Robden

Pilla lenses?

Robden

I'm using a pair of Pilla Panther glasses and would like to change the lenses to a Vermilion colour. Can you tell me please what Pilla's designated number is, for this colour?

Even better if you're selling some:)

westley
7 hours ago, Robden said:

I'm using a pair of Pilla Panther glasses and would like to change the lenses to a Vermilion colour. Can you tell me please what Pilla's designated number is, for this colour?

Even better if you're selling some:)

Does the 'number' not refer to the percentage of light the lens allows through  ?     I have just sold a reddish sort of coloured lens which was numbered 65 HD. I understood it was a 65% light intake and the HD was High Definition. I have recently bought a '44N' which is purple coloured and again I believe that means it allows 44% light in and the N is for Neutraliser to help kill the background, thus highlighting the clay. Ed Lyons off here is your man. He is extremely helpful when it comes to specs. Have a look on You Tube too, search Pilla shooting glasses.

Robden
9 hours ago, westley said:

Does the 'number' not refer to the percentage of light the lens allows through  ?     I have just sold a reddish sort of coloured lens which was numbered 65 HD. I understood it was a 65% light intake and the HD was High Definition. I have recently bought a '44N' which is purple coloured and again I believe that means it allows 44% light in and the N is for Neutraliser to help kill the background, thus highlighting the clay. Ed Lyons off here is your man. He is extremely helpful when it comes to specs. Have a look on You Tube too, search Pilla shooting glasses.

Ok, thanks for that. I think those lenses would have been ideal. I thought the numbers denoted the colour, as I've only seen adds for glasses with the frame and a bunch of numbers for the lenses, never colours by name.

westley

I sold them because I was not using them, my 75 years old eyes prefer the brownish hues, mainly 75, 40 and 25 if it is really bright. I also have a 44N, which is purple. I do not use that lens at the local ground because all targets against the sky, however I used it last Wednesday shooting into a quarry where all targets below me and mixed orange and green, it did kill the green of the grass background and highlighted the clay colour.  Do have a look on You Tube, the Pilla CEO explains things far better than me. There are a sequence of short films explaining all about the Pilla lens systems and letters used.

• Like 1

Freddypip

We all perceive colour differently so its not an easy call.

I have mixed views of Pilla overall however I have been impressed with the new 52 CHC lense (on a Panther X6/X2 frame) - https://pillasport.com/blogs/new-products/new-52chc-lens-filtration.

It is like the old 40 Max orange lenses, which I find (in shade) very similar to Pilla's 54HC (Vigilante Frame) but with a bit more red.

I would also say I have some Pilla 560s which come with a 50CV and 35CV lenses with CV = Contrast Vermilion. Those lenses are also very similar to the old 40 Max and 54HC (or for that matter the Oakley TR45 lense). In practice I use the 40MAX for light days and the 54HC for dark days.

So I would look at the HC range but particularly the CHC.

Hope that helps & you can make your own mind up about the money !!!.

Robden

I must have about 18 pairs of glasses of various colours, all cheap-ish (well compared to Pilla anyway). Whatever brand/make, it's always the vermillion that gets worn the most. I think it's something to do with having a red, green deficiency (colour blindness). 

With the Pillas, I've been using the orange 40max which are okay but I feel a vermillion would be better. But at £160+ a pop, I would like to be reasonably sure that they will do the job, before committing myself to buy.  Now if I could find a lense like the one @westley sold for 50 quid, I could then try them for a week or two before deciding.

Charliedog
2 hours ago, Robden said:

I must have about 18 pairs of glasses of various colours, all cheap-ish (well compared to Pilla anyway). Whatever brand/make, it's always the vermillion that gets worn the most. I think it's something to do with having a red, green deficiency (colour blindness). 

With the Pillas, I've been using the orange 40max which are okay but I feel a vermillion would be better. But at £160+ a pop, I would like to be reasonably sure that they will do the job, before committing myself to buy.  Now if I could find a lense like the one @westley sold for 50 quid, I could then try them for a week or two before deciding.

I believe there are a couple of outlets that will let you try before you buy

Freddypip
Posted (edited)

If you have (personal) red/green colour perception issue then it will be beyond us to recommend a lens type. Have a chat with an optician or speak to Ed Lyons. I too have more glasses than I need and have probably spent as much as a visit to Ed, and the right set in the first place !!.

A visit to a Pilla dealer may help. Try on what they have a noting both what you like and (just as important) what you don’t – too much yellow, orange, brown whatever. Also take note of the light transmission. You can then refer to the Pilla site for comparisons with the available options - https://pillasport.com/collections/shooting - I do wonder if the 28CR and 48RHC are more suited to you if you know you need more red/vermillion. You are unlikely to find the “odd” lenses on eBay or available second hand.

The one thing I did recently was take 5 or 6 lenses with me on a couple of occasions and try them in the same conditions. It was a hassle but it did make me realise that in low light I benefit from a more yellow/orange lens (up to 45% & I use the 54HC or 52CHC) and in bright light something more orange/red (in fact I can manage with 55% but use the 40MAX). You can use your 40MAX as a base reference lens. This is all however personal to me.

Edited by Freddypip

Big G

If you live anywhere near Mid Wales it’s worth going there as they have a good range of Pilla lenses & you can check / test them looking at targets on the various layouts.  Decent prices as well, have a look at their website.

westley

I thought mid Wales Shooting School was now going to be a caravan site  ???

ColinD

Planning approval submitted I think,not sure if it's closed though

Robden
11 hours ago, westley said:

I thought mid Wales Shooting School was now going to be a caravan site  ???

I believe work has already started.

19 hours ago, Freddypip said:

If you have (personal) red/green colour perception issue then it will be beyond us to recommend a lens type. Have a chat with an optician or speak to Ed Lyons. I too have more glasses than I need and have probably spent as much as a visit to Ed, and the right set in the first place !!.

A visit to a Pilla dealer may help. Try on what they have a noting both what you like and (just as important) what you don’t – too much yellow, orange, brown whatever. Also take note of the light transmission. You can then refer to the Pilla site for comparisons with the available options - https://pillasport.com/collections/shooting - I do wonder if the 28CR and 48RHC are more suited to you if you know you need more red/vermillion. You are unlikely to find the “odd” lenses on eBay or available second hand.

The one thing I did recently was take 5 or 6 lenses with me on a couple of occasions and try them in the same conditions. It was a hassle but it did make me realise that in low light I benefit from a more yellow/orange lens (up to 45% & I use the 54HC or 52CHC) and in bright light something more orange/red (in fact I can manage with 55% but use the 40MAX). You can use your 40MAX as a base reference lens. This is all however personal to me.

I do notice a big difference with red/vermillion lenses. I prefer the wrap around type glasses, but with the cheaper glasses there tends to be quite a bit of distortion around the curved areas.

Not enough to make me miss (I don't need any help for that) but I do find it annoying. It's not a problem, not there, with the Pillas though.

Thanks all for your opinions, help and advice.