Right Then...

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ExSCA

ShootClay Admin
Yesterday I got some feedback, some of it on the forum and some of it in my private email (shame on you for that abuse - but anyway) - that I'm not running the forum correctly. Apparently we are over-moderated and there is no banter - last nights exchange seems to prove that is not the case - but clearly we're not making everyone happy.So - I'm asking the community what they want - it's a forum after all, which is about the people rather than the site.If you want me to moderate 'tough', banning people, closing threads and controlling the content - then let me know.Otherwise I'm going to continue as I am - trying not to let things get aggressive, but letting debates happen. One thing is for sure - I'm not going to take the personal abuse sent to me on email last night.  The forum is NOT THAT precious to me, I love it being here - but I'm not going to be abused for it.  As I keep saying, it is only the internet after all.So - let's hear your feedback - APART from the technical issues - what can I do to keep the forum successful, or what should I change now to ensure we grow.

you doing a great job keep it as it is.cant see what you have done to get abuse from anyone ,debate is always good but if people have to get nasty then a line has to be drawn.

Keep it as is mate. Anyone who feels the need to chuck abuse over email you can live without- id ban them And let everyone else carry on as is if it were me. Wise move to shut the thread down if it gets near last nights little spat!! Does no good to anyone.

Keep doing what you're doing Matt. Whatever happens do not let the site descend to the levels of the 'other place'.

Absolutely Matt. Keep standards where they need to be; which is what 99% of us want. I actually hate the word `fluffy rabbits`.  It can become an excuse-word for insults.. Cheers,CSC3 

Moderate tough is my view, too many people use forums for willy waving and personal abuse. This forum is about clay shooting, a sport we all love, and it's purpose is to inform and entertain. People talk about the otters & fluffy rabbits, when what they really mean is that they can throw insults around with impunity. I lurked in the other place for a while, and never dared raise my head above the parapet. This forum has got off to a great start, with a range of shooters from the very experienced to the complete novice. I hope it stays that way, encouraging all to share in our passion for the sport, even if we aren't all AAA class. Great job Matt

last nights spat escalated very quickly really, and sadly was a stark reminder of claysportings dark days. as glen said game shooting is an emotive subject and people have very contrasting opinions, i will never agree with the opinions of nic and gp on the high pheasant thread, but likewise they will never agree with me, so lets just leave it. i respect there outlook on shooting, but i just hope they respect mine as well, and dont regard me as an "unsporting shot" as was mentioned on the thread last night. i also see alot of what goes on on facebook filtering onto here and im not so sure that is a good thing, last night "debate" suddenly became a slanging match because of a few comments on facebook. the personal stuff is just childish and petty, and i think you should stamp it out right away matt, 'the other place' was villified for it, so why should you let it start here. nip it in the bud now!

Yeah I agree with whats been said above, the forum is growin daily,weekly,monthly and apart from a couple of people dissin others the forum is great, the other place had it's own feel but we're not there anymore and we're all doin our best for shootclay to make the shootin forum world a better palce, If anyone doesn't like it here or like what others have to say (remember everyone's got an opinion) they can either not make any comments or simply leave. I for one like it here and I'm sure if there are any changes that need to be made Matt will take suggestions on board . Nigel

Matt , just keep on doing what you are doing here, its a great forum!... your doing a fantastic job here and on the main site fella !! Rob

I think Matt has done everything correctly it had to be closed down and I agree with what Micky said above. I am afraid one person on here has no respect for anyone, I respected Micky's view and I never made it personal even though I have a different one I tried to comment and give a proffesional response all the way through that thread. I suggest people in future do not directly name others as being childish etc that to me just triggers other things.I can give as good as what is thrown at me and one particular person has to always reference me which becomes annoying and can be considered as damaging my image! /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gifI like to hear about Nige's trips out etc so I like the game thread section.I just think it has to be closely watched and if it ever gets personal it should be blocked.Hopefully we can all learn by this and move on.I guess it stems from 'the other place' when i said i shot a 90 yard pigeon come on guys get over it who actually gives a monkey there are more important things in life. Glen. Glen.

Keep going as you are Matt, and if you get any more abuse just 'Name and Shame' them by putting their name and email address on here so we can return the favour /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif

No way should you have to take any personal  abuse,you weren't even involved in the debate matt, and as adamantine said above if it happens again name and shame and then ban.I think carry on as you are,you did issue a warning last night before closing the thread,job done! As to banning people in general i don't think there's any need for that,providing it dosn't get out of hand,people have different opinions and it's good to have a debate.

Matt,I think you have done a great job, I don't think you have over moderated at all.  You do warn all involved to play nicely........Almost all forums are moderated and this is a good thing as it is easy to be a keyboard warrior and type things that would never be said face to face. We all like a laugh and a joke but personnel abuse should never be allowed.Everybody should always respect others opinions even if you do not agree with them, we are all entitled to have one after all... Andy

Funny how the main culprit has not said anything I guess some need time to reflect on their silly actions!

Last edited by a moderator:
At the risk of makin myself a target I don't really think he's got anything to apologise for! There was no one who came out of it any better than everyone, best that it's all done and dusted now we can move on!

Yes as Glenn,and Ed have pointed out,it,s all done and dusted so move on and hopefully learn from it,and let me be the first to apoligise if i upset anyone as i certainly didn't intend to!

Hi Guys.Just got in so late on this thread. Thanks to those who alerted me to it. Like Glen said And I feel that the 'culprit' for want of a better word.... has shown enough form of late.Matt knows what to do with his site to keep it safe. Personally i would ban anyone who sends you abusive private emails. You do not need to put up with that.From the very start when I got involved with this site my main concern was to keep Matt away from any politics and to take care that any forum he was planning did not damage the main site. That 'fresh approach' of a new shot is the only reason that I have spent a lot of time connecting people to here and also known shooters to him in order to do interviews for the main site. I would hate that anyone damages that work as I hate wasting my time!

Last edited:
Matt,you have my vote for keeping this forum controlled the way you are doing it now. The keyboard warriors that try to infest any forum will soon learn that there is no place for them here.This forum is already becoming a source of information,experience and advice with some mild mannered repartee.It has enormous potential.The US forum,Shotgunworld,is possibly the largest shooting forum in the world and has virtually no controversial input.Stay with it,Matt. Vic. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back