Advice on screw thread grease

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeordieTrapper

Hi, I have removed the ejectors on my Browning for the first time to clean. One ejector retaining screw was very tight, what advice can members offer on a thread lubricant to ensure screw will not seize up In the future but also not work loose? Also how often (time or number of cartridges) do members remove the ejectors? Thanks for any advice

So for me I load the ejector springs with light grease and clean them maybe a couple times a year when shooting a lot.  But nothing I have is held in with screws so actually I could do it every time I shoot and not really suffer.  On the screw thread stuff I'd use a teflon loaded lube of some kind or, what is sold here as NeverSeize, a MoS2 lube for anything.

JMO of course

Last edited by a moderator:
I have shot browning/Miroku guns all or most of my shooting life (60 + years). I have never had the need to remove the ejectors on any of them. I simply use an old toothbrush, pipe cleaners and cotton wool buds to clean the ejectors in situ. I do use the Lucas red gun oil on them and find that it stays where it is put, but I only use the bare minimum of oil. Constant removal of the screws that hold the ejectors in eventually leads to them being damaged or worn. IF they ever need to come out, I will leave it to a Gunsmith to deal with, BUT like the alleged troublesome firing pins, I have NEVER had the need to repair any of them.

To be honest, I would sooner have a non-ejector on a clay gun anyway. I place my right hand over the breech as I open the gun and then place the fired cases into the bin.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had shot Berettas for many years and took out the ejectors every now and again to clean them and they certainly needed it. When I switched to Miroku I went to to take them out after a few months and several thousand shells and found one screw was stuck. Rather than possibly breaking it by use of force, I just removed the free one and when I found out how clean it was, I never bothered again. 7 years on and never had a problem. Gun serviced twice in that time.

If your gun was serviced twice in that time I would expect the gunsmith has removed and cleaned them 😉

Was there any such thing as LocTite on the screw? That or similar would be my answer to a "screw not working loose" but depending on the type applied, it can be a pain if you need to take the screw out again. If it was just screwed in tightly, I'd consider cleaning it, applying a really tiny dab of lubricant and putting it back in less tight. Then shoot for a day and see if it loosened.

In order to prevent seizing or galling, I use a small amount of white titanium grease (emphasis on small) for the big stuff or a more viscous oil for tiny stuff. I'd be hesitant to put on/in anything I couldn't remove later.  

I'll check out the "NeverSeize" - might be worth it if does what it says on the tin. 

It's been my experience that ejector springs are usually very poorly lubed even in new guns.  And I've tossed a few that were even rusted.  I replace them in every gun I have with S&W's and load them with grease.  JMO of course

It's been my experience that ejector springs are usually very poorly lubed even in new guns.  And I've tossed a few that were even rusted.  I replace them in every gun I have with S&W's and load them with grease.  JMO of course
Perazzi - Not quite the same layout as a Browning/Miroku eh Charlie. 

Best as I can tell ejectors all do the same thing and the springs do not object to grease.  That's the only important part  innit?
Errr no - Having both makes, the ONLY ones that get any grease are my perazzis - internal captivated springs!!!!

OK - brain fart time

S&W (https://www.swsupply.com/) does have Perazzi factory springs and a pile of great Perazzi tutorials but the the springs I really meant are

https://www.jnpgunsprings.com/index.php

sorry for the stoopid slip

Thanks for the link- I'll pick up a set of spares once they decide to start shipping overseas again. 

Latest posts

Back