Recoil pads, best one?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeordieTrapper

Would appreciate opinions on recoil pads to fit inside jackets and vests
Seem to be made by Beretta, Shooterking, Musto, Browning etc, which have members used?

I use the Browning pad insert in my Masters vest but it also fits my American mesh vest,  which I use when it gets warmer.  If your stock is a bit on the long side, you may find your gun snagging your clothing during gun mount. Of course if you are shooting gun up, you can compensate for this. I keep my upper body clothing down to a minimum, choosing technical 'thin' layers,  rather than heavy and bulky sweaters. I bought a used Masters vest on the bay and the pad came with it. I shoot a 725 black thing which has a softish recoil pad anyway.

Forget them altogether!!

I think pads inside vests are awful and ruin any chance you have to feel the gun and locate it properly into the shoulder pocket. They are only OK for corporate days where the only consideration is to not leave a newcomer with a bruise and therefore a lack of enjoyment. 

Get a pad on the gun that allows you to shoot 100+ shells in a t-shirt without discomfort. (You will need a decent gun hold and a gun that fits approximately). I advise a recoil systems green pad, but some others are OK too.

Please do not use a pad within a vest. Will (above) is spot on. They create many more problems with gun fit and mount than they solve. Happy to comment further but I would like to know why you are asking first.

I concur with Will and Freddy. 
whilst I was experimenting trying to find a LoP that suits me, I removed the butt pad from my gun completely and used a Musto branded D30 recoil pad, the rectangular orange type inside my vest. It definitely robbed me of some feel as Will said. I used the pad to make a short temporary pad for my stock by drawing on the pad with a biro around my Stock and cutting two thin butt pads out from it. I stuck the layers together with “super glue” and then taped this to my stock with insulation tape.

This resulted in a LoP that is just what I needed and I had the “feel” I wanted. I also felt less recoil with this pad than with the standard pad and longer LoP. 
It cost next to nothing to fabricate and for me was preferable to making a hasty stock chopping decision.

If your more sure about your LoP then I would probably take the advice of others here

+100 for Will and FP

I use Pachmayr pads on everything and since I'm not recoil sensitive they are usually the 1/2" ones.  They grip fine and keep everything in place and make me happy.  

JMO of course

IF you suffer from a knackered shoulder, anything that can reduce felt recoil is a godsend, believe me. I already use 24 gram cartridges and the 725 is fitted with a softish pad anyway.  I have never felt that the insert type pad (and I have only ever used the Browning type) affects my gun  mounting in any way, or my scores for that matter. There are occasions when I am forced into using my Beretta auto, but I just leave the insert pad in place anyway.  Perhaps after 60 years of shooting my gun mount is OK and somewhat consistent  so that I do not need to 'feel' the gun in my shoulder. I know it is there when the comb meets my cheek. 

The problem with posting at 1am on a Friday after a few G&Ts, is that it never looks good in the morning.

I would agree with you to a large extent Westley. If your mount is good – counterclockwise rotation into the shoulder - then a recoil pad within a vest can be quite helpful. My experience however is that many are used by shooters whose mounts slide the gun into place causing the pad & vest to drag and end up in a different position each time. Even a little slide creates a problem.

My daughter started at the age of 14 and we went though various options. For her it was bit of a Catch 22 – it was not until the guns had a decent recoil pad fitted to them that her mount became consistent. Once her mount was consistent she may have been able to use one in her vest.

Going back to the original poster's question, my daughters vest was a Browning and I found the Browning version inflexible. I think it is really a slab of sorbothane. The Musto D30 system appears better – I also much prefer their vests which are good quality and have the additional 2 inch flap at the front for winter layers and extra roast dinner.

The pads on her guns were “kick Ezz” and now a “Green” – the latter is one of the adjustable ones – see https://www.recoilsystems.com/. I can’t say there is much difference between the two.

One final point – A regular shooting friend had issues with a B25. We looked at the comb and cast and though about various temporary DIY options only to think a new stock was unavoidable. We are partially right, as the stock was swapped, but key was a new kick-ezz with a pitch towards the top of the comb (heel) – advised by a gunsmith and fitted with great success. The pad was contacting in the wrong place. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I would add that it's been my observation that way many shooters use stocks that are way too long and as a consequence mount the gun way far out on the shoulder(arm) and that joint is NOT designed to take that level of loading in that direction at that location.  If the butt pad is not body-side of the joint you're just asking for it.

just sayin'

I had my first 'fitted' gun in 1980, I still have it and use it to this day but, it is a S x S and weighing in at around 6lbs 2ozs. with no recoil pad, I stick to 28 grams of 5's or 6's dependent on the time during the game season. If I fire a box of cartridge, it was a good day.  I only shoot about 4 days in the season now but can still average around 2 for 1. (cartridge/birds).  Most 'modern' guns are far too long in the stock, which is why I see people struggling week in week out. I have had 1/2" removed from my 725,  to make it my usual 14 1/2" L.O.P.  My Beretta, being some 30 years old has a 14 1/4" stock anyway, which I can live with, especially with one of them 'orrible pads' inside my skeet vest. I can still manage 75/80% on a good day with the wind behind me, which all things considered, I can live with. I am a firm believer that one can cope with a short stock better than a long one, pity the manufacturers do not think so  ?  A lot of the people that I have shot with over the years, suffered with short arms, especially when it came to tipping the Keeper  !  

Latest posts

Back