Beretta firing pin damage

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeordieTrapper

I inadvertently pulled the trigger on my Beretta Silver Pigeon without a cartridge in the breech. How can I tell if I have damaged the firing pin? Thanks for any advice

I concur. If you are really in doubt, put in an actual cartridge and pull the trigger. If it goes bang your firing pin is still in good nick. 

Just to eradicate further doubt (if step 1 above doesn't reassure you) see the diagram linked below - part 41 is the firing pin. It's conical for a reason. 

https://www.brownells.co.uk/Schematics/Beretta/Shotguns/Beretta-686-Silver-Pigeon-Competition-Schematic#41 
All I would add is PLEASE GO OUTSIDE FIRST, though   ! 

Never had a problem with firing pins on either my Silver Pigeon or by DT10 and they both got a lot of use. Locking bar on the DT10 wore out and needed replacing but the firing pins were fine.

Dry firing can damage the pins "sleeve" or "collar" - which stops them internally against the back of the breech when fired - but it rarely happens in practice. I'm not sure of the exact term.

If this happens the pin will look out of shape and (possibly) extend out a little further - not that I have seen one.

Most of us have dry fired a few times in error and seen no damage.

If it shoots it will be Ok. If it doesn't fire, get it looked at without messing yourself.

Back