ear protectors

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonky70

at the moment i use foam ones as i get them free from a factory i deliver to but would you recommened to stay with these or get different ones ie moulded ones that fit your ear?

Personally I dont like sticking anything in my ears, plugs really itch me after a while so I bought some peltor sport-tac cans. not the cheapest but you can hear a conversation whilst waiting but the bang is cancelled out. If you are comfy with the freebies stick with them they will work as well as any other plugs. Fuzrat

Tonky - I just bought some moulded earplugs, very reasonable, I used them for the first time on Sunday... I'm going to write a review, and give you some prices later this week. Hold tight, I'll let you know the details.

I use the cens electronic which fit in the ear,not cheap at £400 but they are very good,not so keen on muffs as they can catch on the gun when you mount

In ear jelly plugs for me, nice and comfy and dont fall out like them foam things I brought some over ear muffs but just cant get on with them, like Optima said they catch on stock when mounting, I shoot gun down when calling for the targets , my teenage son now uses them . Hope that all makes sense ?? Im on the Cider /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif Rob

I have had molded ear protection for 25 years. As you grow older your ear shrinks among other things! Pistol shooting indoors, I use both the molded plugs and muffs. I thought that I lost my ear plugs this summer at a shoot and had new ones molded in August at the Pilla Lobster shoot. The woman does ESP with both the electronic and non. I don't like the electronic as I feel a short spike before the block the noise. The new ESP molded plugs are the best fitting and best dampening plugs that I have ever owned. I use them when hunting. Last Friday, I could not even hear the geese until they came into the decoys! Over the ear types do have  a beter low frequency management system as most of the better ones have liquid silicone as pads. This dampens the low frequencies from the skull. Molded plugs have a higher DCB rating than over the ear. Depending on what you shoot, one or the other or a combination of both, might be usefull. The Lone Canadian,Henry/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif

I went through all the options until I settled on MSA Sordin electronic muffs. I thought I hated muffs (headphones) because I had only used deben ones. Although electronic, I found that like most, they grip your ears too tightly making them uncomfortable after a short while.. Also I clonked the stock on them. Sordin don't grip too tightly, so are comfortable.. The sound is great, with easy buttons for volume. I wear them with the buttons on the right (the wrong way round) as they are narrow on the button panel side so the stock never hits. Muffs are also nice in winter for warmth.The only time I wear plugs is on a really hot day, for comfort. I have some expensive electronic ones, but they are hard and work themselves a bit loose in the ear. Had some much cheaper moulded ones made that are passive, but are very comfortable as they are more jelly like.If money is an issue, you can do worse than nick sponge plugs from work..CheersCSC3

Last edited by a moderator:
Moulded for me....... But I am anal about looking after them as the are my second pair (the first lot after years shrunk a touch as Henry notes and they are now my game plugs so I can hear game coming). I am anal about not losing them because they were SO BLOODY PAINFUL to be made (I have a funny ear canal). Not sure what I will use if I loose them as I cannot face that torture for a third time!!!Hate cans.

I started out with the foam ear plugs but didn't get on with them, I then bought a pair of muffs which were uncomfortable as they were too tight and started to give me headaches. I now use Peltor Sport-Tac's which are very comfortable and can be worn for several hours without issue.  I'm now on my second pair after the first failed and I couldn't get hold of the repair centre despite trying twice a day for over a month so gave up and bought another set. Jon.

I was using Napier Pro 9's.  The little in your ear foam ones that are on a head band.  I thought they were great, until it rained and they actually funnel water into your ears. Now I have rubber in the ear plugs.  I get on very well with them, but hells bells there is some wax on them when I've finished.  Too much info.......

Suck them before you put them in. It gives a great seal and it is antiseptic if it is your own. :)))))))

Haha cotton is baddddd it itches like hell if you thinking of buying earcaps try to find with GEL around the ears the foam i got atm is sweaty and warm all the time the GEL once are realy cool to the ear and has a nice feeling.

JonSkeet said:

I started out with the foam ear plugs but didn't get on with them, I then bought a pair of muffs which were uncomfortable as they were too tight and started to give me headaches. I now use Peltor Sport-Tac's which are very comfortable and can be worn for several hours without issue.  I'm now on my second pair after the first failed and I couldn't get hold of the repair centre despite trying twice a day for over a month so gave up and bought another set. Jon.
I just bought a pair of these for my lad,might give em a try myself,though the after sale you mention dosn't sound to clever/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-frown.gif

I've used foam plugs for the past few years since I grew out of my molded ones. Seem to do an ok job and easy to replace. Hate cans as they hit my stock and ruin my hair ;-)

/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-surprised.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-surprised.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-surprised.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-surprised.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-surprised.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-surprised.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-surprised.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-surprised.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-surprised.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif That is why I don't use cans......the hair/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif

I can appreciate Ed and Nicola being worried about their barnet especially on a sweaty day,but it don't bovver me 'cos I haven't got any.On a science note,ear muffs are more efficient at stopping noise damage because they cover the bony structure behind the ear,which also transmits noise,as well as the ear itself. My muffs have cutaway portions at the bottom so I don't get the clunking on the stock problem. Vic.

Latest posts

Back