Best starter cartridges

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harley

I'm not sure if these are any good, I bought eley firsts and my new gun & barrels were left in a bad state today, plus I'm using 7.5 is a good starter for someone who can't shoot accurately, or should I go 8's or 9's ?

As always I appreciate your input

H.

not a fan of firsts although I rate olympics just a bit pricey now. Forget shot size for now mate, just shoot the cheapest you can get your hands on and plenty of them :) I'm shooting Kent Velocity 28g plastic 7.5s at the moment at £153 per thou. decent shooting shell at a decent price :)

Firsts are a bit dirty but that won't harm a Beretta. Like Fuz says, use any 7.5 or 8 you can get cheap because they're all better than any of us. The learning curve only gets steeper if you worry about shell or choke brands. 5 quid says Ed will tell you the same thing whenyou go for the lesson. ;)

As long as they don't harm my barrels I'm happy.

I'm sure your correct, so all bets are off ...

While very few of us would benefit from the real high end carts, it does not pay to penny pinch...after all, it is the cart that breaks the clay.

Fiocchi F Blue are cheap enough and very nice carts, avoid Dan Arms.

Gamebore White Gold XLR are fairly cheap, Eley Superbs etc.

Really cheap carts, may give you missfires, and tend to use fast burning propellants which give you a sharper recoil, which affects your second target acquisition and may increase fatigue over a shoot.

Not to mention the quality of shot and the pattern.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you seriously rating XLR's and Superb's the same?

Quite honestly there's nothing out there that wont throw a half decent clay breaking pattern out to 40 yrds, at this stage in Harleys career the main considerations for me would be recoil followed by price, he wont be missing from a slightly sparse pattern its gonna be all technique.

When I started out a few years ago I used Hull CompX 21g at first then swapped to the 28g version once I'd improved my gun mount etc. I found both to be good, cost effective shells with manageable recoil. I'm now using Hull Intercomps, although I recently tried the Fblu's and Cheddites both of which are very nice.

I shoot Kent Velocity, I think apart from special offers they are the cheapest cart on he market. Out of 25000 I have never had a missfire, just one tha sent the hole case up the spout!. Providing you can handle the recoil and I use quite a heavy gun they are great. Gone back to them from Hull Sovs 24g.

It's where you point the gun - don't worry about the shells. Any decent brand will do the job.

Are you seriously rating XLR's and Superb's the same?
No, but they are both decent enough carts that don't break the bank. Obviously there is a price difference and a quality difference, but if you are looking to buy stuff...it helps to have names, then choose which price bracket you are happy to slot into.

Sorry if that was misconstrued.

EDIT: that said, it appears that the Eleys have gone up a touch and are not quite the bargain that they used to be!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's all down to personal perception of what YOU find the best to shoot both in terms of softness on your wallet as well as your shoulder. I'm not recoil sensitive but I do like a smooth shooting cartridge, if nothing else the lack of fatigue helps me concentrate throughout a shoot. I shoot the new Cheddite Universal Traps and at £158/1000 they tick all the boxes for me. If you're at Garlands this coming Sunday let me know and you can try some out.

I'm not totally convinced with the Eley first's, so I've ordered a thousand Cheddites based on the good reviews I've heard, but because I'm so far away from Nick I have to wait a few weeks to collect them, unless I do a long drive out, so in the meantime I used Fblacks, although they get there much faster than the firsts and have noticeably more kick, I'm not prepared to spend lots of money on shooting shells that are missing more than hitting because of my lack of experience.

So as a temporary measure I would like to try Kent Velocity's, as they are much cheaper, Is there someone local to Hertfordshire I can pick up a thousand, at a reasonable price?

Again I would like to stick with something good that I can get used too, and get on a regular basis.

That said if after using Cheddites, If I feel confident with them I may have to order 5k to see me through till nicks next visit.

I use eley Olympics 28grm 7.5 and find they destroy everything I hit (when I hit them) and very very clean won't be changing to anything else

When I spoke to a couple of gunshops near you, I am pretty sure Park St did Fiocchi F Blues or Top ones.

Get some F Blues till you see the other guy.

Avoid Dan Arms. Express HV are ok, but still...try not to.

White gold XLR are nice too, and should be a bit cheaper.

I pay £177 a thou and I've had white golds xlr and found them dirty compaired to the Olympics I must also admit the Olympics are nice on the shoulder to

Latest posts

Back