Holiday Inspiration Required

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob_P

My wife and I (can't get used to saying that after only 7 weeks of marriage), were due to be going on a shooting holiday to Northern Cyprus in early Novemeber. Ten days in the sun, throwing lead into the air and having a good time with a bunch of like minded people. Sadly the dates were changed late in the day, and we can no longer make it, so we have been looking at alternatives, and finding it really difficult to make a decision. So thought we would ask you all for your opinions. Here are the options as I see them, bearing in mind we can't afford the Carribbean or the US, at least this time round. We have between 7-10 days to use up in November. 1. DIY holiday overseas with a bit of shooting, possibly Cyprus, Spain or Turkey. We would buy a package but try and find local ish shooting grounds to have a play. 2. Do a one week tour of some grounds in the UK, find a ground, have a shoot, overnight in a B&B then off to the next one the next day. I personally fancy this, but we would be subject to UK November weather. I've looked at going west incorporating Purbeck, Podimore, Barby and a few others. 3. Forget the shooting and just find a cheap package to the sun, Canaries, Cyprus etc. What would you do?

Pfff hard one but bare in mind you probaly shoot the year around so you might just pick the sun for a change and try and find a coars around for just a day of fun ;)

Problem is Spain Portugal etc weather is very much a lottery at that time of year. If it were me I'd knock the shooting on the head and put the extra into pushing out a bit further to find the sun, or if your keen to shoot do a shed load in this country over a week and do a new ground a day. Midlands is thick with grounds but sure you could work it further s/w if needed.

Turkey is a nice destination for food and sun (been 4 times) but you'll find it hard to find shooting grounds, Cyprus is possibly warmer, but the food is too close to Greek (hence oily) and although you'll only be 40 minutes from a place to shoot clays, they tend to talk a good sporting round but shoot a lot of Olympic Skeet instead. A long ways to go for that I'd say. Never been to Portugal but I'd bet the shooting is good there but holiday prices are mental. Spain is a good one as the food is guaranteed to be good as is reasonable wines but got to do your homework to get a destination close to a clay shoot.  If you're after a shooting holiday nothing beats Blighty. This is the envy of the world for the number and variety of clubs and to be honest I prefer the food here too. I've often thought of doing the same as you plan but found the costs would soon mount. 

I'd say you can shoot all year round - but an autumn holiday in the sun is a blessing. Egypt is amazing and cheap in November, I've been three times and can thoroughly recommend it. However - there is this : http://prescottshooting.com/sh.....idays.html and there is also a place advertised in Pull regularly that offers at hotel with spa and localised Clay Shooting...

A few years ago took the gun on a family holiday to Paphos, Cyprus and found a great local shooting ground in the hills just out of the town. If it is still there they shoot sporting and FITASC at very competitive prices but not much English spoken.Another alternative is the Marbella Gun Club in Spain but as Ed said the weather is more of a gamble.

Thanks for the input guys, we're going for the best of both worlds. Just booked five days in Tenerife, leaving three days leave available for shooting in the UK. Now thinking about whether to have an extended holiday in the US next year, and maybe shoot the World FITASC /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif

I've been thinking about going out to the US for that - can't imagine I'd be much cop in the shooting - but I could deliver the best coverage ever for the site if I went and hung out. It would of course - be the ultimate site meet-up!

Get a thread going Matt, we're up for it, just for the experience if nothing else. I've only shot FITASC once (badly), it was this or the World Skeet, but that's already full of Brits. Wendy has never shot gun down, so there's a learning curve. As it happens we have friends in Chicago, so we thought a weeks shooting followed by a weeks holiday. Thinking about it, that's 9 months or so to get our sporting shooting back on track, could be quite a challenge. Need to find an experienced fitasc coach I think. Hmmmm got us thinking seriously now/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-confused.gif

Hey guys .....don't forget the lead in times for the US paperwork for the Guns......homeland security and all that stuff!!!! You could get the info from Hugh at BICTSF as he will have to sort it out for the GBR team. see http://www.bictsf.com for contact details.

Good information - which reminds me, I must do my 'travelling with guns post' for the main site...

Latest posts

Back