snap caps

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonky70

question do you use snap caps and if so what sort and do you leave the firing pin cocked or uncocked

I dont use them my self, I dont see the point of using them in a modern gun, I would use the if I had an old V spring gun perhaps Rob

i use a pair... and the fire the gun so that the tension is released... it's what the guy who sold me the gun said... and I've done it all the time since.

I totally agree with Tim Greenwood on this one. Snap caps get knackered and become ineffective after a few shots. Better to use a 1p coin, held over the pin as you fire each barrel. CSC3

Modern shotguns do use V springs: Perazzi, Beretta in the DT10 series and SO! Snap caps, preferably brass are a good investement. Or, use a fired shotshell and discard! For the Beretta 300 series of shotguns, you hold the bolt partway back and squeeze the trigger (ON AN EMPTY CHAMBER). The hammer will fall forward and NOT hit the firing pin. The Lone Canadian,Henry/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif

No snap caps, no probs so far on any gun, what shall I look out for?

What make shotgun? Do you leave it cocked and locked?Henry/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif

If you had seen some of the numpties I have with snap caps you would be shocked. Especially on game shoots! They are dangerous in the wrong hands! /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif

I never use them- don't like the idea of pullin the trigger in house/car park. Seems you are only a momentary slip away from a horrible mistake!

Hence my point! I have seen it mate!!! Boom Boom not just once but twice car boot had a nice hole! /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif

Never in a million years. Especially not a used cartridge......people can forget.....and then you have numpties!!!!I have seen not only a hole blow in the boot by 'snap caps' grabbed in a rush which were cartridges but also a lovely hole in a drawing room floor after using used cartridges as snap caps (which were in fact real ones):))))))))))Snap caps are 'supposed' to be used as a training aid so that a pupil can pull the trigger on a dry run when a coach shows a target .......... But I tend to get them to use a finger.....they do not tend to blow up!!!

Yep I am with banning them especially on game days along with autos! (which some shoots allow now and again but should never be allowed on a game day) For clays no problem but it makes me very nervous when i see people putting these in the gun and pulling the trigger before putting their gun away. Anything in the right hands is no danger I just hate the thought of snap caps they raise hairs on my back!!! /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-frown.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-frown.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-frown.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-frown.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-frown.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-frown.gif

I'm quite happy to continue using mine - it's part of my cleaning ritual... last thing I do, pop them in, and pull the trigger... but then - I am not a numpty. Another subject with as many opinions as people.

I was the same as you Matt at the start of my shooting .........I clean my gun to within an inch of it's life and always put it away with snap caps in............ :) :)It only takes one experience that you 'actually' witness ......that changes your view for ever. In the mean time good luck.Glen ........autos on a game shoot!!!! No way!!!! I would be off back home. :))

You know as well as I do you see some sights over the years!!! People turning up in the jeans and wellies on good days and camo clothing! Then the dreaded Autos!!! Makes you want to die! /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-frown.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-frown.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-frown.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-frown.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-frown.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-frown.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-frown.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-frown.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-frown.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-frown.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-frown.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-frown.gif

shootclay admin said:

I'm quite happy to continue using mine - it's part of my cleaning ritual... last thing I do, pop them in, and pull the trigger... but then - I am not a numpty.Another subject with as many opinions as people.
Matt, careful! Most snap caps are knackered after 10 go's, so you are possibly stressing the pins now. Do the penny trick! (I will show you when I see you). CheersCSC3

I watch everything on every game day and those who turn up with their ear muffs and their snap caps in use after each drive have to be watched closely in my experience they are usually the ones who are a danger to themselves and others! Luckily they do not come along very often! For Game shooting these things are a big No No. For clay shooting no problem I just have built up an opinion on things based on some of the weird and wonderful things I have seen over all types of shooting! /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif

Latest posts

Back