Best recoil pad?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeordieTrapper

What are members experiences with recoil pads for a Browning, what is best way to trim edges to wood? Thanks for any advice

What are members experiences with recoil pads for a Browning, what is best way to trim edges to wood? Thanks for any advice
I’ve never done it myself, but from what I’ve seen, a belt linisher is normally used.

I suspect you’d need a fairly course grit and will need to work with a light touch to prevent overheating the pad

Wrap the stock in electrical insulation tape to protect the wood, and then use a file, belt sander or dremmel to work it down. As you get down to finer finishing that is less aggressive, remove some of the layers of tape.

Screw the pad to the stock then scribe around the pad.Remove and then (if you have one) use a bench belt and disc sander to sand down to almost the line, then change the sandpaper to a fine grit and remove the rest to the line, checking the fit regularly. Depending what the pad backing is made of, if it's vulcanite you can polish the fine scratches out with automotive cutting compound.Depends on how fussy your are about the appreance

Edit, if it's vulcanite, do the sanding outside it's a dirty job 😀

Last edited by a moderator:
Back