one is gunfit. Number two is a good coach! Number three, is solid hard focus ONLY on the target! When playing soccer does one look at the foot or the ball, cricket, the bat or the ball, tennis the racket or the ball? Got it? LOOK at the target! The rest is automatic! /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-surprised.gif"If you think, you stink!" Instictive shooting is best! The Lone Canadian,Henry/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif

thanks guys Saturday is no go as im hopefully beating that day. Ive had a fair share of lessons to be honest each one telling me something different, which sometimes has  helped other times it has just set me back. Gunmount and focus is more than likely the key, if I look back at my last shoot I know Im looking at the clay but am I REALLY looking at the clay, my guess is probably not.Im not one to watch my scores and never count as Im going round, but you know if you are shooting well or not as the round progresses.

Hard focus as we call it is accentual for consistancy.Here's a little tip to help you hard focus.When your sure you have the correct line of the target and your muzzles are just under that flight line on your hold point, look back at your pick-up point which will be the place that you can first focus on the target. Then focus on something in the distance at your pick-up point. Don't try to focus on the fresh air in the clay area to see it. Here's why:-In order to focus out to a clay the eye muscles have to make two movements but if you focus on something in the distance, a tree, post, cloud, flower anything really, but it has to be on the flight path of the clay as it only takes one eye muscle movement to come back to the clay from a distance, resulting in a faster focus onto the clay as the eye will pick up the thing moving fastest in its vision.Once your on it, try to read the makers name on the clay……no really. Most clays have the makers name on them, focus so hard on the clay that you can read the name. I call it…..CCI the clay. As most clays are made by CCI.Once locked on, DO NOT look at the gun or anything other than the clay. This will make you swing the gun at the correct speed and will help with NOT stopping the gun…..as long as the gun fits reasonably well.It does take a little practice but so did everything else you''ve learned so far. But keep it to yourself as not a lot of shooters know that. /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gifyou actually told me that in person  and I had completely forgotten that tip

Not "staring out" the target is my no.1 reason for misses. I just can't seem to shake the habit. Bloody annoying

Tell your self that you will pay the wife/girl friend 50p every time you look at the gun and take your eyes off the target.  /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif.And then actually do it. Pay up. You will soon learn not to do it I assure you, but be honest about it./wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif

great tip Rob just told the wife, shes going to book the hairdressers for monday/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif

Rob,Not such a good tip.The Wife's just bought a flat./wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif

/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gifPeople always laugh when I tell them that but it actually works well after about the third shoot....I wonder why ?  /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gifStick to it…it works. /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif 

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back