Numpty Cartridge question

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonSkeet2

Hi all, When I first started out I used to use 7.5's for everything, now use 9's for skeet and 8's for sporting. What I'm wondering is what you all use for sporting?  The club and local straw balers I have been doing OK at with 8's but am wondering would using 7.5's be of any advantage at registered sporting shoots with targets that are much further out? or do you take a mix? Cheers, Jon.

The difference between an 8 and a 7.5 is minuscule, stick with 8s and if there Is something past 60 yards a handful of 7s or 6.5s. 8 will rech a long way with a bit of choke though.... I shoot loads of 9s, and 7s for linger stuff, but depends what's sitting in my boot when I arrive!

Mainly 8s for me Jon  using 3/8 and 3/4 chokes /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif Rob

Mainly 7.5's for me... but for no reason other than they have been in front of me when buying.b

8's for me !  after meeting George for the first time I asked him this question and he said he shoots 8's for 90% of his shooting and as Ed says he also puts in a few 6.5's or 7.5's for the longer edgeier stuff, George told me something I didn't know that 8's have about 50ish pickles more than a 7.5 and if those 50ish pickles get in the right place then there's a kill or an even better kill -- it made sense to me. When Ed and us shot over here last month there was 2 guys shootin Fitasc 6.5 loads and although one of them was a team shooter neither of them broke clays any better than our #8's .  

8 for clays7 for pigeon6 for pheasant or rabbits5 for duck4 for Glen's Xmas present3 for geese2 for fox1 for emuslugs for driven boar in case I've lost my catapult

a bit of a mixture there i use 7.5 as thats all ive used since starting shooting but like the idea of 8's whether it will change my results is another thing /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif

I am with Hamster except, I shoot American 8.5 even with the 28 on pheasants and grouse over Oban, my Dhrathar. The best high pheasant loading here is, Federal 1 1/4 Oz MAX American #5. It will reliably take down 60 plus yard birds! We got a bunch of 1 1/8 6s and 4s at 3 1/4 Dr or 1250 fps at 3 feet this past Thursday and Friday at our driven bird shoot. Piece of horse manure!! Hit the bird three times at 40 plus, came down some several hundred yards behind. Nearly all the birds retrieved were only wounded. Friday, 400 birds out, 229 retrieved! The Lone Canadian,Henry/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Hamster said:

8 for clays7 for pigeon6 for pheasant or rabbits5 for duck4 for Glen's Xmas present3 for geese2 for fox1 for emuslugs for driven boar in case I've lost my catapult
You missed  - Cricket Bat for Horne!/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif

Yeah up to 70yards! Through my 26inch skeet gun! /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif

And don't forget the 'skeet dog' for the wounded targets after steel or they will be flapping on the next layout!!

Thanks All :)  Nic, none of my breaks were chippy with 24g steel when we shot skeet together ;) mind you none of yours were either with a fixed choke trap gun :p  Jon.

/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gifIt was a good afternoon /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif

GlenPresley said:

You missed  - Cricket Bat for Horne!/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif
It wasn`t Horne, wish it was, I don't think I`ve ever managed to stay awake there long enough to get past 91 /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif.

That's an awesome excuse..."I was too bored to score better than I did..."I think I need to create a page of brilliant shooting excuses - you'll be the opener Hammy!:)

Latest posts

Back